jEEP GIVE US THE DIESEL HECK IF THE hUMMER H3 HAD A SMALL DIESEL IT WOULD BE NUMBER 1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > jEEP GIVE US THE DIESEL HECK IF THE hUMMER H3 HAD A SMALL DIESEL IT WOULD BE NUMBER 1

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
4.0v8eater

jEEP GIVE US THE DIESEL HECK IF THE hUMMER H3 HAD A SMALL DIESEL IT WOULD BE NUMBER 1

Chrysler was lucky the new Hummer H3 wasnt a diesel or id be driving one and passed on liberty CRD. All jeeps gotta do is build a inexpenisve 4x4 using parts made toss in a turbo diesel and volla number one suv. Toyota has been missing the mark price wise here's DCs chance.

4.0v8eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
yj_ryn

Why does everyone have to compare the H3 to the JK?
Unread 06-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Chazwozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0v8eater
Chrysler was lucky the new Hummer H3 wasnt a diesel or id be driving one and passed on liberty CRD. All jeeps gotta do is build a inexpenisve 4x4 using parts made toss in a turbo diesel and volla number one suv. Toyota has been missing the mark price wise here's DCs chance.

And the benefit of a turbo diesel Wranger is....?
Chazwozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
mpd8488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazwozel
Lots of torque, bullet proof reliability, great gas mileage . . .

mpd8488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

...more expensive to maitain.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
KWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488

The poor gas mileage has much more to do with the fact that the wrangler is about as aerodynamic as a bus and less to do with the fact that the engine craves gas like a fat kid and cookies... The diesel would help but I still wouldn't say the mileage is great. On the upside you could drive it 300000miles!

1969 Camaro z28 clone
2007 Commander
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
MPETESS10

Quote:
Originally Posted by k69camaroz28
The poor gas mileage has much more to do with the fact that the wrangler is about as aerodynamic as a bus and less to do with the fact that the engine craves gas like a fat kid and cookies... The diesel would help but I still wouldn't say the mileage is great. On the upside you could drive it 300000miles!

yea cause we all know that the 4.0 was unreliable and would never even come close to 300k miles
and for something 4x4 and with the drag coeffiecient of a barn door I have to say that my 23 mpg at 80 mph on the hwy in my XJ is pretty dang good
and 16-18 around town isnt too shabby either

dont get me wrong
I would love to see a diesel powered gladiator/wrangler not because of better reliability but more because I am a firm believer in biodiesel and since the liberty CRD already leaves the factory with a b20 blend of bio that leads me to beleive it wouldnt take much if anything to run 100% bio

bring on the diesel jeeps 1 and all
its only a matter of time
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazwozel

All of the above plus the potential to run biodesiel at 80 centsa gallon.

Think about it, Michigan, where I live, ranks up there in the top 5 fattest states. Theres a reason for that - I cant go 3 blocks without seeing some fast food joint. Assuming its vegetable based thats alot of fuel !! Geez, while the state is sinking under the increased weight, I could be driving a rubicon CRD and giving the finger to oil companies and the middle east/ Venezuela. Not to mention biodiesels cleaner emissions. Less CO2, less warming of the atmosphere, less heat in the summer= the less I have to smell all that cottage cheese trapped between all the skin folds in MI. See it benefits EVERYONE.

**shakes head wakes up** wait the wrangler doesn't even offer a diesel.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Diesel H3.

Hell if the Hummer H3 had a diesel engine option I would buy it.
newguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

I know biodiesel is cheaper but you have to have a way to get it or make it and around here regular diesel costs more then regular gas, so unless your getting a lot better gas milage, which the liberty is said to get around 22 on the highway, your not going to really save any money in the long run with a diesel.
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Quote:
which the liberty is said to get around 22 on the highway, your not going to really save any money in the long run with a diesel.
I don't know where you are getting that number from, but I know it's not correct. The 4 people I know with Gas KJs are jumping for joy to get 18 or 19. Our CRD gets a tick over 30 mpg on the highway. We are getting 150% of the milage of the gasoline version. With the fuel prices so high we are making out even better, we actually pay off the additional cost of the diesel option sooner. I don't own a new Wrangler, so I can't comment much on their weight, but I can tell you the Libby is a heavy beast, much heavier than my XJ. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if the newer Wranglers were far lighter than the KJs. That could offset the loss of aerodynamics a small bit. I can not imagine any Wrangler owner complaining about getting 25+ mpg on the highway.

Also, the easiest renewable fuel to manufacture, distribute, and adapt to available vehicles is Bio-diesel. Don't believe the hybrid hype, when it comes to recyling the batteries, and disposing of the carcass of the vehicle, they loose all of their gain. When my KJ falls apart, I'll be able to drop the diesel into my Wrangler.
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
cjwheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488

My wife has a 2004 6.0 TurboDiesel Powerstroke in her Excursion. Reliability? I've had 2 turbos replaced, all the injectors replaced and other leaks and crap. All of this stuff has happend in the first 35000 miles.

Do you really want to try a new Chrysler diesel in a Jeep? Now if it was one of the Mercedes diesels that might be a different story. IMHO of course
cjwheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

the 22 i basicly pulled out of my *** but I dont know anyone that just drives on the highway, so unless you live right off the highway, you do city too. I think your 30mpg claim is a little high but it dosent matter. I still think with the cost to maintain a diesel and that diesel cost more then regular, your still not doing much for yourself.
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Maybe if you scream and start a thead about it on JF it will happen
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Quote:
the 22 i basicly pulled out of my *** but I dont know anyone that just drives on the highway, so unless you live right off the highway, you do city too. I think your 30mpg claim is a little high but it dosent matter. I still think with the cost to maintain a diesel and that diesel cost more then regular, your still not doing much for yourself.
We get about 24 or 25 in the city, and that's in the mountains. As far as maintenance, I have to use synthetic oil, but I only change it every 6,000 miles so it's about an even draw. It has had one warrenty visit to the shop, which is about average for the gasoline KJ drivers I know. I don't understand your concept that a diesel is more costly or difficult to maintain. My history with other diesels has proven to be just the opposite. The CRD is an engine that VM Motori uses all over Europe, and has for many years. It is not a new design and has been refined many times from it's initial form.

I did a lot of thinking prior to spending the extra on the diesel, and some very terrible things would have to happen before I didn't at least break even, and barrnig any tragic issues, I could come out way ahead, especially with sky high gasoline prices.
When I did the initial figures, regular was about $0.30 less than diesel. It has been about $0.10 cheaper for quite a while. In my area the price of diesel doesn't jump all over the place like gasoline. At times, gas is just as expensive. The closer to the prices the faster (in miles) I pay off the additional cost of the diesel option.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.