Jeep JK roof rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep JK roof rack

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jeep JK roof rack

Has anyone figured out how to carry a canoe on the JK? Is there any roof rack systems available for the hard top?

chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

Chris, Do a search on this Jeep forum, many threads on this subject.

08BlueSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

The Congo Cage is the easiest and safest.
A receiver at both end with uprights would work for a long enough boat but would cost more than a cage; it's a good alternative if you don't want a cage...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here you go, tons of info, pics, etc. But if you search "kayak" in titles only you get like 20 more posts also:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/yakima-overhead-rack-wrangler-freedom-top-647518/
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Warrior products also makes a nice rack

Unread 12-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

there's a gabillion threads on this... In brief.. having owned a jeep with a Safari (congo style) rack and a JK now with a Thule artificial rain gutter system. I will NEVER go back to a cage rack. They're noisy, they do flex a bit, forget taking your top off (it can be done, but the PITA factor goes up by 10) and they are INSANELY more expensive. 2 or 4 door, you can have a solid rain gutter system for under $300 that is more than adequate for a kayak. Some guys are running them on factory gutters for light stuff (ski & snowboards), but you will never convince me that the FT panels will support the wind load of a kayak.

Here's my set up (2-dr) I use 4 artificial brackets and 4 extended towers with long bars. I run 2 bikes and 2 creek/play boats from FL to NC all the time.

If you have a 4-dr, I suggest using 2 brackets and 2 xtended towers in the back, and then 2 standard tower on the factory gutters above the rear doors.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

this coming spring, I intend to buy this:

Kargo Master Congo Cage...you can add add-ons, or run it as is...and it's cheap ~$330

I wish I had realized this sooner last season...my kayaks just sat.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
this coming spring, I intend to buy this:

Kargo Master Congo Cage...you can add add-ons, or run it as is...and it's cheap ~$330

I wish I had realized this sooner last season...my kayaks just sat.
Does this rack require any drilling to install?

John
Silver_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

if it does, only the rear bumper. not in the tub like other ones.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Hilton View Post
Does this rack require any drilling to install?

http://www.kargomaster.com/item.asp?id=62

Unread 12-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Silver_Hilton
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BlueSahara View Post
Thanks for the link -- If I understand these installation descriptions correctly, once you install the brackets that hold the rack in place, you can remove the rack whenever you want simply by removing 4 bolts. That sounds pretty attractive, and I like the fact that no special drilling is req'd.
Silver_Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

There will also be a rack out shortly from Body Armor that requires no drilling at all; it will have a basket and light tabs included though. Price will be about $250 more than the Kongo.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/new-roofrack-wranglers-644101/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Chris - with a soft-top, that congo cage is just about your only option, but with a hard top, I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. I owned a rack from Top5 that was almost identical to the cage shown above (only stainless) and the wind noise was BRUTAL and I think I took my top off about 5% of the time that I actually wanted to - it was a huge chore. ...and having to dril into the body; you go right ahead.

You get what you pay for. Cheap cage racks WILL rust, they're flimsy, they make lowering the top so tough that you'll hardly ever do it, they are noisy...

I'm telling you, with the hard top, go with a bolt-on rain gutter rack - those cages look tough, but that's about it. I'll never own another one.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, that may be your setup...

But, make sure to always take your hard top with you when you want to take your bikes out!

All setups have pros and cons. tricked 919 obviously likes his, he had a bad experience with a cage.

All users are different and their needs/wants/opinions are all different.

Hi, Conga Cage is NO DRILL. Not cheap/flimsy, bad paint rusty, Etc. NOT PERFECT - It is noisy!

Definitely don't want it on all the time, I take it off.

"Chores" can be automated (see winch in ceiling): Hoist to take cage and top on/off:

Tell me, should this kayak setup have been mounted on a drill into the hard top solution?

There's only the ability to make a 3Ft crossbar spread MAX on the hard top.

Imagine the stresses put on such a small area going down the freeway at 70!, FOR 500 MILES.

All of our experiences are different, no one solution is perfect. Good luck, get what suits your needs/wants/situation/opinion.

Then, GET OUT AND JEEP!

Last edited by 08BlueSahara; 12-24-2008 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Add additional photo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.