JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   JK Bumper/Winch (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jk-bumper-winch-1338458/)

jokerswild2k 03-05-2012 10:41 AM

JK Bumper/Winch

I've got an '08 Rubicon that is pretty much stock (hard to get parts when stationed overseas). Now that I'm back stateside I'm looking to start the upgrade process. I've been looking at a lot of bumpers and winches and scrubbing this forum. I'm leaning heavily towards the Wild Boar front bumper. I love the look, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it's functionality, tire clearance (eventually I'm planning on going up to 35's), etc. Also torn between the Warn VR8000 and the M8000. I'm trying to decide if saving a couple hundred bucks is worth it since the M8000 is such a proven winch. This rig is my DD, and I try to get into the sand/trails every weekend with a couple of long-range trips (Georgia/Alabama) per year. Any advice, input, or personal experience/opinions are greatly appreciated.

bjdean16 05-04-2012 11:06 AM

I went with the M8000 for a cheaper price than the VR8000. Double the line spend and American made! :2thumbsup: Streetside auto has the M8000 for $459 after rebate. Use coupon AFQ21230. I also picked up a body armor high clearance front bumper about a month ago.

SubAtomicGenius 05-04-2012 02:42 PM

Warn M-Series and XD-Series are the "premium" series winch. Warn VR-Series is the "entry" level winch. You get what you pay for. Read all about them at www.warn.com

Brian_in_MT 05-04-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjdean16 (Post 13515927)
I went with the M8000 for a cheaper price than the VR8000. Double the line spend and American made! :2thumbsup: Streetside auto has the M8000 for $459 after rebate. Use coupon AFQ21230. I also picked up a body armor high clearance front bumper about a month ago.

Edit, nevermind. I misread.

Both are made in America though.

Orange1 05-05-2012 06:49 AM

Another chioice is aluminum bumpers. I purchased the RR XHD series aluminum front bumper and saved much weight. They are really not that more expensive than steel bumpers with the same features. Save that weight!

Coppage 05-05-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1
Another chioice is aluminum bumpers. I purchased the RR XHD series aluminum front bumper and saved much weight. They are really not that more expensive than steel bumpers with the same features. Save that weight!

How tough are the aluminum bumpers should you say... Bump into something or get bumped? Will they bend or dent easy?

Thanks.

zjilla 05-05-2012 11:29 AM

as for winches....you get what you pay for so be careful. just remember that the winch could be put to a lot of workload so i wouldn't skimp. Some people have had great experiences with cheaper winches and some have had horror stories. ask molshove

PhatJK 05-05-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppage (Post 13520356)
How tough are the aluminum bumpers should you say... Bump into something or get bumped? Will they bend or dent easy?

Thanks.

A common misconception of aluminum is weaker than steel. If you have enough thickness of aluminum to handle the mechanical stress, then aluminum behaves just like steel or better than steel and is lighter too.

Sheet steel is used in automobile, Jeep included, because it is many times more cost efficient comparing to aluminum. If aluminum is cheaper, we are all driving in aluminum cars.

taoshum 05-05-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatJK (Post 13521102)
A common misconception of aluminum is weaker than steel. If you have enough thickness of aluminum to handle the mechanical stress, then aluminum behaves just like steel or better than steel and is lighter too.

Sheet steel is used in automobile, Jeep included, because it is many times more cost efficient comparing to aluminum. If aluminum is cheaper, we are all driving in aluminum cars.

For a beam, (bumpers) the deflection is usually proportional to the EI product. E for Aluminum is 1/3 that of Steel, so the Aluminum needs to be 3X's thicker for the same geometry to have the same deflection. It weighs about 1/3 as much as steel so it kinda balances out. Aluminum is usually much softer though so impact damage on the "surface" will be much easier... gouges, scraps, etc. For the same geometry (thickness), Aluminum will weigh far less.

PhatJK 05-05-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taoshum (Post 13521147)
For a beam, (bumbers) the deflection is usually proportional to the EI product. E for Aluminum is 1/3 that of Steel, so the Aluminum needs to be 3X's thicker for the same geometry to have the same deflection. It weighs about 1/3 as much as steel so it kinda balances out. Aluminum is usually much softer though so impact damage on the "surface" will be much easier... gouges, scraps, etc. For the same geometry (thickness), Aluminum will weigh far less.

I think you are correct for the proportional load in axial. Beam deflection I believe is less for aluminum for an equivalent stress due to the MC/I. And when you design for the "I" term carefully, you get a stiffer alum structure for equivalent strength. You see high end car like Corvette ZR6 using deep section aluminum channels because they want to get the high "I" to maximize the stiffness to weight. The same thing for other monocoque race cars.

But for the run of the mill bumper plate, 3x the thickness should suffice.

bjdean16 05-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_in_MT (Post 13517862)
Edit, nevermind. I misread.

Both are made in America though.

Not exactly true...M8000 winch is 100% made in America. The VR is assembled in American with the use of foreign manufactured parts. This is how they keep the cost down and compete with the Chinese winches.

I'm not saying it's a bad winch and if I were to go with a foreign winch I would prefer Warn to stand behind it! But at less than $100 difference and double the line speed...I'll choose the M8000 everytime. :thumbsup:

wardo 05-07-2012 01:37 PM

I've got the warn m8000 on my rig. the way I see it, a poor man can't afford to buy cheap.

plus if I ever need to bust out the winch, I want to know darn well that its gonna get the job done, not just hope.

The time now is 03:33 PM.