JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   JK Brakes - Rhyme & Reason? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jk-brakes-rhyme-reason-1822874/)

Livin4Today 11-24-2013 11:24 AM

JK Brakes - Rhyme & Reason?

Hey Everybody!

I am a frequent visitor to JF, first time poster trying to prove or dispell a "rumor" I had read about a bolt on option for improving JK braking.

I had read or heard that one could simply bolt on a set of WJ calipers and pads and improve the braking dramatically. Can anyone shed any light on this idea as to works, direct/not direct bolt-up, and maybe provide pictures and ideas on where to source such parts?

Thanks! :cheers2:

SoK66 11-26-2013 01:28 PM

I have not heard that rumor. A few of us looked into possible factory sourced upgrades for the JK's wimpy brakes and ended up a blind alley. Some export market JKs are equipped with dual piston calipers and 13" rotors, as is the military spec J8. We've not been able to find part numbers for them. There was also a rumor that the Ram 1500s rotors & calipers would work, but that turned out not to be the case. Back to square one.

What will work like a MoFo is Teraflex's Big Brake Kit, along with their master cylinder replacement on the pre-2010 JKs. (Not sure on that model year breal BTW). I put the kit on my '09 JKUR and it solved the problem utterly. I have Spyntec front hubs, so I had to have the rotor center hole opened up and some backing plates made for the wheel studs to seat on inside the rotor hat. On a spec JK it's just a bolt on. Somewhat expensive but it gets the job done. They have a new kit uses the stock calipers. It's just the 13" rotors and a replacement caliper support. Have not heard how it works.

mrwhipple 11-26-2013 01:54 PM

The restraint brake setup from rebel off-road is quite good, it's a rotor & pad replacement set front & back. Definitely a difference from stock & it's quiet too.

Another option is the 3 piston front calipers from SSBC. They use a larger corvette pad with that setup.

XTRyan 11-26-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livin4Today (Post 17971610)
Hey Everybody!

I am a frequent visitor to JF, first time poster trying to prove or dispell a "rumor" I had read about a bolt on option for improving JK braking.

I had read or heard that one could simply bolt on a set of WJ calipers and pads and improve the braking dramatically. Can anyone shed any light on this idea as to works, direct/not direct bolt-up, and maybe provide pictures and ideas on where to source such parts?

Thanks! :cheers2:

I'm not 100% sure, but you may be talking about swapping WJ steering knuckles onto the D30. This is a swap that some TJ owners have done to increase braking performance. I know that this swap requires a good bit of fab on the TJ's due to unit bearing spacing.

The bolt on kits that are mentioned in this thread are going to be the easiest options to install, even though they might be hard on the wallet.

Let us know what you decide to do!

-Ryan

Maertz 11-26-2013 04:43 PM

theres a massive thread on wayalife.com going very indepth on jk (mostly) bolt on upgrades that will out perform the teraflex big brake kit.

SoK66 11-28-2013 11:40 AM

Just checked it out, interesting (LONG!) read. The gys done some great research, but at the point I stopped reading was at $500+ without having found a caliper mount bracket. The TF kit is within "convenience cost" range. The Dodge Nitro MC does appear to be that same as the TF Big Bore MC. Save yourself about $140. Buy the rest of TF's kit and be happy.

Maertz 11-28-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 18090554)
Just checked it out, interesting (LONG!) read. The gys done some great research, but at the point I stopped reading was at $500+ without having found a caliper mount bracket. The TF kit is within "convenience cost" range. The Dodge Nitro MC does appear to be that same as the TF Big Bore MC. Save yourself about $140. Buy the rest of TF's kit and be happy.

yeah thats been a long time in the works, with no solid part numbers to get yet. once hes got it down he claims hell be releasing everything, but who knows. I agree with you, in the mean time way easier to just get the tf portion.

RedRubiconLJ 11-29-2013 10:53 AM

I had a huge brake improvement with my LJ when I added centric premium rotors and EBC yellow pads. Ill be doing the same on my JK. ~$200 shipped to my door for all of it.

The time now is 06:16 PM.