Jeep Dealer HAS to be WRONG!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Dealer HAS to be WRONG!!

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKBryan View Post
fernjack just posted that I could get a local shop to install the cooler and I could tell the dealership that I installed it myself and it should not effect my warranty. Why would I not tell the dealership that I had another local shop to install it instead of telling them I installed it? Thanks, Bryan
My reason behind this is it just ends the stealership from saying "the other shop caused this or that and THEY should warranty your trans." . In my opinon it just cuts off any stupidity they WILL try and pull if their trans on warranty fails . Either way an aux. cooler will do nothing but HELP an auto in towing mode or just hard driving in hot weather . You are correct though it should not matter WHO installs the cooler as long as it has been done correctly & the trans fluid has been topped up the the proper level .

07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
scottman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Any reputable local transmission shop should be able to do this for ~$200 and Chrysler has to prove that the installed piece caused the failure in order for it to affect your warranty. That said the transmission cooler is a $50 part and takes 1 hr to install yourself with a knife to cut the lines and a screwdriver to tighten the hose clamps...
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
Snowbird01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another 2 cents for shop install, any shop that specialize in hitch install regularly upgrade auto trannys !
Snowbird01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
The only time an added cooler would be an issue is if it was the cause of related failure. ...An aftermarket part can and will be used as the potential cause of any related issue. If this comes up then we simply have to prove that the problem would have occurred regardless of the installation of said part....
JLC is correct on all counts except one: "we" have nothing to prove. The burden of proof is on Chrysler/dealer. The Moss-Magnusen Act requires the dealer prove (not simply suggest) that the aftermarket part directly caused the failure for which the warranty claim is being denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
IMHO ANYONE with a JK and auto should be adding a cooler...
Absolutely true.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #20
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't even tow and I am adding a cooler next month. Everywhere I read, it seems that heat kills transmissions. Unless there is a defect in mine, I don't see it failing under warranty, but the heat these things make will kill it eventually. I'd rather protect my transmission long term and risk fighting with a dealer than skip the aux cooler and potentially reduce my transmission's life.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
CptSnoopy
2010 JK Wrangler 

OK -- I am going to ask a really dumb question here. I am about to get a Jeep Rubicon 2DR with a manual 6-speed. I don't intent to tow anything, but I do want to off-road. Do I need to look at installing one of these too?
CptSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #22
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

nope, we dont have transmission fluid with a manual...
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #23
CptSnoopy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks -- I thought that was it, but I just wanted to be sure. I really need to read and read to get caught up on all the stuff I can do and need. This is opening up just a whole new world to me!
CptSnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
JLC is correct on all counts except one: "we" have nothing to prove. The burden of proof is on Chrysler/dealer. The Moss-Magnusen Act requires the dealer prove (not simply suggest) that the aftermarket part directly caused the failure for which the warranty claim is being denied.

Absolutely true.
Actually how warranty's are written now it is the customer that has to prove they still have a warranty.The lawyers have bypassed the MM act long ago via wording.Why do you think all those extended powertrain warranty's came around,because you the owner must prove that you took care of your vehicle.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #25
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm afraid thats so true-

If your transmission fails, the dealer can just say OK, it'll cost you, $2800 bucks to fix !!

Yea, you're under warranty, but YOU'VE gotta write the letters, make the phone calls, sometimes get a lawyer to PROVE THAT IT'S THE MFG DEFECT !!

They don't GOTTA DO NOTHING !!

Now having said that, not all dealers are like that, hopefully if you have that trouble, you'll (anybody) be OK

Minor warranty items are usually taken care of EASY---this ain't minor !!

Good luck !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
Kastiron
2008 JK Wrangler 

I thought the 2 doors all came with 1,000lb towing rating? Is it 2,000 now?

You might already be over the limit with an empty trailer.
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastiron View Post
I thought the 2 doors all came with 1,000lb towing rating? Is it 2,000 now?

You might already be over the limit with an empty trailer.
According to your owner's manual:
3.21 = 1,000 lbs.
3.73 and 4.10 = 2,000 lbs.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Kastiron
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! I was just about to run home and check that. My mistake!

I really need to re-gear..
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I'm afraid thats so true-

If your transmission fails, the dealer can just say OK, it'll cost you, $2800 bucks to fix !!

Yea, you're under warranty, but YOU'VE gotta write the letters, make the phone calls, sometimes get a lawyer to PROVE THAT IT'S THE MFG DEFECT !!

They don't GOTTA DO NOTHING !!

Now having said that, not all dealers are like that, hopefully if you have that trouble, you'll (anybody) be OK

Minor warranty items are usually taken care of EASY---this ain't minor !!

Good luck !

JIMBO
Yes there are many dealers that are not a-holes.In this day and age you need to follow the maintenance schedule and have proof that it was preformed.Not saying you need every receipt or even take it to a shop,you can do it yourself but keep the receipt stating what kind of fluid was used and the date.The receipts show a trend that proves you have been making a effort to properly maintain your vehicle.

Being lifted with bigger then stock tires will throw up some flags on major drivetrain claims,as will using the wrong fluids.

Oh and yes I have seen warranty(bumper to bumper warranty) denied right from Chrysler on a JK that had less then 10,000 miles when the trans took a dump,it had Amsoil ATF in it and is not speced for the trans so no warranty.Amsoil told him to pound sand also,so much for there warranty.
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #30
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
the trailer weighs 1500lbs empty, so unless he is towing around an empty trailer for ****s and grins then it is gonna weigh more. considering the wrangler towing ability sucks anyways i would want to be safe than sorry
An EMPTY 5x8 trailer that weighs 1500 pounds? Wow.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
automatic transmission , cooler , JK Wrangler , towing , trans cooler , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.