Jeep at Dealership all day. Litterally got nowhere - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep at Dealership all day. Litterally got nowhere

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Jeep at Dealership all day. Litterally got nowhere

Issue #1: when i turn the knob to get air blowing out of the top and bottom vents, I can barely feel any air coming out of the bottom vents. If I turn it to bottom only, it comes out great. But not when top/bottom selected. Dealer says I had a piece of paper almost in the vent. I thought "ok,makes sense". but when i picked it up nothing had changed. I couldnt talk to them about it because service department had already left.

Issue #2:

MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

finally got the vid on. Make sure volume is up. Noise goes away briefly when I engaged clutch. Returns when I let out.
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

If that is normal..... I guess I need to take my 08 back in and have my clutch fixed! Mine doesn't make any noise !

I'd go to another dealer, if that doesn't help, I'd go straight to Chrysler. That is not normal.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's not normal in any way, shape, or form.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

thats what I was thinking. Im going back tomorrow to address the vent issue. if I get nowhere, I'll have to take it to Ringold,GA. The next closest dealership is the same folks.
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

my 12' 6 speed sounds almost no different from engaged to disengaged. That sound is not normal.
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can't really tell what I'm hearing there..... but I definitely hear a difference between engaged and disengaged. My 2005 six-speed has a definite rattle when in neutral and the clutch pedal is released. I've understood it to be normal on mine, not sure if the new ones are any different.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

/goes to check jeep for said noise
but seriously not normal, somethings happening in there
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

My TJ made that noise...and it was fairly normal My '12 JKUR...not so much. Go to Ringgold or Chattanooga (assuming Chatt's not the same guys...).

As a fellow Dozer owner...love the blacked out accessories.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Took jeep back to the dealership to so they could try to diagnose this. I got a call around 3 pm that It was fine. Over the phone the service department manager assured me this was normal. He claimed they had 13's that made the same sounds just not as loud. he also claimed that 12's with more miles made the noise but much louder. They claimed to have called jeep engineers and they said the jeep is fine. some interesting info is that they informed me that if I pushed my shifter up or down about a half inch it would stop. Sure enough, it did as if i was pressing in my clutch.Syncronizers maybe?

Its quite nerve racking that im going to have to constantly keep pressure on my shifter just so i doesnt sound like my transmission is falling apart inside. Going to call different dealership in the morning as well as call Jeep. If the noise will get much louder with more miles,and it's normal,i will be looking into trading for an Automatic.
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

What does the linkage look like? Does the shifter physically go into the transmission from above? Everything I've had (even RWD) has been linkage down the side of the housing, not directly into it.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

pressing in the clutch stops the noise also. Could it still be a linkage problem?
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, that was actually just me being curious, my JK is an auto.

I can't think of anything in common between the clutch system and the shifter that could cause this. Maybe there's a vibration in the input shaft/pressure plate/bearings that's making the linkage squeak...I'm really reaching here. But if the shifter doesn't go directly into the transmission case I really can't explain how pushing on it does anything.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the NV3550 5Sp in my TJ and it was louder than that once it warmed up. It would literally sound like rocks being shaken in a tin can. I have forgot what caused it, been a while, but it was normal for that tranny.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you think about a manual transmission mechanically, different things are happening when clutch is in versus released, so therefore it's obviously going to sound different.

My 2012 6 speed sounds the same, and I believe it to be normal.

The 2012 6 speed that I test drove before I bought mine sounded the same as well.

The previous TJ's I've had also sounded this way.

So did my YJ.

Start the engine, tranny in neutral, clutch out, and turn your AC on(so the compressor runs).
That noise get's louder, doesn't it?
Normal.

Start the engine, tranny in neutral, clutch out, push up on shifter and it stops(yes, I know you covered this already...just follow me). Normal.
Start the engine, tranny in neutral, clutch out, BE IN LOW RANGE, push up on shifter and your Jeep will creep forward. Normal.

It's normal. Every one does it.
If you say yours doesn't, come to Columbus Ohio and let me listen.
If it doesn't do it, I'll pay your Jeep off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.