JK Audio Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Audio Problems

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK Audio Problems

So I decided to go ahead and ditch the Mopar RER head unit for a Kenwood 6190HD, which works amazingly.
When I purchased the car it had the 2009 JK Infinity speaker upgrade (7 speakers + Sub + amp) and it also appears to have the kicker speaker upgrade. However whenever I get to a high volume (32 bars and up) the speakers begin to "crack" and the vocals become distorted. It appears that when I also crank the bass up the problem occurs at lower volumes. Could this be happening due to not enough power from the amp to the speakers? And also I heard that the infinity amp filters out bass levels going to the sound bar? Id love to get more out of my speakers and feel more thump while driving .
Suggestions?
Are there any amps that would fit in the existing harness under the driver knee guard?
Or is this problem occurring from something else?

orangera1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes... the stock amp/speakers suuuuuck hard.

Replace them with whatever. You have RCA pre-amps on your head unit so its an easy connection. New 4ohm speakers for the sound bar (coax) and 4ohm components for the front. New sub that can take some power and new amp(s) to match.

There are quite a few smaller amps that fit under the steering wheel like the stock one does. Its actually got quite a bit of room in there. Or you can look to mount them in the glove box or behind it. Some folks mount them under the seats as well.
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Piker73
2013 JK Wrangler 

What does the factory 730 amp put out?
Piker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
Yes... the stock amp/speakers suuuuuck hard.

Replace them with whatever. You have RCA pre-amps on your head unit so its an easy connection. New 4ohm speakers for the sound bar (coax) and 4ohm components for the front. New sub that can take some power and new amp(s) to match.

There are quite a few smaller amps that fit under the steering wheel like the stock one does. Its actually got quite a bit of room in there. Or you can look to mount them in the glove box or behind it. Some folks mount them under the seats as well.
Agree with this, the OEM speakers (even upgraded) are not very good. If you have the aftermarket head unit, that is the most important part to adding aftermarket equipment.

You could probably get some lower end speakers (still better than stock) that will work fine off the head unit power. However, as mentioned, if you want it to sound better, you will want an amp and speakers.

I pulled my system out of my last vehicle so it's older stuff. I have a Kenwood NAV radio, JL 4 channel amp for JL separates up front, Kenwood 6.5" coaxials for the sound bar. Kicker 10" sub in the rear with separate Precision Power amp. Both amps are installed under seats (1 under each seat).

As mentioned, they now have much smaller amps that you can put behind the dash.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

So the infinity sound system with the kicker speakers suck? Haha XD
I can't redo the whole setup because of money but if I just had to get a new amp or a few extras then that would be fine.
The head unit has a wattage of 22 x 4 and max wattage of 55 x 4, do you think that would be better then just going through the amp especially since the amp filters the frequency for the sound bar? And would any channel amp work with the speaker set up or just a 7 speaker amp?
Edit: and I heard that 2ohm are louder then 4ohm speakers?
orangera1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio components , bass , infinity , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.