JK Caster - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Caster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Generally balance issues, but yes crappy joints a few times and a couple seized up slips, though I have had the seized slip issue with Coast, as well...coast replaced it for me at no cost well outside of a year, while Tom Woods did nothing to help. We don't call them anymore.

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
razor1115
1985 CJ7 

AEV brackets arrive today. Will follow up after install. Also to note, I understand the clearance comments. I also looked at the rear, stock lower control arm bracket and it appears to hang lower than the front bracket lower control arm bracket. I didn't measure it yet, just my observation, which makes my bracket decision easier for me (along with realigning the control arms to minimize load input through the frame = better ride, and the pinion angle issue), compered to adjustable control arms.
razor1115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep drinking that kool-aid

Seriously though, the brackets aren't a bad choice for what most of the aev followers build (something that looks good and seldom sees a gravel or dirt road). I'll never argue that, and there's nothing wrong with going for the look and driving it like any other car. Frankly, I wish I had a second JK with the look that I could drive daily
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

My experience from the last 4 years of dragging them over medium-sized rocks (like below) and bigger is that they haven't been a bad choice either.
attachment-1.jpg  
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

They just won't let your axle do this

I'm not saying they don't work...just that what works and what is best are two different things, and also relevant to what you're using it for.
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
They just won't let your axle do this
My fenders/bumpstops won't let my axle do that.

Quote:
I'm not saying they don't work...just that what works and what is best are two different things, and also relevant to what you're using it for.
I understand that in theory, but after having wheeled for so long with these brackets, I'm not sure how that actually works.

Your pic shows some awesome flex that I know I can't match, but in the four years of following JK's with adj. control arms across rocks like (and bigger than) the one you're on, I haven't run into a situation where "lack of flex" has either stopped me, or made things harder. So I'm not sure what moving from "what works" to "what is best" actually gains me, if that makes sense.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
So I'm not sure what moving from "what works" to "what is best" actually gains me, if that makes sense.
Traction

The less you're carrying tires, the better.
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
My fenders/bumpstops won't let my axle do that.

I understand that in theory, but after having wheeled for so long with these brackets, I'm not sure how that actually works.

Your pic shows some awesome flex that I know I can't match, but in the four years of following JK's with adj. control arms across rocks like (and bigger than) the one you're on, I haven't run into a situation where "lack of flex" has either stopped me, or made things harder. So I'm not sure what moving from "what works" to "what is best" actually gains me, if that makes sense.
One thing I've found is driving skill goes way further than rig capabilities. Stick someone who knows what they are doing in just about any rig and they will impress. Then you also have to account for the JK owners who are scared to scratch or dent their rig yet want it to be as capable as a buggy for their gravel road treks.

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
razor1115
1985 CJ7 

Ok - parts received last night and installed last night update. The Jeep steers pretty close to stock again. I can now one-hand drive 70mph down the interstate, so caster is back. The ride is darn near back to factory, but going from 29" to 35x12.50" M/T, adding in a 4" suspension lift, you can't expect exact same OEM results. The ride is also less jarring, as the control arm geometry is now close to parallel to the ground, effectively minimizing the Y-axis input of force into the control arm up into the Jeep frame. Front drive shaft angle looks awesome. Those last two items wouldn't be resolved by adjustable control arms, so that's a benefit to me. Others would prefer to not lose the ~1-1.5" of ground clearance.

My measurements from the lower spring perch to the bottom of the frame was 7.25", as outlined by AEV in the install instructions. That called for hole #2 on the upper control arm AEV bracket. I elected to go to the bottom hole, adding a touch more caster, as I didn't want to mess with it again. My lift is a true 4", which states I should be in the bottom hole, per AEV. My MEASUREMENTS indicate I should be in hole #2. My decision was driven by not wanting to find I didn't have enough caster and mess with it again. All-in-all, pleased with the results, especially for $99 and 1 1/2 of my time.

My experiences with the AEV correction brackets:
  • The kit was easy to install, but had to take the drivers side upper control arm off the axle to get it out of the frame side bracket (clearance). No big deal, just retorque when installed
  • The passenger upper control arm frame bolt JUST cleared the exhaust hanger with no prying. Driver's side bolt was put in from Jeep in the correct direction to allow the bolt to slide out to the outside of the Jeep, not interferring with the exhaust to the inside (ie no need to cut any bolts)
  • Dont know what older JKUs have for heat shields, but my 2013 has one around the upper control arm, frame side to protect the bushing from catalytic converter heat. The shields need to be formed by hand back around this area after AEV bracket install. No provision in bracket to reinstall the lower heat shield bolt. No big deal, but will need to center punch, drill and tap a hole if you want it held by 2 fasteners. Should be room to do this, even after install
  • Ratchet straps make life VERY easy when shifting axle around to align bolt holes
  • Would be nice if all the supplied hardware has the same socket size as the OEM (no biggie)

My $.02, pleased with the results.

Last edited by razor1115; 06-22-2013 at 05:33 AM..
razor1115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.