Jeep powertrain warranty sucks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep powertrain warranty sucks

My daughter had a guy pull onto a one way and totaled her 04 Lj last November. It was actually my jeep that I gave to her when she turned 16. So I let her use the insurance money to use as a down payment on a replacement,she really wanted another jeep. I found her a jeep to look at as I wasn't home,she and my wife went to look at it,she loved it. It's a 2014 unlimited and I'm pretty sure it's never been off-road,had 37,000 miles on it and came with a leveling kit and 35 Nitto tires. So about 12 days ago she says it's making a weird noise so I thought great front wheel bearing,I jacked it up and tried to wiggle the tires,seemed tight,took it for a drive and could hear the noise and noticed the jeep really seemed to lean while turning the wheel back and forth. I looked under the rear end and could see both inside rear tires showed rubbing. That's when I noticed the bracket that is welded to the axle housing was broke,I could see the weld on one side was broke and was rusty,but where it tore off the rest of the way was not rusty. So a jeep rep finally went to the dealer and denied the claim cause of the leveling kit and the 35" tires. I call BS on this,I could possibly see if it was off-roaded but the biggest off road excursion this jeep sees is a speed bump at the mall. Luckily she did get a extended warranty and they said if jeep doesn't cover it,they will,I guess I'll find out later today. This will be her last jeep if I can convince her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's entirely possible that 35" tires could cause a problem, they do put more stress on suspension and axle components. Unfortunately, Jeep is well within their right to deny warranty coverage.

It sucks but the warranty is for stock, as built configuration. Put on a 3.5" lift and you break a driveshaft, should Jeep cover that?

Whether is was off roaded is immaterial, the stress from bigger, non stock components are still there.

As you stated the weld that broke was rusty, meaning it's been broken for some time. That is what I would be demanding the selling dealer to fix on a vehicle that is 12 days off their lot. That should have been caught in a pre-delivery dealer inspection. That, is on the selling dealer, not FCA.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
It's entirely possible that 35" tires could cause a problem, they do put more stress on suspension and axle components. Unfortunately, Jeep is well within their right to deny warranty coverage.

It sucks but the warranty is for stock, as built configuration. Put on a 3.5" lift and you break a driveshaft, should Jeep cover that?

Whether is was off roaded is immaterial, the stress from bigger, non stock components are still there.

As you stated the weld that broke was rusty, meaning it's been broken for some time. That is what I would be demanding the selling dealer to fix on a vehicle that is 12 days off their lot. That should have been caught in a pre-delivery dealer inspection. That, is on the selling dealer, not FCA.
So if you bought a new jeep off the lot,that a jeep dealership installed 35" tires and drove it for 6 months and this happened,and they denied coverage saying the tires are what caused it,you wouldn't be upset?

post #4 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would be if I bought a new Jeep that had Mopar components installed for the lift and larger tires. Your daughter didn't buy a new vehicle, she bought a used vehicle. At 37K, she is outside of the factory bumper to bumper warranty and only has the balance of the factory powertrain warranty. Suspension components are not part of the powertrain.

Again, you are blaming FCA here, it's not FCA that is being the bad guy. It's the dealer that sold your daughter the Jeep with a broken weld and it's them who is not standing behind their sale. Again, your beef is with the selling dealer for not properly inspecting the vehicle prior to the sale and that's the argument I would be having with the dealer.

Now, if she has a bad rear main seal and FCA refused to cover it due to the lift and or tires, you have a valid complaint as those wouldn't cause a rear main seal to go.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would be if I bought a new Jeep that had Mopar components installed for the lift and larger tires. Your daughter didn't buy a new vehicle, she bought a used vehicle. At 37K, she is outside of the factory bumper to bumper warranty and only has the balance of the factory powertrain warranty. Suspension components are not part of the powertrain.

Again, you are blaming FCA here, it's not FCA that is being the bad guy. It's the dealer that sold your daughter the Jeep with a broken weld and it's them who is not standing behind their sale. Again, your beef is with the selling dealer for not properly inspecting the vehicle prior to the sale and that's the argument I would be having with the dealer.

Now, if she has a bad rear main seal and FCA refused to cover it due to the lift and or tires, you have a valid complaint as those wouldn't cause a rear main seal to go.

