Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
tjone2

Jeep Fire - Catastrophic Failure

My Jeep caught on fire today while I was driving it. It was an 08 Sahara, pretty much stock. Only mods were a new bumper winch and lights. I was parked at a red light after approximately 15 minutes of drive time when somebody told me it looked like something was dripping onto my muffler and starting to smoke. Then a different car started honking and screaming at me to get out because it was on fire. I have no idea what happened. The last time it wasn't on the pavement was over a week ago and I wasn't even beating on it at all.

Anybody seen anything like this happen? Any insight on to what may have caused this?

More pictures:
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/tjone2/fire/

I was transmitting my gps coordinates from my iPhone while all this happened. You can see all the data points from where I turned it on when I left work up until the point where the iPhone unfortunately met it's demise.

http://www.instamapper.com/trk?key=1374070949135173564

Last edited by tjone2; 03-21-2009 at 03:16 AM..
tjone2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
KICKER32
2009 JK Wrangler 

Who wired the winch and lights?
KICKER32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
tjone2

Had that done by a shop called "Searcher's" - real stand up guys. I seriously doubt that was the cause. The tail end was in flames way before I could even see smoke looking forward.
tjone2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
KICKER32
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just noticed you said someone pointed out something dripping on the muffler(my bad)...Fuel leak?Oily rag or debris on the exhaust?

Real bummer...
KICKER32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Any idea which area the fire started? Front, middle, rear? I've heard of a couple JK's burning but never a definitive source.

Out of curiosity, how long was it burning to get to that state? That sucks, glad you are ok.
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

well theres a serious problem if something was dripping on the muffler as there is noting but sheet metal above the exhaust. it was prob tranny fluid dripping on the exhaust up by the transmission (in the front/middle). glad you got out ok
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

there have been quite a few reports of unexplained fires in the past- all of them were 4dr automatics. Which pointed to a possible issue with the transmission fluid overflow. I think this is the first 2dr I've seen.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
well theres a serious problem if something was dripping on the muffler as there is noting but sheet metal above the exhaust. it was prob tranny fluid dripping on the exhaust up by the transmission (in the front/middle). glad you got out ok
He said the back was on fire first. A witness said it was in the area of the muffler.

Looking at his pictures, it sure looks like it started middle/up front.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Add comment.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

glad you got out ok....real bummer. hopefully, with insurance and discounts you can be back in another soon. maybe this time you can get a rubi?

count your blessings.....sure looks a mess.

cass
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I saw a JK last year with a completely burnt out front end.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

glad you got out okay.

Question: when you last had it out in the field, did you go over grass, dry weeds or taller shrubbry?

The reason I ask is, in prior fire threads, all jeeps had been in taller/dry grass which seemingly gets snagged up and around the catalytic converter. The cat is very hot, ultimately whatever is stuck up there will eventually burn when it finally gets dried out enough & reaches flash point.
It could have been wet weeds... who knows, but ultimately it will dry out and become flamable.

After time in the field, I like to take a quick "looksie" under the carriage to see what gets stuck on the bottom.

Good luck with the insurance companies & dealership
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

There is a problem with the automatics catching fire because the tranny fluid will overflow and leak out right on top the the exhaust. The pipe gets too hot and the fluid catches fire quickly spreading to the rest of the combustible fluids in the Jeep. I've read about a few of these happening on another forum.

On an unrelated note I'm glad I bought a stickshift.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey your spare tire still looks like its in good condition, how much you want for it ?

J/k. That totally sucks man, hope everythings covered
Unread 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
pm203
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkrdfool View Post
Hey your spare tire still looks like its in good condition, how much you want for it ?

J/k. That totally sucks man, hope everythings covered
That's the insurance companys now.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
rayzordee
2008 JK Wrangler 

I too have a 08 Sahara 4 door. At 8000 miles they had to replace my gas tank. They said the neck peice (plastic of course) became separated from some other Doohickey thing. I never really understood what was the problem. The Dealer acted a little strange about it too. MY 2 cents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.