JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Jeep back after accident: issues (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jeep-back-after-accident-issues-1522649/)

Apostle 05-13-2013 06:59 AM

Jeep back after accident: issues

2012 JKU Sport

First, steering vibrates at 65+ They gave me 2 new tires for the repair, and put one on the front, one as a spare. so rotated tires to back and put older up front. no change

they replaced the axle and most of the steering.

Suggestions?

second issue: the steering wheel. it seems like the shaft is bent, as i rotate it, it drops at 90 deg, appears the same either direction. dont remember if this is normal, but i dont think it is. Can someone check theirs quick?

It is going back to the shop, they missed some items

Apostle 05-13-2013 07:49 AM

Bump for view

Mol 05-13-2013 07:52 AM

You're talking about the intermediate shaft? Is it actually bent, or does the angle change at the u joint?

As far as the vibration...is it just in the steering wheel or can you feel it in your seat/shifter? Could be a driveline vibe...axle shafts, drive shafts, gears?

What was hit and what was the extent of the damage?

Apostle 05-13-2013 07:56 AM

They replaced the whole front axle. and my understanding the trac bar, drag link, tie rod.

vibration is in steering wheel, think maybe in shifter (not sure about seat).

hit a pole, front drivers side, sheered pole. pic on facebook

JTPhoto 05-13-2013 07:56 AM

Anything vibes and shakes speed related are 90% tire and/or wheel. It is possible that you have one or more bent/out of round wheels. Torque converter and driveline vibes tend to be more RPM based and will appear at the same RPM no matter what speed.
I was fortunate to have no issues with my Jeep after the accident, but I also have a good relationship with the dealer. I knew what had to be fixed and they obliged. I was also fortunate to get a used front diff that was in like new condition.

Apostle 05-13-2013 08:06 AM

What about the steering wheel? when you rotate it, does it drop down? or is it in the same position no matter which way you turn it?

Mol 05-13-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 15426335)
They replaced the whole front axle. and my understanding the trac bar, drag link, tie rod.

vibration is in steering wheel, think maybe in shifter (not sure about seat).

hit a pole, front drivers side, sheered pole. pic on facebook

Must have looked past it, I'll go check it out now.

Ask then to inspect the gear box, sector shaft, and pitman arm...unrelated I know, but when I was t boned, steering issues started working their way out after the repairs. Ended up with a broken sector shaft and upon further inspection, splines in the pitman arm were twisted. If your axle took a hard enough hit, something similar could have happened, especially given your concern for the condition of the intermediate shaft

Mol 05-13-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 15426371)
What about the steering wheel? when you rotate it, does it drop down? or is it in the same position no matter which way you turn it?

I guess I'm not understanding the question...does what drop down?

Apostle 05-13-2013 08:12 AM

the steering wheel. when i turn it, the steering wheel drops about 1/4-1/2 an inch, usually 90deg either way

Apostle 05-13-2013 08:13 AM

its subtle, the only reason i noticed it was because i was looking for issues

Mol 05-13-2013 08:25 AM

Yeah that's not normal at all...

Apostle 05-13-2013 08:27 AM

so the steering is fubar as well. theyre going to fix it, just want to make sure i find everything before i take it back

Mol 05-13-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 15426438)
so the steering is fubar as well. theyre going to fix it, just want to make sure i find everything before i take it back

Can't be certain, but sounds like somethings askew between the steering box and column

Apostle 05-13-2013 08:48 AM

but your 100% certain that yours does not drop? its like the shaft is warped

Mol 05-13-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 15426529)
but your 100% certain that yours does not drop? its like the shaft is warped

I'll go get in the jerp in about five minutes to verify, but yeah no steering wheel that I'm aware of moves while rotating.

Maybe a silly question, but is your tilt release fully locked?

The time now is 08:38 AM.