Is a JK 2dr better than an LJ? - Why - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a JK 2dr better than an LJ? - Why

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Osman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is a JK 2dr better than an LJ? - Why

Wow what a PIA trying to find a LJ - Rubi here in SoCal

I've been looking for a month now and no luck (willing to go 250+ miles away) I had boiled it down to a 05-06 LJ Rubi with preferably hard top and full doors and as mostly stock as possible but the one or two that have come up there asking around 21-22K. dam thatís as much as they originally sold for in 06 just donít see it.

I really wanted to stay around 16-17K and I could find that in a LJ, just not a rubi, most seem to have 3.73 and D44 rear and have started to think I may have to go that route as I really need the features in an LJ and although I want a Rubi, Iím just not sure where my level of ďWheelingĒ will go and will absolutely need Rubi Ė again Iím so confused

And if that wasnít enough, Iíve been looking at a 07 JK Rubi (2 dr) for 19K but I donít know and can't seem to find a comparison chart between the LJ & a JK 2dr as to overall leanth , wheel base, and such plus I really was after the 4.0L i6 engine in the TJ and now it seems the JK have a V6 engine Ė again Iím so confused

Can I you guys give me an Idea of what to pros / cons of the JK 2 dr, vs a LJ I have to try to figure this out before the wife has me committed, as Iím obsessed looking for a jeep all the time.

I know JK owners may be a little bias, so I'm going to post this in the TJ section also, since LJ owners are also most likely bias, I might as well get really confused.

Osman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

The LJ wheelbase is 8 inches longer than a 2-door JK. An LJ wheelbase is 12.6 inches shorter than a JK unlimted.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

New > Old

/thread
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
New > Old

/thread
Um, I like my women like I like my Jeeps?
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK guys, where is that post that shows the better breakover, approach, decent (via an annotated picture) and the two different engine dyno's? It's driving me CRAZY, I know it's here but i can't find it!
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All LJs, with the exception of the Rubicons, have the 4.0, 3.73s, and a D44 rear end. They also all have Ravines, and IIRC, the 30x9.50 upgraded tire package.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Originally posted by Xtremjeepn:

Here are some highlights of the JK.
-Bigger tires stock than any other Jeep ever!
-More ground clearance than any other Jeep ever!
-Stronger axles than any other Jeep ever!
-Better ride than any other Jeep ever!
-More power than any other Jeep ever!
-Better approach and departure angles than any other Jeep ever!
-More cargo room than any other Jeep ever!
-slicker underside for wheeling than any other Jeep ever!
-Better control arms than any other Jeep ever!
-Bigger wheel well openings any other Jeep ever!
-Better stereo than any other Jeep ever!
-More power outlets than any other Jeep ever!
-More safety features than any other Jeep ever!
-Bigger brakes than any other Jeep ever!
-Better Lockers than any other Jeep ever!
-Better tops than any other Jeep ever!
-Requires fewer mods to do hard trails than any other Jeep ever!
-Stronger transfer case than anything other than a TJ Rubicon.
-Only factory Jeep with a sway bar disconnect.

The list really does go on and on. I LOVED my CJs, I LOVED my YJs, I LOVED my TJ, all to the tune of over 1,000,000 miles. Now I LOVE my JK more than any of those. BEST JEEP YET!

Let's start with a little perspective.

I put 220,000 miles on my first YJ, 280,000 on the second YJ, then 165,000 on the TJ. (not even going to include the CJs, WJ, FSJ, ZJ, etc).

I bought the 1998 TJ new and spent the last ten years building it as a project rig for Rockcrawler.com.

I just sold it and bought a 2008 JKUR.

The basic feeling I got was that everything I did to make the TJ cool and more functional the JK already has most of. Here is a grocery list.

