Jeep Dealer HAS to be WRONG!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Dealer HAS to be WRONG!!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
OKBryan

Jeep Dealer HAS to be WRONG!!

Hello:

My name is Bryan and I am new to Jeeps and to this forum.

I recently purchased a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler with V6 and auto transmission. I have a question that I hope you experts can help me with.

I wish to pull a 5 X 8 enclosed cargo trailer which weighs about 1500 lbs. Nearily every truck that I have owned states I should have a transmission cooler installed to protect the transmission. All the trailer companies that I have delt with in the past suggest the same thing--get a trans cooler.

I went to dealership that I purchased the Jeep from and service manager advised he didn't think Jeep made one. I asked him again and he advised he would ask their Jeep rep. 11 days later I called and he advised that it would cost $848.00 for Jeep brand.

That sounded high so I took Jeep to another dealer and the service rep. there stated they would install a Jeep trans. cooler for $700.00. Then one of the mechanics came out and advised me I didn't need it because I had automatic transmission and that they all came with the trans cooler already installed!!?? I also told him I read on the Jeep web site that I needed a special transmission fluid when pulling a trailer. Again, he stated I didn't need it as it came with auto transmissions.

So, one of the dealer has to be wrong!! I am disappointed that Jeep service departments do not seem to know what they are doing and I don't know who to believe. I have spent three hours looking for answer in my owners manual and also tried to call Jeep but got the wrong department for them to answer my question--after 22 minutes waiting for human to answer.

Can one of you provide me an answer. I don't won't to ruin my new Jeep pulling a trailer without a cooler.

Thank you for your kindness, Bryan

OKBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

For 1500 lbs, you don't need an additional cooler than what comes with the JK.

If you were going to pull 3500 lbs daily for an extended period during the summer, then I'd install an additional after-market tranny cooler.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
For 1500 lbs, you don't need an additional cooler than what comes with the JK.

If you were going to pull 3500 lbs daily for an extended period during the summer, then I'd install an additional after-market tranny cooler.
the trailer weighs 1500lbs empty, so unless he is towing around an empty trailer for ****s and grins then it is gonna weigh more. considering the wrangler towing ability sucks anyways i would want to be safe than sorry
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im sure someone that has installed one will speak up, they are not hard at all to install yourself. An aux cooler is always recommended and would be a great benift even if you dont tow. Those prices are WAY too high, I think people are doing it themselves for like $50 total...And yes there is a tranmission cooler already but is really bad. You will be safe if you are only pulling it a few times. There is a light that comes on if the temp get too much.
Next time dont waste your time asking the stealership, 99% of them I think have brain damage. The other 1% who work are smart and are the ones crusing around these forums
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKBryan View Post
Hello:

My name is Bryan and I am new to Jeeps and to this forum.

I recently purchased a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler with V6 and auto transmission. I have a question that I hope you experts can help me with.

I wish to pull a 5 X 8 enclosed cargo trailer which weighs about 1500 lbs. Nearily every truck that I have owned states I should have a transmission cooler installed to protect the transmission. All the trailer companies that I have delt with in the past suggest the same thing--get a trans cooler.

I went to dealership that I purchased the Jeep from and service manager advised he didn't think Jeep made one. I asked him again and he advised he would ask their Jeep rep. 11 days later I called and he advised that it would cost $848.00 for Jeep brand.

That sounded high so I took Jeep to another dealer and the service rep. there stated they would install a Jeep trans. cooler for $700.00. Then one of the mechanics came out and advised me I didn't need it because I had automatic transmission and that they all came with the trans cooler already installed!!?? I also told him I read on the Jeep web site that I needed a special transmission fluid when pulling a trailer. Again, he stated I didn't need it as it came with auto transmissions.

So, one of the dealer has to be wrong!! I am disappointed that Jeep service departments do not seem to know what they are doing and I don't know who to believe. I have spent three hours looking for answer in my owners manual and also tried to call Jeep but got the wrong department for them to answer my question--after 22 minutes waiting for human to answer.

Can one of you provide me an answer. I don't won't to ruin my new Jeep pulling a trailer without a cooler.

Thank you for your kindness, Bryan
First, Is your JK 2dr, or 4dr?

Regarding the cooler, yes there is one already installed. It is inadequate, though.
Install an additional cooler for any towing, and off-roading.

Regarding the special fluid for towing, you may have read that for the rear differential.
For towing, you should use 75W-140 synthetic gear oil.

Welcome to the Forum!
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, Warlord2 is absolutely right !!

The stock cooler supplied with the jeep A/C condenser, is pitiful and won't do the job for traffic/ hills/especially off-road and pulling a trailer--ANYWHERE

Your 2010, probably has the J30 (recall-2007/8/9), already, that puts an idiot light on the dash that flash's (HOT OIL) and then puts engine into "LIMP" mode, so the auto fluid won't boil-over and flash-fire !!

