Jeep wouldnt start. Here's the "KEY". - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep wouldnt start. Here's the "KEY".

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueLast Day to take advantage of 5% off August Promo

Unread 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
wvsky

Jeep wouldnt start. Here's the "KEY".

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 14,000 miles failed to start yesterday. This is an interesting problem that I've never encountered before. Here's what happened:

I turned the key and there seemed to be a slight hesitation, but the car started and ran for about 4 seconds and then shut off. I did this three more times with the same results. On the fourth try, the engine wouldn't turn over at all. The one light that was on the dash required a look-up in my manual. This turned out to be the "Security" light. It also reminded me of a few years ago when another car I had did the exact same thing, but for a legitimate reason: I had the wrong key in the ignition. It had no electronic chip, and so the car would start, then run a few seconds and die. When I got the correct key, it started and ran fine. So just for the heck of it, I got my spare Jeep key off the wall and tried it. Same thing. Nothing.

I had my Jeep towed to the dealership and the Tech there said he'd come across this issue recently. He simply removed the "IOD" fuse for 15 seconds and then put it back. That solved
the problem. Two days earlier I was in the deep country in snow with no cell-phone service. Can you imagine what might have happened if this issue had popped-up then? Especially the fact that there was an easy fix that I wasn't aware of.

So my car was gone for 24 hours, the tow and "fix" together probably cost Chrysler three or four hundred dollars, and it should have never happened to start with.

What is the theory on why this happened? The Tech thinks that static electricity (It's winter now) somehow zapped the computer into not being able to read the key code, and so shut down the engine.

To me, this is a really serious issue, as these vehicles were MADE to go out where even cell phones fail. Have any of you experienced this yet?

Thanks!

wvsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with static zap. Winter means heater, dry air and carpet makes static....
Unread 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
wvsky

I've been driving cars with this same type of security feature for 15 years and never heard of this. I simply cant understand how this could happen in this day and age. Seriously, this could get people killed!
Unread 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

This was a known problem with the early JK models where static electricity caused the WCM to lock up, but I thought they had fixed it years ago. Guess not.
Unread 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

If this happens again you should push to have the WCM replaced. This was an issue on earlier models but supposedly had been fixed.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
wvsky

Thanks! I attempted to find this issue on the Net but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Now, I see the Net is FULL of people having this problem going back to 2006! There seems to be all kinds of answers to the problem, but only if you were born under the right Sign. Some had the WCM replaced under warranty. Some couldn't. Some didnt work after it was replaced. It's a hit or miss situation that Chrysler should have solved years ago, and just one more reason why Japanese cars are the top sellers.
Unread 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not all the no start issues are the "key" issue you had.

Of the top 20 best selling vehicles in 2014 9 where american made and of the top 5 best selling 3 were american. #1 Ford, #2 Chevy, #4 Dodge. If you pull the South Korean cars out of the list cause they aren't japanese then there are more American top sellers than Japanese. And we all know that Toyota has never had any quality issues and nothing but stellar records. So, that leaves you with Honda but since they don't make anything that resembles an offroad vehicle it is hard to even add them to a list that any offroad enthusiast would consider.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm, this is an old problem with early year JKs. Solved with an updated wireless control module and key re-flashing.
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
jtseltmann
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the exact same thing happen to me in my 2009 this summer. Was at a friends house working...went to leave, jeep started and shut off, did that twice and the computer shut it down completely. Not a battery issue. Disconnected battery, reconnected and started right up and never happened again. I hate 'fun' little quirks like that. My jeep has been running like a top since day 1. Oil changes, battery, tires and brakes...just about to hit 40K in 6 yrs. No idea...
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsky View Post
Seriously, this could get people killed!
Yea a car that wont start is as deadly as an unloaded .44 ...
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
jtseltmann
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Agreed, it's annoying but I don't see anyone getting killed from a car that won't start...
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
ultrabullit
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop;28846
I can see where he might think that if it happens while driving maybe, but the worst would be losing power steering and power assisted braking.
Unread 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Boy I thought this had been corrected on later models. First generation JKs had two issues, key static could spike the ignition causing the security system to go into lockdown. The workaround was to reset the security system
by pulling up on the white dual fuse holder J13, wait 60 seconds and push down. Fix was replacing the wireless control module and reprogram the keys.

The second issue was a shutoff after start, similar to using a non- security key. That usually could be overcome by a few restart attempts. The fix was a fresh set of keys.

Sounds like the gremlins snuck back in
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
wvsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
It certainly CAN be deadly if you're out in the middle of nowhere in freezing temps and the "new" car fails to start over something as stupid as this.
Unread 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes but ANY car can fail to start at ANY time for ANY number of failures... Calling out a no start as deadly is like saying its deadly to not have a tanker truck follow you around for refueling "just in case"... I understand what you meant. Jus being facetious ... Humor...

Oh well.

Tags
security key , wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.