JK came with Bug Deflector, question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK came with Bug Deflector, question?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

JK came with Bug Deflector, question?

I just bought a 2011 JKU in mango tango color or as I call it Orange. Anyway it came from the dealer with a bug deflector installed, both taped and screwed into the underneath of the hood. I kind of like how it looks but I am wondering what the benefits are to having a bug deflector, it honestly never crossed my mind to put a bug deflector on however I don't know if I should remove because once it is off obviously the tape is destroyed. So I am not asking for people to bash it just opinions as to if it is a beneficial to leave it on or just a waste. Looking for some other points of views to help me decide

As a side question the deflector screws underneath only 1 of them have a washer on the other is without a washer between the screw and the deflector, are they important to have washers in there?

Again I do like how it looks but I have yet to see a JK in the same color without a bug deflector. Also it is the weather tech deflector and does not have any contact with the hood of the Jeep

Last edited by ironbike; 05-25-2013 at 03:34 PM..
ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you go offroad in the brush and trees, it won't be on there for long. As a street vehicle though, it's all up to you. It might even actually keep some of the bugs off the windshield.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i put one after I had my first rock chip. same type but just used the tape, no screws. It protects the leading edge of hood, does zip for the window. since the install i have a second rock chip andthe bugs still get on the window.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not that I never plan to offroad with it but as of right now I have not gone offroad. My last Jeep was an 87 and that saw a bit of trail time. I will leave it for now I guess it is not harming anything being there, which is my main concern
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i been throughthe rubicon moab and more trails in AZ than I can count. ripped off my plastic fenders and plate dented the jeep. more scratches than if fredy crugger waxed it. The deflector lives on.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i been throughthe rubicon moab and more trails in AZ than I can count. ripped off my plastic fenders and plate dented the jeep. more scratches than if fredy crugger waxed it. The deflector lives on.
Well that sounds good to me. I do like how it looks just nice to know that it actually serves a purpose
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

like i said it does nothing for the window. But it does keep the chips off the edge of the hood. I could see though it getting caught on things, in reverse. If it was to break off, i would not buy another. Unless for some reason after its gone I lose mpg.
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
like i said it does nothing for the window. But it does keep the chips off the edge of the hood. I could see though it getting caught on things, in reverse. If it was to break off, i would not buy another. Unless for some reason after its gone I lose mpg.
Or horsepower!
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbike View Post
I just bought a 2011 JKU in mango tango color or as I call it Orange.
Congrats on an excellent choice of color. I have zero opinion on the bug deflector.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Or horsepower!
one thing the 012+ do not have is a lack of power.

also it does nothing for hood flutter.
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Damn I thought decals made more HP

I plan to leave it on for now, however I just parked next to a red JKU picking up dinner and he did not have a bug deflector. I kind of like the look without too....

Decisions decisions Could be worse
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

they are mounted under the hood so removing is simple. heck like the stock fenders all you have to do is grab and rip them off. I like the way mine looks . kinda grew on me. kind of like eye brows on the heep.

Unread 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Nice looking JK. Eventually I would like to get larger wheels maybe 33"
That is if I don't do a lift
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wife has a Wade bug deflector. Does not keep the bugs off the windshield as far as I can tell. It did possibly save her life one time when a bolt fell off a passing truck. The bolt ripped through the bug deflector and still put a hole in the windshield, right in front of my wife's face. I believe the bug deflector slowed the bolt enough to prevent a major incident. It was a 'company truck', and they did pay for the new windshield.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.