YOU NEED an AUX COOLER to do any towing

Mine is an 18,000GVW (B&M) cooler, from JCWhitney and I put it in last year, about $75 bucks--savior !!

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
OKBryan

First of all to answer one question, it is the 2 door model which has 2000 lb. rating.

I would love to pay the $50-$75 for the cooler, BUT I have no ability or tools to do it. I have never had the training, etc. to do this type work. How would you suggest that I find a shop that would do the work properly and at the same time not rip me off?? I live in a very small town. I could go to a large city about 35 min. away, but I seem to get ripped off everytime I go there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bryan
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does anybody that you know or see around, have a Jeep(wrangler)??

I would ask them for a shop recommendation. Worth a try, you'll pay way too much at a dealer....IMHO
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You probably have some jeeps or jeep clubs around you, or close

Jeepers are wonderful people (mostofem) and you could find a jeeper who has either doneit or knows someone who has

This has been going on for a lot longer than just the JK jeep, so search around

At worst call your local mechanics and explain what the trouble is and get some good estimates, I would think that $250 bucks plus material would do the job !!

Your main problem is that if you have it done by a NON-DEALER--your warranty could be in jeopardy, should you ever have tranny trouble--it's a jungle out there !!

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just lost a great reply due to my fumble fingers where I basicly said I don't know the answer, not being a tow-er, but you'll probably get your answer here in short oder and they have been coming in as I was typing.

Keep doing what you are doing, asking questions. They're no big deal but you don't want someone messing with your new $30,000 Jeep leaving a connector loose and frying your trans. I had one put on my rusty old 1971 K-5 Chevy Blazer years ago and it was no big deal. An independent transmission shop would have the most experience with these and should be a no brainer for them. Or, a place that rents trailers. Any competent auto-repair shop should be able to install one. Ask older people with trucks and trailer hitches who they recommend.

As for help from Chrysler Customer Service by phone, I'm still waiting for a new Jeep and Accessory brochures, for my then, yet to be purchased 2009, that I called three time for in 2008--I guess it's still in the mail working it's way through Canadian Customs where their call center is.

Last edited by tennistom1; 07-25-2010 at 09:53 AM..
tennistom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Welcome aboard , it's a very easy and straight forward job . I understand you feel unable to do the install yourself . I know if I had chosen an auto I would put an aux cooler in as I have always done in the past . A local shop suggested through a local Jeep club as previously suggested is probably the way to go . B&M makes a good cooler . I would just tell the stealership I installed it myself and it should not affect your warranty . If something happened and your trans failed they would have to prove it was because your cooler leaked or was blocked ....... just sayin'
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
OKBryan

fernjack just posted that I could get a local shop to install the cooler and I could tell the dealership that I installed it myself and it should not effect my warranty. Why would I not tell the dealership that I had another local shop to install it instead of telling them I installed it? Thanks, Bryan
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Who installs it shouldn't make a difference!
If you hire someone to install something then it is reasonable to say "I installed it!"
The only time an added cooler would be an issue is if it was the cause of related failure. i.e. If you hit a tree and bust your radiator and the engine seizes they will not cover the repairs under warranty! (same goes for cooler)
An aftermarket part can and will be used as the potential cause of any related issue. If this comes up then we simply have to prove that the problem would have occurred regardless of the installation of said part.
After all of this it is highly recommended (even by Chrysler) to install an additional automatic transmission cooler.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree who installs it should not matter, heat is an enemy to the auto trans, I've read where running 10 degrees cooler will improve the life of the trans. I would not worry about adding a cooler hurting your warranty.

I run the B&M 70264, its a 1400 btu more cooling then the 70268 a lot are running. The install is SUPER EASY and can be done in under an hour. If you really wont try it after checking out these threads I suggest talking to a local shop to see what they would charge you if you supply the cooler.

check out this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/y...r-one-1032952/

or
Transmission Cooler Install - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners
Transmission Cooler - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners

get 2 3/8ths barbed connectors from plumbing department in home depot to use in place of the threaded ones if you get the B&M cooler

IMHO ANYONE with a JK and auto should be adding a cooler, why take the chance of your jeep burning to the ground?
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Another hint when going off-road, if you're going up a long hill and/or pulling a traier

Try to doit in 4lo, instead of 4hi, (off-road),it takes all the heat stress off the tranny at low speeds, mine went from 210 (4hi)and climbing--

To 170 and steady for the climb,. it was about 75 degrees outside and a 3 mile long hill !!

As a matter of fact, there are a number of jeepers who's jeeps have gone into "limp mode" while towing a trailer and they didn't have the aux cooler installed !!

This is a necessary evil, I'm afraid !!

Good luck

JIMBO

Tags
automatic transmission , cooler , JK Wrangler , towing , trans cooler , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.