-Biggest, stongest axles ever offered in a Wrangler. Even the standard D30 and D44 are stonger than previous models. Rubi axles have huge shafts.
-Strongest, lowest geared t-case offered across model range. (241 tcase in all of them, 4:1 in Rubi).
-Best approach and departure angles ever.
-Flatter underside, no more road grater skid plate.
-Bigger tires with smaller lift equal better climbing, side hilling, COG.
-Bigger discs.
-Longer control arms stock. Easier to run 35s/37s without the need for long arms.
-more interior space, rear cubby.
-sunrider and freedom top stock.
-I have always wanted more interior room for my dogs and a longer wheelbase for steep climbs but refused to cut my TJ. 4 door is awsome.
-outboarded rear shock mounts on rear axle.
-dual power outlets.
-factory nav
-MUCH MUCH easier to hold highway speed.
-Easier to go insane with no metal front fenders.
-Slight factory "comp cut" in rear.
-fuel economy.
-Most Jeepers put on wider off set wheels. The JK does not need as much offset in the wheels due to larger fender openings. So the hub center is more centered in the wheel. This protects discs, less stressfull on ball joints, etc etc. Jks tend to be very similar in total width to a TJ when built, its all about the offset.
-Can mount winch inside front frame rails to keep COG low for steep climbs.
-electronic sway bar.
-Factory stereo kicks the TJ factory stereos butt.
-factory keyless entry, remote start.
-Heat/AC vents that you can blow ANYWHERE.
-Overall it is just a more usefull rig beyond just rockcrawling it. First ever 'expedition" ready Jeep in my mind. There are tons of us out there that love to camp, ski/snowboard, mountain bike etc etc that just can't get all the gear in a two door. I love wheeling with my 2 large dogs, but once you put them in a TJ there is no space left for gear.

I could go on. I LOVED my TJ and nearly cried when it left. I NEVER wanted to "REALLY" get rid of it. Once I wheeled the JK I was VERY happy to have made the switch.

Some FACTS for you below.
Keep in mind that even a plain "x" JK has a 241 t-case and stonger axles. Only Rubi TJs come close.

If only I had pictures of how much stronger the JK axles were
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

More horsepower, but less low end torque... Especially considering added weight. If your JK had so much horsepower, why add the RIPP GEN II Stage II?
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
More horsepower, but less low end torque... Especially considering added weight. If your JK had so much horsepower, why add the RIPP GEN II Stage II?
Where do you see less torque? I supercharged it because I regularly drive on 6% grades at elevations of 11,000 feet. The altitude alone reduces my power by 30%. That coupled with the fact that I'm running 35's on an unlimited that weighs 5,000 pounds (900 more pounds than it weighed from the factory) means that I couldn't even do the speed limit in the mountain passes.

On the other hand, my wife's stock two door Rubicon is not supercharged and it does just swell.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I meant real world torque... What you feel when you are just driving around. The LJ, being lighter, feels peppier. The power band of the I6 is, IMO, better. I cruise on the thruway in 5th at 70-75 around 2,000 RPM. I understand that being in CO, you have a far lower O2 density, but I still think that the TJ/LJ has more usable real world power than a JK/JKU.
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]

Unread 12-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i meant real world torque... What you feel when you are just driving around. The lj, being lighter, feels peppier. The power band of the i6 is, imo, better. I cruise on the thruway in 5th at 70-75 around 2,000 rpm. I understand that being in co, you have a far lower o2 density, but i still think that the tj/lj has more usable real world power than a jk/jku.
ok.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just for arguments sake, how much more does a JK Rubicon Weigh than a TJ Rubicon. I already looked and it was insignificant but I can't find exact figures. I'm guessing you already know since it was one of your key points. So, what is the difference?
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That was very interesting and useful info. I have driven both the 2dr and 4dr JK's and in all reality the 2dr was the same if not a bit better than my TJ power wise, but on the other hand the 4dr did seem a little sluggish. should have offered a HEMI for it. haha But we do have to keep in mind we are talking about Wranglers here, not race cars.
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

(Roughly)
3,092-3,832 lbs TJ
3,730-3,977 lbs LJ

3760lbs JK X (manual)
4129lbs JK Rubi (auto)
4550lbs JKU of some sort

Fairly large difference, right?
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]

Last edited by ajf1994; 12-02-2010 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Better specs
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
(Roughly)
3,092-3,832 lbs TJ
3,730-3977 lbs LJ

3760lbs JK X (manual)
4129lbs JK Rubi (auto)
4550lbs JKU of some sort

Fairly large difference, right?
297 pounds on the Rubicon models. That's marginal considering the benefits of the JK. I'd say, let the 4.0 go. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that says it's a bad engine. It was an excellent engine, but, it's no longer offered. We all want HEMI's, right?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.