Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JK 2 Door VS 4 Door X Model Why?

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  MZP 
#1 ·
ok, i really like the 2dr model, it shows stunning looks for jeep model with the right upgrades but for some reason on back of my mind is telling me to get the 4 door, it is more functional, does it look better to you guys? i do have kids but we also have a 4 door car and also kids can get in back seats. of 2dr jk............why the big excitement for the 4 door over the 2 door? Jeep in my mind suppose to be 2 door...........so what it be 2 door or 4 door??/

#2 ·
Personally (and looking at my post count you can see my noobness), I am going toward the 4 door. Although I've always liked the classic 2 door, I've never liked the way it handled on the highway. I was seriously considering an Unlimited because the handling is like day and night. However I really like the interior capacity of the 4 and frankly I think it looks totally funky!...it's really what I've been waiting for. But that's just me.

#3 ·
I have ordered a four door simply for more room. I have had a wrangler in some form or another since 97' and every time we would go camping or to the lake or whatever it just seemed like we were cramped. You can always use a roof rack but thats a pain in the rear to load and unload. Now that my wife and I just had a son their is no way we can fit all of our camping gear + him in a two door. Plus i think they look awesome lifted. Good luck deciding. either way you wont be disappointed.

#5 ·
wildzx said:
ok, i really like the 2dr model, it shows stunning looks for jeep model with the right upgrades but for some reason on back of my mind is telling me to get the 4 door, it is more functional, does it look better to you guys? i do have kids but we also have a 4 door car and also kids can get in back seats. of 2dr jk............why the big excitement for the 4 door over the 2 door? Jeep in my mind suppose to be 2 door...........so what it be 2 door or 4 door??/
It comes down to personal preference as to what would make you the happiest in the long-term.

Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and a bunch of the FSJ's came with 4-doors. They also had two-door options as well (some of the models). They are all very capable offroading. I wouldn't take a brand new GrandCherokee onto the trails (I couldn't afford it) - but one from the mid-90's I would build up and take offroading.

I have test-driven a 4-door Rubicon (I really put it through its paces) and am impressed with the overall feel of it. It does feel quite large overall, but not in the way of my monster YJ or my limo-TJ.

The 2-door is actually shorter than a YJ or TJ - so if you feel you might be cramped in a YJ or TJ, the 2-door JK might not be for you.

Test drive - consider the usage you would get out of the Jeep, then jump in with both feet!!! :wave:

#6 ·
The nice thing about a Jeep is when it comes time for resale you'll appeal to quite a few people regardless of 2 or 4 door because each will have a good following.

I had a 2 door explorer sport which was impossible to sell because every family wanted a 4 door. Not like they were buying them to mod them or take them off road like they would had it been a Jeep.

Personally I like the 4 door because it has a heck of a lot of room in the back compared to my TJ.

#7 ·
i have had two 2 door tj and loved them but the 4 door has a huge edge in hauling.i bought a trailer just for home depot runs(called it my $600.00 pick-up truck option) have not had to use it yet whit the 4 door.i have put a 30" stove in the back! thats space.i miss the short 2 door for parking but not much.and so far off-road i still fit down dirt bike trails so I'm very happy with a 4 door.

#9 ·
I chose the 4 door and am glad I did. When I first saw pictures of the 4 door, I didn't care for it at all and decided to get a two door. After looking around at lots and seeing the 4 door in person, my opinion changed. Once I realized how much more practical it would be, it was an easy decision for me.

#10 ·
I would get the 2DR JK and a Commander for 4DR or to haul stuff. I alreay have a 5x10 utility trailer for real hauling.

#12 ·
jimhut2000 said:
Thanks, good of you to refer the link! I did almost buy the thing!

Actually, you helped me realize I needed to update my signature -- actually I carry the Tornado Air Compressor to air back up after wheeling.

I don't think I would ever buy the 4DR. I would be like 4-wheeling with a "limo" type of feel to it.

#13 ·
i have a 2dr rubi and if you have any thoughts of putting people in the back of a 2dr for any amount of time buy a 4dr. getting in and out of the rear of a 2dr sucks, and there is almost no foot room,you have to put your feet under the front seats.

#14 ·
I was this-><-close to getting a 2 dr JK when I remembered I have 3 kids. (The euphoria of returning to a Wrangler had caused momentary amnesia.) Got the 4-dr and haven't looked back. Finally - I could satisfy my Jones for a Wrangler again while also accommodating my entire family. So for me 3 kids = 4-dr.

#16 ·
I have a small SUV (Toyota 4 Runner), great for trips etc. I ordered a 2dr Rubi because most of the time I'm driving, I am by myself or my with my wife or with one of my kids. Once in a while, wife and one kid. Two door does fine for those situations. If all four of us need to go the same time for any distance, I'll take the other car. I don't think I could get the whole family to agree on top up or down anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.