Jeep died and then came alive again ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep died and then came alive again ???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
ramseycj8
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeep died and then came alive again ???

Driving to work today and my 2012 Jeep Rubicon out of the blue the gas pedal went to the floor with no acceleration and the gauges all went to the left and the dash lit up, the dash beeped, and my jeep shut itself off. It restarted after the first try after I let it sit for a minute. I have about 39K miles on it. Not under warranty anymore unfortunately. Thanks!

Unread 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

why isn't it under warranty? I though 12-14 had a 100k 5 year warranty?
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
ramseycj8
2012 JK Wrangler 

I didn't think it did. Last time I brought it in under warranty the dealer said I was close to the end.
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Definitely find out about the warranty. Check with jeep.com

Is there any CEL or MIL? Anything loose around the engine? Like wiring.

Any codes thrown? Some, not all, codes can be read by: key in ignition, turn (without starting) On/Off/On/Off/On then watch the odometer. It should read as ------ , then display either code(s) or "done".

Or most any auto parts store will use a code reader for you for free.

My wild guess is TIPM. but that's just a guess, if course.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
ramseycj8
2012 JK Wrangler 

No codes and it started up fine afterwards. Guess I will go to the auto parts store down the road and see if anything comes up.
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Load check the battery and check the charging system....
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseycj8 View Post
Driving to work today and my 2012 Jeep Rubicon out of the blue the gas pedal went to the floor with no acceleration and the gauges all went to the left and the dash lit up, the dash beeped, and my jeep shut itself off. It restarted after the first try after I let it sit for a minute. I have about 39K miles on it. Not under warranty anymore unfortunately. Thanks!
Ignition switch issues possibly? Start it and jiggle the key to see if you can get it to repeat the problem.

I had a Ford a few years back that had the same issue. It turned out to be a shorting wire in the steering column. It would ocassionally short out (hitting a bump, moving the steering wheel) and the vehicle would just turn off. It would start back up but finally fried the ignition unit and then it would not start again. It took a while to find this problem. Good Luck.

Mike
Wrigley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Hemimonster425
2014 JK Wrangler 

I might be wrong but most of the time when I take my vehicles in w.o a cel they won't do anything. Even if your out if your 3/36 bumper to bumper that should be covered under the drivetrain warranty
Hemimonster425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
Ignition switch issues possibly? Start it and jiggle the key to see if you can get it to repeat the problem.

I had a Ford a few years back that had the same issue. It turned out to be a shorting wire in the steering column. It would ocassionally short out (hitting a bump, moving the steering wheel) and the vehicle would just turn off. It would start back up but finally fried the ignition unit and then it would not start again. It took a while to find this problem. Good Luck.

Mike
that would not set of the dash and beeps. or every time you turned the jeep off that would happen. Just my thoughts on that. but you never know.

TIPM is not covered by drive train and they are well known to fail(that is a Chrysler thing). There is even people working a law suite and it is supposedly under investigation. who knows were that goes. One reason i went with a extended warranty. The cost of the electrical issues on these new cars is rather high. just a TIPM is like 1k. My guess is that the part in question is basically your fuse box. Moisture condensation mat be their issue or just poorly made. again my opinion.
Unread 07-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
ramseycj8
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went to the local auto store and they tested the system... yada yada. Anyway, they could not get a reading whatsoever on the alternator. It would not register whatsoever on their meter. I am going to hit the other auto store on my way home and see what their meter reads.
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

In three years - TWICE my 11 has done this for no apparent reason, once my brothers 11 and once our 12 toad has (but the toad gets battery disconnected and thus reset every time we tow).

Every time reseting by disconnecting the battery terminals and reconnecting cured.

The third time mine did it (and not for no reason this time) I had let it sit for over a month - went to start it and NADA. So I put the jump charger on my primary battery it showed 7.5 volts at first - hit the starter at 11.3 volts. CLICK - crazy flashing and voltage showed 10.8. Jumped with a battery and it fired and ran fine (and has been for just over two weeks now daily running).

I am convinced its a CanBUS error issue when voltage is unexpectedly low.. no CEL to throw.

As I said - load check, charge check (and adding - check all your grounds for anything that could make a sudden drop in voltage)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.