JK competition? Yeah right! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK competition? Yeah right!

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 12-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
chevychad
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK competition? Yeah right!

I have noticed for quite sometime that the JK has always been compared with or tested in a category with the Hummer H3, and the Toyota FJ cruiser. And that owners of these vehicles will usually bash JK's at any given opportunity. Not that I care that much, as to "me" there is no competition, the JK is hands down the better vehicle, and honestly the closest thing I could compare it with is another wrangler, as there really isn't another vehicle in my opinion that comes close. But on a side note, I have noticed something interesting. Which is the actual reason for me posting this, in hopes that someone who is not decided, and who may be shopping across these three vehicles. The Hummer H3 apparently has water leak issues which sound more prevelant than the JK softop from what I am hearing if you can believe that! Along with the issues of axle assemblies grenading even without offroad use! Amongst many other issues including difficulty aquiring parts to repair failures, and a small aftermarket following. Also '06 models having a cylinder head issue, where the casting is too soft, and the valves actually recess into the head casting causing serious driveability issues and constant misfire! Ouch right? But even worse, Toyota, yeah you know the company that according to the media, and consumer reports, can do no wrong? Well the FJ cruiser has a VERY serious issue! One bad enough I need not mention any other. I am hearing they are having cracking, bulging, and stress fracturing. I am not completely clear on what all is afected, but from what I have read, heard, and been told there are instances (even on non modded, and never offroad driven) where the fender, inner fender, and or frame is cracking, bending, bulging, and or stress fracturing! Apparently Toyota has not yet determined a fix, or a cause yet, and I have read/heard/and or been told this is something to do with the crumple zones for the truck! YIKES! Makes me so happy I'd never consider a Asian vehicle! But you know, I am sad to hear about the Hummer, and what a heap it seems to be. I actually hate the look of the truck, but I must admit, I am, and was raised a GM guy. But admittedly they have very little left in they're lineup I'd allow to be in my driveway. So next time a FJ guy is giving you flack at the trails or in the gas station better remind him to check for cracks in his rig! And for the Hummer guys maybe remind them to be easy about trail use, as parts aren't always so easy to acquire, and those axles are fairly weak. Point is, I don't believe either of the "competition" against JK's can follow a base X everywhere, and I know it's alot easier to remove tops and doors in anycase And yeah doesn't hurt to have the best aftermarket support in the game either. Have fun out there guys and gals

chevychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, you better do your homework a little better. You just earned a F. Have you ever heard of the H3 Alpha? Iíll let you look-up the specs on it and then let you re-take the test. I also have to say that Iím a Jeep guy 100%.
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Another lame thread! Brought to you by chevychad.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
chevychad
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am aware of the alpha model. Yes it has a 5.3 V8, and this year they now offer front and rear lockers, with adventure package, versus the rear locker only previous, also comes with 33'' tires. Guess what, I had an '09 for 8 months. I had huge issues with it, changed brands been happy ever since. Although I do miss the power on the highway. I never even actually wanted it, I wanted a wrangler, but was attempting to be brand loyal, as I had family in the GM plant for years. I was aiming this thread at the "shoppers" as I am always asked about the hummers and the JK since I have first hand experience either way. I know people with FJ's aswell, and have a fair amount of seat time in them. I was only briefly pointing out my thoughts. And waterboarder, unless I am mistaken this is my first thread started in this forum. So how could it be another lame thread? It would be my first. As far as the alpha, it drove better on the road no doubt, was more comfortable too but. It was plagued with troubles, and I learned quickly I was not alone. I have relatives that own H3's aswell, although not alpha models, and they have had most of the same problems as I had. So in short, I give Hummer a thumb down, sorry I wanted to love it, even if it was the ugliest thing I ever owned, but it was just unreliable overall, and the wait on some parts has me wondering if they weren't coming on a slow boat from china. I like the JK even with its quirks. It is my pick out of the 3 vehicles.
chevychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

Look around on these very forums. Jeeps have their fair share of issues, too. Go read a Hummer or FJ forum and you will find people making the same types of posts that are anti-Jeep.

Heck, for that matter, go to the YJ and the TJ and the Cherokee boards on THIS forum and you will find the same attempts to sway people from the JK.

My point is that you are not really helping anyone, regardless of your intentions. People are going to buy what they want to buy. People are going to learn to live with what they choose. There is no dearth of information out there. You are not revealing anything that people who WANT to know don't already know.

Bottom line, there really is no upside to this type of post in THIS type of forum.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

" a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Simon & Garfunkel- the Fighter?
That's my 2 cents, and I am sticking with it...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Man, i thought this was going to be some rock crawling or mud event. Not petty BS
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I have an FJ cruiser and it hasn't had hardly any issues. You should research all the "incidences" of stuff going wrong with the JK.

The FJ may get a crease in the frame but it won't burn to the ground with me inside of it.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
I have an FJ cruiser and it hasn't had hardly any issues. You should research all the "incidences" of stuff going wrong with the JK.

The FJ may get a crease in the frame but it won't burn to the ground with me inside of it.
I have 360 visibility when I take the top off my JK, however my feelings on FJ visibility are in my sig, courtesy of waterboarder.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep View Post
I have 360 visibility when I take the top off my JK, however my feelings on FJ visibility are in my sig, courtesy of waterboarder.
Too bad I don't have sigs turned on. But I'm pretty sure I know what quote you're using (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hi Chevychad, tough crowd around here! Well I found your post informative and helpful.

Happy Holidays
Unread 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wheel a JK rubicon, and sometimes an FJ as my sister has one and we all go on wheelin trips together....

The FJ is actually pretty good offroad and has lots of power (which i love). Hers has the rear locker and can climb very well.

While yes i would rather have a JK, i still enjoy the FJ. Also the FJ is a blast in the sand. I think it does better than our wrangler (on the beach)
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
wbower
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi. I thought I would interject my own ideas into this thread.

Its called the paragraph. Create one with a slap of the ENTER button.

wbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
jbriones
2008 JK Wrangler 

easy on the guy starter of this forum...if you dont like the opinion there is a back button...i really dont see a point in being a **** over an opinion.
jbriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
tclaremont
2014 JK Wrangler 

I, personally, was not trying to be a thread basher, but rather trying to explain why the post was not going to go anywhere. His point may (or may not) be perfectly valid, but this sure ain't the place to find an audience for it.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.