JK Bumper/winch weight problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Bumper/winch weight problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
noah2626
1987 YJ Wrangler 

JK Bumper/winch weight problem

Guys, I need a little help... My wife was rear ended a few months ago in her JK and pushed into the truck in front of her. Well I took the chance and replaced the plastic bumpers with ARB bumpers front and back. With the front ARB Deluxe bumper and winch, I added roughly 200lb to the frontend. Now it handles like **** and it looks like it's squatting in the front. Is there a good solution for this? Has anyone had this problem? Would replacing the shocks do it?

Thanks

img_1617.jpg   img_1620.jpg  
noah2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
animated_robot
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm running into a similar problem but in the back. I just ordered some spacers to make up the difference. Not sure how much your sagging but they make different size spacers to adjust for sag height.
animated_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

hmmm.... havent heard of ppl having problem with sagging, see if you can get some rubicon towing springs.... i want to say their stiffer

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

new coil springs - old man emu mediums front, lights rear would probably level it back out without lifting, if you're not interested in lifting - someone correct me here if my choice of spring is incorrect

Edit: better yet, call dave at northridge 4x4 (northridge4x4DOTcom). I'm sure he will have a good solution for you
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Synthetic Line should help lighten up the winch weight quite a bit too!
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
plrbear
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you happen to have the alignment checked afterwards?

2008 2dr JK Mostly stock...
http://www.jackstireandoil.com
Utah Jeep Crew #09
plrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Synthetic rope FTW!!!!!!

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Teraflex leveling kit.

I have the arb bumper and that fixed my problem.

Less than $200 on quadratec. Gotta drop suspension, but isn't too hard.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

My stock springs didn't like my winch and metal bumper either (lost 3/4" in the front).

New springs will fix it. I got a TF 2.5" spring lift.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget air-bags...You'll get rid of a A LOT of weight if you get a synthetic line like a member sated earlier.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
noah2626
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can see it's got the top of the tires turned in when driving down the road.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
noah2626
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went with this bumper because they said it was one of the few that were compatable with the airbags. But I never saw any signs of a sensor for the bag while putting on the bumper.

On the lift... I'm not ready to spend money on new tires yet, so if I add 2.5in I'm not sure if it will look right.
But I brought this to my wife for the first time last night and she says that it feels dangerous around hard turn. I know I have to make a change in the setup, thank you for everyone's help. I'm going to look into the leveling kit.
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice bumper, put 1" spacers on top of the front springs.
----------------------------------------------------------
08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ Sahara fully locked
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah2626 View Post
I went with this bumper because they said it was one of the few that were compatable with the airbags. But I never saw any signs of a sensor for the bag while putting on the bumper.

On the lift... I'm not ready to spend money on new tires yet, so if I add 2.5in I'm not sure if it will look right.
But I brought this to my wife for the first time last night and she says that it feels dangerous around hard turn. I know I have to make a change in the setup, thank you for everyone's help. I'm going to look into the leveling kit.
The crush cans make it "airbag compatible". On a lighter forward impact the crush cans absorb the energy and hopefully the airbags wont deploy unless needed. Most aftermarket bumpers don't have crush cans. With out crush cans the airbag might deploy on a lighter impact. The airbags will work regardless of the bumper installed.

The sensor isn't in the bumper. IIRC the sensor is below the center console and each seat has a sensor.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Airbags don't use pressure sensors they use a computer installed inside the vehicle. The computer will deploy the airbag when the delta V (change in velocity) meets a specified level. The computer actually predicts an accident based on it's measured perimeters and deploys the airbags upon impact. Second generation airbags have two charge loads and will deploy one or both depending on the delta V reading and whether or not the occupant is wearing a seatbelt. If the occupant is not wearing a seatbelt the delta V levels necessary to trigger a deployment are lowered and both charges will fire in order to get the airbag deployed faster.

The delta V required to deploy the airbag can not be obtained by locking up the brakes. The G forces required are far greater than the capabilities of a standard production braking system.
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.