JK Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-16-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK Build

Alright guys I need your help on this one. No BS this will be a Serious build. Should I buy a new 4-door Rubicon or buy a plain Jane and build it? Buy axels, Atlas case, Long arm lift? Money wise what is the best way to go. If I do the Rubicon I will lift it put gears in bumpers just to make it crawl ready. This will be my last build for a LONG time at least thatís what the Wife is saying.
If any body has done this i would like some pictures to help make this call

Thanks Jim

JC KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I guess if you buy the Rubicon it wont be much of a build. Bumpers and gears I mean. Buy an X, D60's, ATlas, etc etc etc. Rubicon is a waste if your going to build it.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
Well, I guess if you buy the Rubicon it wont be much of a build. Bumpers and gears I mean. Buy an X, D60's, ATlas, etc etc etc. Rubicon is a waste if your going to build it.
what he said

how big is this build you are going to do?

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats what I mean Buy and JK-X D60's, ATlas and what ever else. Would it be cost effective to do this or buy a Rubicon? This is a Toy I am not going to Trash it on the rocks. Just want a clean looking rig that can handel some minor crawling.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a friend that bought the Rubicon and then built it with D60s and 40's ---- he went with the Rubicon for the resale value of the D44 front axle; selling the two D44s was like getting one of the D60s free.

But why are you thinking of 60s if you're not planning some intensity? If it will be gently used, just stick with 44s and 35" tires...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank You that is what I was waiting to hear. I didn't know if it would be worth the time and money
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
TTsupra911
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If your not planning on doing some serious crawling even the stock Sport model would be just fine for what your looking to do. The stock sport model is quite capable. Add some armor, tires and go wheel.
Unread 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
chickenhawk7
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the above 2 posts. I have been climbing on rocks with my Sahara. I have 35s on there, but stil stock axles. I would just go with a Rubicon and put some 35s and some bumpers and rock sliders and maybe add a little protection underneath. You will be set with that setup. I am very capable with what I run, but I would get a Rubicon if I was doing it over again.
chickenhawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

"No BS this will be a serious build"

You fooled me saying that. Buy a rubi, 2.5 Budget boost, and 35's. Keep in mind, a bone stock 91 yj with street tires went every where I did Saturday in the middle of the worste storm(producing serious mud) Ive seen in a long time. So, if your gonna do light stuff, even a stock X will do a TON more than you think off road.
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

You don't need a long arm lift unless you plan on lifting it 5 or more inches.
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
You fooled me saying that. Buy a rubi, 2.5 Budget boost, and 35's.
I don't like BBs on Unlimiteds that might be adding bumpers and other heavy gear.
I'd steer him toward an OME or 2.5" Teraflex spring lift.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I don't like BBs on Unlimiteds that might be adding bumpers and other heavy gear.
I'd steer him toward an OME or 2.5" Teraflex spring lift.
It went from serious no BS build crawl ready, to BB light trail minial crawl in about 9 posts. lol.

Hilldweller is right though.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Guys looks like I will be going ZONE 4" lift and 538 gears. 37 BFGs
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC KJ View Post
Guys looks like I will be going ZONE 4" lift and 538 gears. 37 BFGs
What Jeep are those going on? Nice choices btw.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

2010 Rubicon Called my dealer just a hour ago
Guys thanks for the help I should have been more upfront on info My Bad.
I was really thinking x but I got a deal on this one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.