Jeep Hitch Mounted Cargo Box w/ Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Hitch Mounted Cargo Box w/ Pics

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
wvsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Hitch Mounted Cargo Box w/ Pics

Hello, We recently purchased a 2011 Jeep JK Unlimited Sahara with hardtop. We travel on vacation every year to the outer banks North Carolina. We used to use a roof mounted cargo box on our old grand cherokee. So, now we cant use the cargo box with our new wrangler hardtop because it has no roof rack.

I looked into mounting a roof rack on our jeep but couldnt bring myself to drill holes into the painted hardtop so we searched on hitch mounted cargo boxes. The only one we could find that would swing open far enough to let the tailgate open all the way so the glass could open was the Rola Brand.

I thought this info might be helpfull to someone else.

wvsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
ROBSMST

Not sure if this will help you or anyone else but one option is:

Thule Roof Rack Gutter Mount Foot Pack

Thule LB58 Roof Rack Load Bars

Your choice of basket or carrier.

Up to 165lbs I believe

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
ROBSMST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing, that is a sweet storage system.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
JkE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice cargo box. I'm looking to get something similar since I drive from Virginia Beach to Southern Indiana twice a year. I also enjoyed the Outer Banks yesterday.
JkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
wvsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkE View Post
Nice cargo box. I'm looking to get something similar since I drive from Virginia Beach to Southern Indiana twice a year. I also enjoyed the Outer Banks yesterday.
thats where were headed, the outer banks this friday! Cant wait to hit the sand and relax with lots of coronas and limes!
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like that. How much does it cost? I'm a little afraid to hear though.
tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
wvsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony673 View Post
I like that. How much does it cost? I'm a little afraid to hear though.
IM afraid to tell how much!! 600.00. And my wife shopped it online and got free shipping. i think they retail for 800.00

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice set-up and easy access. So now that you have it, how would you rate it?
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsahara View Post
IM afraid to tell how much!! 600.00. And my wife shopped it online and got free shipping. i think they retail for 800.00

That's not too bad. Still above my pay grade, but it looks worth it for the quality off it. Good find!
tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

WV Sahara,

Thanks for taking the time to post up! Very nice storage option that solves the problem of so many others that don't allow the rear gate to open.

Your Jeep looks great. Love the white top, wish I had one - the black top gets hot - but I'd go black fenders!

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Get rid of the white top. It burns my eyes. White+Black = awesome. White+WHite = Yuck. Nice storage; bit bulky.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
wvsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dang!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
Get rid of the white top. It burns my eyes. White+Black = awesome. White+WHite = Yuck. Nice storage; bit bulky.
white plus white = Yuck?? for real? I think it makes the jeep! Everyone has their opinon so I will tell u mine about "Mango Tango".......I think it looks good.................when a girl drives it. LOL

btw..........storage box works great! easy access. Maybe not for the trail but perfect for vacations. Just pop the latches and carry the box inside and ur unloaded and ready to go!!

Thanks for your opinon on the white + white. I LOVE the look. Gonna add some black tho.

Peace!
Unread 06-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks real nice. When we go traveling Wife + Me + Dog we have a hitch mounted flat thingie + cargo bag. Would really like the swing away, it looks great.

And for those who hate on the body colored Sahara tops....well...All I can say is, I think it looks good. I thought I got a hard time for having painted fenders... Welcome to the club and don't forget to wave!
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
wvsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Looks real nice. When we go traveling Wife + Me + Dog we have a hitch mounted flat thingie + cargo bag. Would really like the swing away, it looks great.

And for those who hate on the body colored Sahara tops....well...All I can say is, I think it looks good. I thought I got a hard time for having painted fenders... Welcome to the club and don't forget to wave!
Thanks!! The cargo box was expensive but worked perfect on our trip to the obx this past week! Easy to load and unload and just swing it over to open the back for the dog to get out. I would highly reccomend it. I was going to drill the roof and add luggage bars for the rooftop cargo box we allready have but i just couldnt make my self drill the roof. and the hitch mount is so easy to load and unload.

and i cant believe all the negativity on these forums! oh well.......... i will just wave. LOL
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsahara View Post
Thanks!! The cargo box was expensive but worked perfect on our trip to the obx this past week! Easy to load and unload and just swing it over to open the back for the dog to get out. I would highly reccomend it. I was going to drill the roof and add luggage bars for the rooftop cargo box we allready have but i just couldnt make my self drill the roof. and the hitch mount is so easy to load and unload.

and i cant believe all the negativity on these forums! oh well.......... i will just wave. LOL
Don't worry about the negativity. You drive a Jeep. It is part of the club to give people a hard time but then have some sort of weird brotherly love. Kinda like a older brother who picks on you your whole life but when it really comes down to it he'll help you out if you get stuck in the mud.

OBX is great. Where you'all headed? I love the North end of Corolla, etc. Saharas rock.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.