Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JK 2012 - Budget Boost Lift Kit

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Paio2012 
#1 ·
Another (endless) question on lifting kits and this one will be very simple. I am going for 33" tires and I have decided to use budget boost on my JK 2012. I am also ordering the 285/70R17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A K02.

I have three options to order and I need any recommendation you guys may have.

They are:

A) AEV 2" Spacer Suspension System (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16502_4400_07.htm)

B) Quadratec Maximum Duty 1.75" Front / .75" Rear Leveling Lift Kit (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_0041_07.htm)

C) Rubicon Express Economy 2" Spacer Lift (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16501_5401_07.htm)

As always, I thank you in advance for your inputs.

Best regards!

#2 ·
The leveling kit may cut it too close. I have 305/65R17 KO2's on my 12 JK sport with no lift and the rears do rub slightly at full flex (front sway bar disconnected) with no lift. I can't give you an opinion on the other kits but I'll be watching this thread for info. :)

#3 ·
305 is slightly wider hence the rub. A 285 from all accounts I've seen will work with no mods whatsoever. A leveling kit will give ya extra space, but not sure if it's a requirement. Also depends how hard u will be flexing. If this is a 90/10 road vehicle with only mild/moderate off roading, then get the tires first and add a spacer kit later if u experience rubbing. On 285s I can't imagine the rub would rub hard enough to cause any damage.

#4 ·
They are wider and the rub is the outside of the tire with the stock fender. As you correctly stated, the 285/70's may be ok stock and with the leveling kit. I would still seriously consider the 2" lift if any sort of moderate wheeling is in the future as the .75" rear puck could still be really close. It will really depend on what the tire actually measures. I run with 4.75" backspace on 17" alloy wheels.

What we didn't ask, and I will now, is what wheels is the OP considering and at what backspace?

I know some sort of a 2" lift is what I'm considering.

#6 ·
The 285/70R17 tire is .1" taller than my 305's but they are .9" narrower (based on the manufacturers specs)

I don't have any issues with the actual diameter of the tires, just the width at this time.

Looks like you should be good in whatever way you want to go, especially with the stock wheels.

#8 ·
No,I have no experience with any lift kit. Someone else will need to chime in here.

As I said, I'm also watching for others to state their experiences.

:)

#9 ·
I have the same question. We have a 2013 2dr JK Rubicon, running 17x8.5" wheels with 5" backspacing. I want to move to 285/70R-17 BFG KO2's. I'm hoping the 1.25" less backspacing and possibly 1"-1.5" coil spacers would provide enough clearance to eliminate any rubbing.

#10 ·
Its not so much about the lift you get as it is about the bump stops you get. The bump stops are what keep the tires from hitting the stock fenders. So, if you aren't moving the fenders then you need to do something to limit the up travel to keep them from hitting the fenders. 2.5" bump stops (in most cases) allow 35" tires to just kiss the stock fenders. If you are only running 33's then a 1.5" bump stop adder might be all you need to keep them from eating the fenders.

A 1.5" body lift is another option here.

#11 ·
duneslider said:
Its not so much about the lift you get as it is about the bump stops you get. The bump stops are what keep the tires from hitting the stock fenders. So, if you aren't moving the fenders then you need to do something to limit the up travel to keep them from hitting the fenders. 2.5" bump stops (in most cases) allow 35" tires to just kiss the stock fenders. If you are only running 33's then a 1.5" bump stop adder might be all you need to keep them from eating the fenders. A 1.5" body lift is another option here.
Good point on the bump stops.

#12 ·
You'll most likely want 1.25"-1.75" wheel spacers to run the 285s on stock wheels to prevent rubbing at full turn and provide more clearance on the inside of the rear tire. 285s are the point where stuff starts getting tight.

The spacer and bump stops are the key component in the lifts your looking at. You will most likely upgrade this complete lift starting with the shock extensions.

Knock the 1.75"/.75 leveling lift off your list. You'll outgrow it too soon. 2" is a good height for 285s but enough to make you think about 35's.

#16 ·
Thank you very much for your reply to my original post. I just received and installed the AEV 2" and begin testing my Jeep driveability. I had to make few adjustments on the left side sway bar new end link because was hitting the adjustment bolt of the tie rod. I am still keeping my original tires while I wait for the new 285/70R17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2. I am planning to use with stock wheels 7.5JX17ET44. With this wheel specs do you see any issues?

#15 ·
JKPKK said:
Hi Guys! Does anyone know if the Rubicon with the sway bar release need a special lift kit? Do you have to use a Mopar kit? as I read the the thread I see that many of you have the knowledge. Thank you in advance.
Nope. U don't need expensive quick release links, but you will need some taller ones. Some people take their rear links and put them up front and buy new links for the rear sway bar. The ends of the stock sway bars on all models use the same sway bar linkages. Get some taller ones for the rear, move the old rears to the front, adjust for added height if they adjust... and have fun!!!! Unless you have some ridiculous 6 inch lift or something I may not be accounting for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.