JK Brake Noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK Brake Noise

I've been battling a brake noise issue for quite a while. About a year ago, I took it in and they replaced pads and said it would fix it. Well it did help for a few months then the chirp/click/squeal (whatever you call the noise) started coming back. I had a friend hang out of the back of the Jeep to figure out what wheel it was and it turns out it was the drivers side rear brake. Ironically, it sounds a lot like what is being discussed in this old thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...raking-215501/

I took it to my local Firestone recently for a free brake inspection. They said all looked great but they adjusted my "silencer pad" (which i think they maybe meant brake shim but idk). The noise was definitely less after I picked it up, but quickly came back after a few days driving.

The sound only happens when I start to brake and goes away after I brake hard. What's weird is after Firestone looked at it I swear I hear the noise faintly even when I'm not braking but it definitely gets louder when I apply the brakes. It is a metal on metal type of sound and is rotational. Here is a clip of the exact sound:

I found this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...-pads-1255253/ and picked up some disc brake quiet and plan to apply it to my clips to see if that helps. I also see in this thread that he applies grease to the inside of the clips, piston, and caliper arms. Not sure what type of grease this is though.

I'm grasping at straws and am tired of the noise. For all I know it could just be some cheap pad that is just giving me issues and I need to replace with a better pad. I plan to take it all apart sometime this week so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

I feel you pain. I have the same noise. And you're not hearing things; it does it sometimes when you're not applying the brakes just driving down the road. I believe the caliper slides are sticking. As you mentioned, the answer is likely a good cleaning and some brake grease on the slides. It is special copper based grease. Do NOT use regular grease!

Thats what I plan to do this fall. But mine definitely does exactly the same thing. Mine is the passenger front.

I assumed mine did it because in the winter I use a car wash with jets that shoot water under the truck to clean the salt crap off the under side. Probably not what you're running into in AR though.

Good luck!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth View Post
I feel you pain. I have the same noise. And you're not hearing things; it does it sometimes when you're not applying the brakes just driving down the road. I believe the caliper slides are sticking. As you mentioned, the answer is likely a good cleaning and some brake grease on the slides. It is special copper based grease. Do NOT use regular grease!

Thats what I plan to do this fall. But mine definitely does exactly the same thing. Mine is the passenger front.

I assumed mine did it because in the winter I use a car wash with jets that shoot water under the truck to clean the salt crap off the under side. Probably not what you're running into in AR though.

Good luck!
Well it's good to hear that I'm not the only one in existence having this problem. It's a really fickle problem too. Like the drive this morning, it barely made a peep. But I know later it will be sounding the alarm. So this copper based grease...do local places sell it? I looked the other day at Autozone for any type of "brake grease" and couldn't find it. I'll try to get some of that before I tear everything apart and see if that fixes things.

I'm not sure what caused it. In a way, it's been doing it off and on ever since I bought it in 2012. I don't notice it as much in the winter time but not sure if that is because I can't hear it since I have the top and doors on or if the cold somehow magically helps. Every time I have something done to the brakes, the noise is less for about a day usually and then comes back. Not sure what they do but I'll be glad when I fix this problem for good. :

post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 05:03 PM
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Its special brake caliper grease. Napa has it in several types including Sil-Glyde. I use a small tube made by CRC. I had a weird brake squeak that would start after about 12 miles when the pads heated due to a caliper that was sticking just enough to cause enough friction to make the pad heat up the rotor. Tried greasing the pad rails but that didn't help. There is no easy way to grease the caliper piston itself. You just replace the caliper and do both sides at the same time. One of my front calipers stuck last fall and then one of the rear ones a few months ago. If your issue continues after greasing the pad rails it may be an intermittent sticking caliper. If you can get your hands on an infrared temp gun it works great to sample the temp of the rotor to see if its temp is above the others. When my rear caliper was sticking the rear right was running 117 degrees and the rear left ranged between 180 - 200! Luckily I found it before the pads and rotor need to be replaced.

2008 JK Wrangler Unlimited X
2005 KJ Liberty
1994 YJ
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Mudzilla6661
2010 JK Wrangler 

Have you checked your ebrake? I had to adjust mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 jk islander aka Mudzilla 2.5 AEV lift 35" kevlars, PSC front and rear bumpers Q10000 winch. More to come!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the grease and see if that helps things. Never thought about checking the e-brake. Would that affect brake noise sounding when I press the brake pedal? I'm new to brakes and I've got my mind wrapped around disc brakes, but haven't looked up how the e-brake works.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mudzilla,

How does one adjust the ebrake?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth
Mudzilla, How does one adjust the ebrake?
See:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...brake-1234145/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.