So the bracket that's welded to the axle would not be part of the drivetrain? The drivetrain warranty is 5 yrs 100,000 miles. What would be the difference between jeep and anyone else that installed 35" tires on a jeep? Does FCA beef up that bracket when they install bigger tires? I do blame FCA for this,if they didn't sell jeeps with the option of 35" tires I could see,maybe not covering it,but they do sell them. By the way I'm not trying to start a beef with you over this,just wondering why you don't think this should be covered is all. I see there's a lot of people that have the same issue.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabr1 View Post
So the bracket that's welded to the axle would not be part of the drivetrain? The drivetrain warranty is 5 yrs 100,000 miles. What would be the difference between jeep and anyone else that installed 35" tires on a jeep? Does FCA beef up that bracket when they install bigger tires? I do blame FCA for this,if they didn't sell jeeps with the option of 35" tires I could see,maybe not covering it,but they do sell them. By the way I'm not trying to start a beef with you over this,just wondering why you don't think this should be covered is all. I see there's a lot of people that have the same issue.
Sorry, the largest factory tire FCA sells is a 32" tire on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Anything larger than 32" tire is an aftermarket modification.

Were the larger tires and leveling kit installed by the dealer? Or were they installed by the previous owner? Big difference.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry, the largest factory tire FCA sells is a 32" tire on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Anything larger than 32" tire is an aftermarket modification.

Were the larger tires and leveling kit installed by the dealer? Or were they installed by the previous owner? Big difference.
They were installed by the dealer,although where she bought it wasn't a actual jeep dealership. But while shopping for a jeep there were more than one dealer,actually all the dealerships had new jeeps that were lifted with 35s. I'm almost positive the service contract she bought with this jeep is going to step up and have it fixed,at least that what they told me last week when I talked to them,they said if jeep doesn't,they will. Even though the other company is hopefully going to fix this,I'm still sending a complaint to jeep,although I know it will go nowhere.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
They were installed by the dealer,although where she bought it wasn't a actual jeep dealership. But while shopping for a jeep there were more than one dealer,actually all the dealerships had new jeeps that were lifted with 35s. I'm almost positive the service contract she bought with this jeep is going to step up and have it fixed,at least that what they told me last week when I talked to them,they said if jeep doesn't,they will. Even though the other company is hopefully going to fix this,I'm still sending a complaint to jeep,although I know it will go nowhere.
I feel for you, I really do. But from FCA's position, it's a non factory modification and in your case, done by a non Jeep dealer. Did you take the Jeep back to the selling dealer to fix? Again, that is where I would have gone first. I bought this Jeep from you 12 days ago and the weld is broken and the evidence is that it was broken when you sold it to me. What are you going to do about it?

From the factory, the only "lifted" Jeep is a Rubicon. That uses stock wheels with 32" tires, no wheel spacers which means they are a narrow tire and 19 springs in the front and 59 springs in the rear. This gives a Rubi roughly a 2" lift. Anything else is an aftermarket modification, even the Mopar performance lift kit is a modification, but one sanctioned by FCA.

Here is your problem, a non Jeep dealer installed aftermarket components that could void your Jeep factory warranty. Doesn't matter if the Jeep dealer across the street does the exact same modification with the exact same parts. If you bought this from a Jeep dealer, your complaint would hold more water, but you didn't.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I feel for you, I really do. But from FCA's position, it's a non factory modification and in your case, done by a non Jeep dealer. Did you take the Jeep back to the selling dealer to fix? Again, that is where I would have gone first. I bought this Jeep from you 12 days ago and the weld is broken and the evidence is that it was broken when you sold it to me. What are you going to do about it?

From the factory, the only "lifted" Jeep is a Rubicon. That uses stock wheels with 32" tires, no wheel spacers which means they are a narrow tire and 19 springs in the front and 59 springs in the rear. This gives a Rubi roughly a 2" lift. Anything else is an aftermarket modification, even the Mopar performance lift kit is a modification, but one sanctioned by FCA.

Here is your problem, a non Jeep dealer installed aftermarket components that could void your Jeep factory warranty. Doesn't matter if the Jeep dealer across the street does the exact same modification with the exact same parts. If you bought this from a Jeep dealer, your complaint would hold more water, but you didn't.

