The JK 3.8 not hatin legit question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > The JK 3.8 not hatin legit question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #31
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I haven't read all the posts so I'm not sure whats been said.

Essentially configuration of the engine probably has little to do with power deployment, for the most part anyhow.

Now the 3.8 is a modern engine and thus has all the traits of modern engines. Thi good and bad. Generally modern engines are efficent, economical and reliable. However they generally are revvy little suckers.

Older engines like the 4.0 are longer stroke and in typcially American fashion are good on low end grunt. This means they are very responsive low down. But generally the torque PEAKS early so HP isn't great.

To understand this you need to know what HP is. Well its mearly an expression of torque at speed.

HP = torque (lb ft) x rpm / 5252

So you can make less torque at higher rpms but make more HP.

In fact making torque at high rpms is the key to high HP applications, such as modern 4 cylinder engines. Or more extreme sports bikes and Formula 1 engines. An F1 engine is capable of 800bhp from only 3.0 litres, but it needs to rev past 17,000rpm to achieve this.

Now the new engine is a OHC engine and I would guess it has been designed to take advantage of this valve train setup, this means short stroke which in turn means higher revs. So PEAK numbers and highway performance should be superb, although you will probably have to drive a it bit hard to make the most of it.

The old 4.0 was a push rod OHV engine, now generally speaking these are long stroke engines. This means the don't like revs but will make more power down low. Personally I prefer such a setup as it means you don't have to drive the engine as hard to make the power. The down side is the engine is being less efficenct in terms of specific output and also maximum HP is potentially limited.

For off roading I honestly believe the 4.0 is a better powerplant. You want lots of power/torque and engine breaking from idle. The newer V6 will not be able to deliver this. Gearing can help but not overcome. This is why diesels are often great off road, they operate in low rpms and can make massive lb ft.

A nice example is I have a 2.5 turbo diesel Discovery (111bhp), my brother recently had a 3.5 litre OHV V8 Land Rover (137bhp). Off road these are both great and in low 1st will crawl along at idle no problem and on steep rouge inclines there is plenty of power to keep it going without risk of stalling.

My mother however has a Vauxhall Frontera, a modern 4x4 which weighs less than either of the Land Rovers. It has a moder DOHC 2.2 litre 16v 4 cylinder engine and makes 136bhp. So more power than the Discovery and pretty close to the V8. However as it is a modern engine its all revs. And off road it is pretty cutless. To get up some slopes you have to ride the clutch this is because it will stall due to lack of grunt low down. As long as you are above 3000-3500rpm it's fine, but driving in such a manor off raod is not only potentially damaging but dangerous also.

However due to the incresed displacement of the new V6 I'm sure it won't be as bad, but the inherant traits of its design will still exist.

For high speed use or racing the V6 is so much better than the old 4.0, however for low end grunt and relaxed driving I'd plum for the old timer each and every time.
You have a few essential things wrong;

The 3.8 is an OHV pushrod engine.
It has a longer (86.9mm) stroke than the 4.0 at 86.7mm.
No one has posted the actual torque curves to compare the two engines below their torque peaks. Torque in the 1500-3000 rpm range would be nice to compare.

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #32
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

my bad, just assumed the engine was the same as in the current Cherokee (UK model, think its liberty or something in US).

Difficult to find much info really the Jeep website SUCKS! it really does. No proper pics limited info, plenty of pointless waffle though.

Anyhow if this new unit it an OHV and a long stroke then it stands a chance of being very nice, although the new Jeep does appear to weigh more than previous versions. But hay that's modern car design for you.

Still the theory of HP, torque and rpms is still relative.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #33
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Still the theory of HP, torque and rpms is still relative.
Yes, you cannot actually measure Hp unless you have an actual horse (of average strength)

We do lots of dyno testing for our turbo business and even those numbers can be skewed and/or vary without changes to the engine or it's tune... just different dyno runs.

I still want to see those power curves... I wonder if one of the current JK owners would mind strapping their Jeep on a chassis dyno???
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.