jeep problem. 2012 JK w/ 13k miles and bad head? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep problem. 2012 JK w/ 13k miles and bad head?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
mhle1041

jeep problem. 2012 JK w/ 13k miles and bad head?

i took my 2012 jeep wrangler to the dealer today with the engine light on (mil), I was thinking that I had a gas cap problem. to my surprise when they called and said come in we had to order some parts I was stunned to find out they ordered a whole left head. Driver side head is bad, and jeep is aware of it and they are replacing them as they go bad. my jeep has 13,000 miles on it. I am a little worried to have my new jeep completely torn down and rebuilt by the dealership. I just cant believe this is happening. Should i be worried? what else recourse do i have. my jeep is a 2012 but it was manufactured in 9/11. Can I not request a new jeep instead?

mhle1041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
SRM
2012 JK Wrangler 

Search for posting in this section entitled, "Potential Pentastar Issue". It's a long thread discussing this. Mine was built same as yours and I'm awaiting a new head.
[B]Mine[/B]: 2012 Sport S, Black, de-badged, Auto, Power/Connectivity, and damn proud of my 3:21's :)
[B]Hers[/B]: 2010 Sahara, dual top, all the goodies...

[I]No, I'm not a Mall Crawler. I've driven over a curb 2, maybe 3 times... :)[/I]

Previous: 2010 Camaro SS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Camaro Z28, and various 2nd gen f-bodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
offcamber

About 30% or 2012's have issues with the heads. The nice thing is that they really aren't sure what is causing the issue so the replacement head my bite it too...
offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhle1041 View Post
i took my 2012 jeep wrangler to the dealer today with the engine light on (mil), I was thinking that I had a gas cap problem. to my surprise when they called and said come in we had to order some parts I was stunned to find out they ordered a whole left head. Driver side head is bad, and jeep is aware of it and they are replacing them as they go bad. my jeep has 13,000 miles on it. I am a little worried to have my new jeep completely torn down and rebuilt by the dealership. I just cant believe this is happening. Should i be worried? what else recourse do i have. my jeep is a 2012 but it was manufactured in 9/11. Can I not request a new jeep instead?
Welcome to the jungle! Be happy you didn't get the run-around many in your boat have gotten. Looks as though possibly, POSSIBLY Chrysler is dealing with this issue correctly. Good luck. And to ease your mind, those who have had the head replaced, fixed their problems..
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

I 've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a 2012 JKU. Can someone please save me the hours of my life it would take to read the 30 plus pages of the original Pentastar issue thread. Is this problem just for the early build 2012's or is it still an ongoing problem?

Thanks, David
David_M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M View Post
I 've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a 2012 JKU. Can someone please save me the hours of my life it would take to read the 30 plus pages of the original Pentastar issue thread. Is this problem just for the early build 2012's or is it still an ongoing problem?

Thanks, David
As far as I know there's been no official word on if it was a certain batch of build dates, ect. From what I've gleamed from other threads the plant is retooling for the 2013 line. I'm sure they're not going to shut down production and then resume with the problem parts still in circulation. I'd think, or hope, that they would have already gotten any remaining parts out of inventory or at least have made that a project during the shutdown. So if you weren't planning on getting one before September, I'd just wait an order a 2013. Unless you absolutely HAVE to have a Gecko Pearl or Crush JK. I believe those colors are rumored to be going away. JMO, of course.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

From what I've read, it was poor materials used in the manufacturing process. The valves and seats don't jive just right. 1,000 miles and counting on mine...zero ticking...keeping my fingers crossed.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

I believe it was an issue with the casting, not bad components. But that's anecdotal at best.
2012 Rubicon - ACE Eng. Rock Sliders, Rockhard4x4 Full Front Bumper, SmittyBilt XRC8, Level 8 Strike 5 16x8.5's wrapped in 315/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 3" Teraflex coil lift with shock adapters, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier Hinge, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers. 1/2" coil spacer up front, 3/4" coil spacer in the rear.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellstar View Post
I believe it was an issue with the casting, not bad components. But that's anecdotal at best.
I have heard the same - specifically the valve guide boss being too "thin" and effecting the press fit of the guide (and thus seat alignment) at higher temps.

But also anecdotal - from a guy who reads too much. Says he read it in an AERA tech publication so if anyone wants to play fact checker there's a start!
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
j0nx
2012 JK Wrangler 

So ridiculous that a dealer/mechanic would even entertain the idea of replacing just a single head. Customers should be demanding both heads to be replaced or a buyback. These motors will just **** the bed again at 100k miles without it.
j0nx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx
So ridiculous that a dealer/mechanic would even entertain the idea of replacing just a single head. Customers should be demanding both heads to be replaced or a buyback. These motors will just **** the bed again at 100k miles without it.
I fail to see how this is ridiculous. If I bend a rim I don't replace all four. If I have one bad spark plug wire I don't replace the whole batch. I inspect the remaining components, which is what they do, and replace the ones that are bad or are going bad.

Last I heard the replacement heads are still going strong and that a bad batch of heads were made by the manufacturer. Then again this was also anecdotal.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I haven't seen anyone reporting problems with a replacement head.
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
ScottHerman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
About 30% or 2012's have issues with the heads. The nice thing is that they really aren't sure what is causing the issue so the replacement head my bite it too...
What is the source of that percentage?
ScottHerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ditto, what is the source of your % number? From what I've read on this forum, I think maybe 10 people have had this issue, which doesn't make it right, just saying I don't think 30% of the heads are bad. That would be FOX Breaking News material right there.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
pmraider12
2012 JK Wrangler 

All 3.6 heads are going bad. Less often in the wrangler bc it is lighter than the town and country and grand Cherokee. Failure is in cylinder 2 due to the thermostat being right there that's where all of the heat is. Poor casting in the cylinder head causing the valve not to seat correctly causing slight misfire in #2. Chrysler has JUST released new cylinder heads for this issue all the other heads were the same casting so it will more than likley happen again to those vehicles unless Chrysler comes up with some type of bypass hoses for the thermostat housing to dissipate some heat away from that area
pmraider12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.