JK came with Bug Deflector, question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK came with Bug Deflector, question?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

JK came with Bug Deflector, question?

I just bought a 2011 JKU in mango tango color or as I call it Orange. Anyway it came from the dealer with a bug deflector installed, both taped and screwed into the underneath of the hood. I kind of like how it looks but I am wondering what the benefits are to having a bug deflector, it honestly never crossed my mind to put a bug deflector on however I don't know if I should remove because once it is off obviously the tape is destroyed. So I am not asking for people to bash it just opinions as to if it is a beneficial to leave it on or just a waste. Looking for some other points of views to help me decide

As a side question the deflector screws underneath only 1 of them have a washer on the other is without a washer between the screw and the deflector, are they important to have washers in there?

Again I do like how it looks but I have yet to see a JK in the same color without a bug deflector. Also it is the weather tech deflector and does not have any contact with the hood of the Jeep

Last edited by ironbike; 05-25-2013 at 04:34 PM..
ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you go offroad in the brush and trees, it won't be on there for long. As a street vehicle though, it's all up to you. It might even actually keep some of the bugs off the windshield.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i put one after I had my first rock chip. same type but just used the tape, no screws. It protects the leading edge of hood, does zip for the window. since the install i have a second rock chip andthe bugs still get on the window.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not that I never plan to offroad with it but as of right now I have not gone offroad. My last Jeep was an 87 and that saw a bit of trail time. I will leave it for now I guess it is not harming anything being there, which is my main concern
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i been throughthe rubicon moab and more trails in AZ than I can count. ripped off my plastic fenders and plate dented the jeep. more scratches than if fredy crugger waxed it. The deflector lives on.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i been throughthe rubicon moab and more trails in AZ than I can count. ripped off my plastic fenders and plate dented the jeep. more scratches than if fredy crugger waxed it. The deflector lives on.
Well that sounds good to me. I do like how it looks just nice to know that it actually serves a purpose
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

like i said it does nothing for the window. But it does keep the chips off the edge of the hood. I could see though it getting caught on things, in reverse. If it was to break off, i would not buy another. Unless for some reason after its gone I lose mpg.
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
like i said it does nothing for the window. But it does keep the chips off the edge of the hood. I could see though it getting caught on things, in reverse. If it was to break off, i would not buy another. Unless for some reason after its gone I lose mpg.
Or horsepower!
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbike View Post
I just bought a 2011 JKU in mango tango color or as I call it Orange.
Congrats on an excellent choice of color. I have zero opinion on the bug deflector.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Or horsepower!
one thing the 012+ do not have is a lack of power.

also it does nothing for hood flutter.
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Damn I thought decals made more HP

I plan to leave it on for now, however I just parked next to a red JKU picking up dinner and he did not have a bug deflector. I kind of like the look without too....

Decisions decisions Could be worse
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

they are mounted under the hood so removing is simple. heck like the stock fenders all you have to do is grab and rip them off. I like the way mine looks . kinda grew on me. kind of like eye brows on the heep.

Unread 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Nice looking JK. Eventually I would like to get larger wheels maybe 33"
That is if I don't do a lift
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
jimk403
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wife has a Wade bug deflector. Does not keep the bugs off the windshield as far as I can tell. It did possibly save her life one time when a bolt fell off a passing truck. The bolt ripped through the bug deflector and still put a hole in the windshield, right in front of my wife's face. I believe the bug deflector slowed the bolt enough to prevent a major incident. It was a 'company truck', and they did pay for the new windshield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.