I'm sure,well pretty sure the aftermarket warranty will cover this. And I kinda agree with what your saying,but.....I just did a quick search in my area for new lifted wrangler unlimiteds. It is right at 13-14% of jeeps that are listed that are lifted with 35" tires. So my question to jeep is,how can you warranty those jeeps and not mine,again my daughters jeep is not lifted,it has a leveling kit on it,but does have 35" tires.....just like what those 13-14% of the dealer ones have. It still should be covered by powertrain warranty.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sure,well pretty sure the aftermarket warranty will cover this. And I kinda agree with what your saying,but.....I just did a quick search in my area for new lifted wrangler unlimiteds. It is right at 13-14% of jeeps that are listed that are lifted with 35" tires. So my question to jeep is,how can you warranty those jeeps and not mine,again my daughters jeep is not lifted,it has a leveling kit on it,but does have 35" tires.....just like what those 13-14% of the dealer ones have. It still should be covered by powertrain warranty.
My daughter got this jeep end of November,sorry about the confusion on that part. So she's had it for 9-10 months now. I know this is a weak spot on jeeps as others have had the same issue. Once it is repaired I'm going to get the aftermarket brace that is made to prevent this from happening again. You would think jeep would beef that area up,just a little bit heavier gauge still would prevent it.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 12:35 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
to run 35s on a jk takes more than a "leveling kit" with stock fenders. in lifting a jk one must be sure that the correct length sway bar links are used. If they did not when the jeep is lifted off the ground by the body the sway bars can invert. then when the axles are loaded again. something will bend or break. i can see this happening in a fubar install.

What broke off the sway link mount on the rear axle? I just looked at mine and the welds on that are rather substantial, at least on mine. Compared to say the stock front mounts that are a bit on flimsy side if stock even welded as good as that could be.. But hey its Fiat jeep and frame welds or axle. even new, it can be a good idea to look every weld over.

35s will wear on components faster. ball joints tend to fail at least 50% faster in off road use its not uncommon to see them fail at under 20k from new( stock ones are very cheaply designed. Unit bearings but to a lessor degree. tire rotation is need more often than most people are used too. if you dont they will wear odd and you end up with shimmy, then on day maybe back here asking about DW.

its rather easy to not cover many things. The misquoted Mansford act has nothing to do with going 4dees as replacement tires for a 32". or changing anything from stock, that changes mechanical design. 35s can break ring gears, axle tubes, axles, cause the power steering to fail by over heating the pump, breaking the sector shaft. just a few of the things i have seen in our jeep clubs over the years. But these guys are using the jeep for what they were intended for off road.

But say its just 35s no lift. one could say with all truth that running those causes more strain on the drive train, its just plain physics. So the price we pay to PLAY or to LOOK it. As well some dealers are more jeep friendly to mods, to a point.

Pics of this would be nice to see what broke, maybe the why might be known then. To weld that back on and not know why it came off. 1 bad weld? 2. something is not set up correctly and its binding enough to rip something welded on, off. 3 combination of the first two.< my guess is 3. puts away my crystal ball..... on with the tinfoil hat.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Was it the rear trackbar bracket that broke? I've heard plenty of people ripping the stock ones off. If so, have it welded back on, and buy a new bracket from MetalCloak or Teraflex... or other company of your preference.

Call me Eddo
09 JKUR
13 WK2 Trailhawk
post #13 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

A Jeep dealer who sells a new jeep with Jeep installed aftermarket parts is covered by jeep warranty.

A Jeep dealer who sells a new jeep with after market parts may be covered by the warranty, but they may also be declined by FCA, and be on the hook themselves. They may be able to get FCA to cover the repair as is, or claim something else in order to get it covered. (They may also make so much mark-up on the add-ons they don't care)

A Jeep dealer who installs aftermarket parts on a used vehicle usually states no warranty.

A non -jeep dealer who installs and/or sells jeeps with aftermarket parts offers NO warranty unless they expressly say otherwise.

A non jeep dealer who sells a used Jeep has NOTHING in common or related to a Jeep dealer selling new jeeps (modified or otherwise)

Hoss

"Gimme three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."JGW
post #14 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep View Post
Was it the rear trackbar bracket that broke? I've heard plenty of people ripping the stock ones off. If so, have it welded back on, and buy a new bracket from MetalCloak or Teraflex... or other company of your preference.
Yes it is the rear track bar bracket that broke. I'll see what the extra service contract will do about it,if they replace the axle I'll get the extra plate installed after I get it back. I mentioned earlier in my posts that she bought an extended contract and when I talked to them last week they said they will take care of it if FCA declines it. Just waiting to see what they'll say now.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Crabr1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just got the word from the extended warranty company. They're going to put a complete new rear axle in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.