Jeep Hood Latches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Hood Latches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
WranglerHugh
2015 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Hood Latches

Just purchased a new 2015 Jeep Wrangler, which was a life long wish. Anyway when I was driving home it was very windy and a large truck went by me going in the opposite direction. The hood raised up a little and I thought one of the latches had come undone. Well, I was completely faked out by the fact the rubber on the OEM latches had stretched. I got on one of the sites that sells a zillion Jeep parts and started looking for a latch that would hold the hood in place and not be effected by the wind or large trucks. I found two that interested me as they both had adjustments on the latches. One was a Drake Off Road Hold down for $129.99 and the Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hold down for $$99.99.
I liked them both very much. I had one small concern about the Drake Hold down as there is a coated wire that connects the two pieces and was wondering if the coated wires would wear on the paint. I am annal about how my unit looks. I did not see locks as necessary.
I would appreciate any feedback if anyone has either of the units and how they look and operate.
Thanks.

WranglerHugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the Rugged Ridge adjustable alloy catches on my JK, and I'm very happy with them. Easy to fit and adjust, hood never moves.
Just be careful to lay the latch onto the fender flare when you open the hood, if you have painted fenders.....don't be dropping them, lol.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Daystar make a set for $25 that should cure 95% of the hood lift issues.

I don't have them but several jeepers I know say they helped.
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just be glad you don’t have an earlier ’07 – ’08, those latches were really bad. The hoods on those would have you flinching with strong winds and trucks like you mentioned. In ’09 they improved on them although when side by side there were no noticeable differences.

As far as the Drakes go, there’s no need to worry about the cable and paint. When they first came out that was a concern of mine too but soon found out it was a non-issue. Drake is just a few minutes from my house and I was invited to see them mounted on one of their Jeeps. On the ones I observed there was no way the cable would make contact. The pics are very deceiving and appear to rub but not so in real life.

I like the looks of the RR ones the best but I have neither one of them on my Jeep.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I'm not a Ruged Ridge fan as the quality is not to my standards especially the CJ parts...but for what it's worth the hood hold downs are the best looking and provide the no stretch hood flutter I was looking for...

Easy to install and no more hood flutter....
untitled-25.jpg  
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
WranglerHugh
2015 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge

I just went through the section of the forum that lists the things that are a total waste of money. Rugged Ridge Hood latches did NOT get good reviews from a couple of Jeep owners. the Days for $25 are starting to look like the way to go. Simple, low cost, work and easy to install.
Unread 12-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Why are these hold downs bad, as I stated I'm not a fan of Rugged Ridge, but I can't see what is wrong with them. They are solid (for rugged ridge), and can't see anywhere where this product could have problems.

Just curious as to the 2 bad reviews issues...can you post this link?

SC
Unread 12-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
WranglerHugh
2015 JK Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge

The information I viewed concerning Rugged Ridge was under Frequently Asked Questions and then scroll down to the bottom and click on, Things that were installed that were not worth the money. Great place for a newb to go and get some valuable information. Based on your statement the "Quality not up to my standards" and what I read I will pass of Rugged Ridge. Like I said, sometimes simple and low priced can be the way to go.
Unread 12-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #9
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Got it...but for what it's worth these hold downs are the best on the market and I am very satisfied with them.

I hope this helps...

SC
Unread 12-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerHugh View Post
Just purchased a new 2015 Jeep Wrangler, which was a life long wish. Anyway when I was driving home it was very windy and a large truck went by me going in the opposite direction. The hood raised up a little and I thought one of the latches had come undone. Well, I was completely faked out by the fact the rubber on the OEM latches had stretched. I got on one of the sites that sells a zillion Jeep parts and started looking for a latch that would hold the hood in place and not be effected by the wind or large trucks. I found two that interested me as they both had adjustments on the latches. One was a Drake Off Road Hold down for $129.99 and the Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hold down for $$99.99.
I liked them both very much. I had one small concern about the Drake Hold down as there is a coated wire that connects the two pieces and was wondering if the coated wires would wear on the paint. I am annal about how my unit looks. I did not see locks as necessary.
I would appreciate any feedback if anyone has either of the units and how they look and operate.
Thanks.
I have the Rampage locking ones on both mine and my wife's Jeeps. They solve the hood flutter and also provide added security. I'm very happy with them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13...FeZj7AodgBIAhQ

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was looking at the Rugged ridge ones as well but it said they did not fit the 2013 Jeeps. I see Leigh has a 2013, steve what year is yours? I'd like to order them but just want to confirmt hat they will in fact fit.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I still have the stockers on mine-

No Flutter-

You can buy anything, or fixit yourself--FREE=

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
mtbr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post
Daystar make a set for $25 that should cure 95% of the hood lift issues.

I don't have them but several jeepers I know say they helped.

I've put these on my last 2 JK's and they work great!
2008 4 door Sahara / Rescue Green Jeep Club Member #15
1992 YJ / White
mtbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
ncb

This simple mode only cost a couple bucks and works perfectly. 1/2 inch square tubing and a couple zip ties. Easy peasy and no hood hop.
image-1516020252.jpg

ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

I bought locking hood latches. Solves the flutter and keeps things safe underneath.

You might expand your thoughts to getting locking ones as well.
Not sure of the brand I bought I can look at it when i get home. I think Rampage comes to mind.

I have a 2015 JKu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.