Jeep buy back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep buy back

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
VaRaven
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jeep buy back

I just picked up my new jeep yesterday! Chrysler bought it back due to water leaks, It was in the shop 11 times for a total of 72 days.

Has anyone else had a hartop leaking problem?My dealer said this was uncommon in a hard top and that softtops were the ones that leaked.

VaRaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
rentalguy1

What kind of deal did you get on it? I have a soft top, and it doesn't leak...much...yet. I'm sure it will get worse with age, but that's just part of it. I would think that even a hard top would leak to some degree, but yours sounds like it may have been excessive. Then again, the owner could have just been a whiner. Hope it's fixed and it serves you well.
rentalguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
08rubinewb
2012 JK Wrangler 

My hardtop leaks up front. If there is a good amount fo rain it comes right in over the radio and pools under the e-brake. I've tried parking on different angles and also taking off and putting the top back on just to make sure it's correct. That being said it's never enough watere that it's really going to hurt anything. On a side note my soft top is 100% leak free so far .... go figure :-)
08rubinewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

2010 soft top here, no leaks (yet)... But, the way I figure it, the carpet comes out in 5 minutes and they put those pan plugs in there for a reason.

My previous jeep had just enough body to keep most of the mud off, so the fact I don't get wet in the Rubi when it rains is still sort of mystifying to me.
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Neither my hard nor soft top leak... guess I'm lucky.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

My soft top leaked when I first got it, but technically the leak was over the top front corner of the driver door so I don't know if that's really the top's fault. The dealer replaced the rubber seal under warranty the first time, but the second time wanted to charge me a fortune for it. I just bought some of that adhesive rubber stripping and filled the area in question. It's cheap enough that when I have to peel it off and discard it, I can apply more later.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
20181c
2009 JK Wrangler 

09 hard top no leaks.
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

2010 Hard top (freedomtop) No leaks. A little wind noise at highway speed but thats normal.

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iíve had no leaks so far and mines an '08.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
stuckmehere
2009 JK Wrangler 

09 Soft-top no leaks yet. Only had it up and down about three times. Rough winter.
stuckmehere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 dual top. I bought it new with 1.1 mile on it.

Both tops are leak free. I take the jeep through high pressure car washes. No leaks.

Although, there have been two times in the last two years where I had a little dribble in the center dash because the hard top leaked during massive rain storms with high winds. In my case I am sure that it was simply operator error and I just didn't install them correctly.

All things considered, mine have been problem free and fun for over (edit: 5) years. Knock on wood!!!
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

07 hard top, no leaks.
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
jd_goldcombat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine's weird. I follow the torque-down pattern in the manual...and I can go through a high-pressure car wash, sit out in torrential rains, and no leaks. Then...just a little sprinkle sprinkle...and I'll get some drips on the dash....even though the freedom tops never came off since the carwash or downpour.
Very strange.
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

My rear curtain looks like it's shrinking, really. looks too small now and is very difficult to zip/unzip, and the fit at the tailgate is poor. Been back once to dealer, didn't help.(big surprise)
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
VaRaven
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rentalguy1
If you spend 29000 -30000 on a jeep you dont expect it to leak. Yes you may get a drop or two on some rain storms. By=ut standing water in the floor is not good.
I wouls suggest you not talk **** if you dont know all the facts!
VaRaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.