JK Bumpers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Bumpers?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 06-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
HowUDerin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

JK Bumpers?

Im sure its been covered before, but i didn t see it.

Are the JK's bumpers made of plastic??? Don't get me wrong, i have never had the opprotunity to take my TJ rock climbing, but if i did, i wouldnt worry that if a rock rubbed against my bumper, that the rock will carve out a small hole in my bumper instead of just scratching it. SO if they are plastic bumpers...what was DC thinking??

HowUDerin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Already make a factory winch bumper option and the aftermarket is already researching. Who cares about stick crap anyways? Break it and upgrade.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

I believe they're steel wrapped in and capped with plastic.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
HowUDerin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

really? i don't know, i was just judging by the picture, and IMO they look like the same type of plastic material that like the ARB snorkel is made of.
HowUDerin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just one more excuse for a winch bumper and a spare tire carrier in back!
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure I remember reading that they ARE plastic. Frankly, I'm suprised they've passed the various government standards as long as they have with that chunk of steel they call a bumper on my TJ! lol I'm not too worried; as has been said before, the aftermarket will be coming out with upgrades fairly quickly. Several aftermarket companies have already had access to the JK, so I'm sure it won't take too long.
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
XJ2Timer

I believe European law requires a softer front end for vehicles for pedestrian safety. That is one reason the Compass front end has those big cheeks on it. They can't just tell people not to jaywalk. Even in the US there are States that want to outlaw dealers from selling new vehicles that have added grill guards or aftermarket bumpers. Tell the stupid people to get out of the street!
Unread 07-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unless it's changed lately, Europe used to have much LESS strict bumper requirements. Back when I had a Focus, the European-spec bumpers were much smaller and less bulbous than the US-spec cars, since they didn't require the same level of impact absorbtion. That's as recently as 2004; it may have changed since then but I doubt it.

One of the great things about Europe is that they don't protect the morons of their populace from their own stupidity; You step out in front of traffic? You die. Simple as that. No reason MY CAR should carry twenty pounds of extra padding because some ******* can't look both ways. lol

But you're right about some states trying to ban the addition of push bars and grill guards. Which is sorta funny, since 90% of police vehicles have them!
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMacLeod
But you're right about some states trying to ban the addition of push bars and grill guards. Which is sorta funny, since 90% of police vehicles have them!
Off topic but here in Texas they passed a law that requires drivers to either change lanes or if unable to, slow down to 15-20 mph below the speed limit when passing a cop when they have their lights on giving a ticket or whatever. Too many cops were getting hit by drivers. I wonder how many collisions this will cause. A theory of mine is that the new LED lights are so bright and flash so quickly that drivers are being dazzled and can't see. There should be a dimmer on them after they come to a stop.
They would still be plenty bright to see from a distance but they wouldn't blind at 50 feet. They don't have to be as bright at night as they are during the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.