JCR Crusader Mid-Widwidth front Bumper Install with skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JCR Crusader Mid-Widwidth front Bumper Install with skid plate

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

JCR Crusader Mid-Widwidth front Bumper Install with skid plate

I looked around for a while at different front bumper options for a 2012 JK and decided to go with a JCR Offroad Crusader mid-width with Pre-Runner hoops and 1/2 sunk winch bumper. One of the main reasons I went with this bumper is I got to reuse the factory fog lamps (need them since the factory headlights suck so bad) and I didn't have to cut/modify the factory fog lamp wire harness. Here is my adventure - this is really my first big "bolt" on part and project - to date I have had lots of little easy stuff but this was a big project for me. I'll also note there are NO install destructions for this specific bumper from JCR so I am kinda flying blind - there are a few other install write-ups that I reviewed online for other bumpers but not this one.

A Big Brown truck dropped it off on my door step - Jason at Krawl Off-Road hooked me up with a deal and delivery (JCR had a sale).

Here it is unpacked with the optional 2012 vacuum pump relo kit

The welds are really nice and clean on the bumper and seams - I hardly had to do any clean up.

I considered rattle-can for a finish but John over at Dallas Custom Powder Coating did the whole bumper and skid plate in matte black for $140.00 +tax!

While the font bumper was off getting a nice powder coat I rattled canned the vacuum pump relocation kit and bumper bracket with some etching primer and flat-black finish.

Picked up the finished powder-coated bumper (had to remove the jump seat from the Jeep - don't think it will ever get put back in)

Unloaded and inspected the coating job - top notch - high quality coating is all I can say! WOW!

Here is detail on the inside - they made sure they didn't coat the threads for the mounting!! (when I was cleaning up the bumper before I took it over to get it coated a bolt from the driver side fog light mount just fell out - bad weld on the bolt head it would seem - I know I raved about the welds before - they look great but the bolts look like they were just spot/tacked welded and this fog light bolt just fell out)

Here is the detail on the passenger side - very clean! (aside from the dust on the bumper in the photo)

Here is the factory POS bumper (there is no way this would have held up with a heavy hit on a trail)

First thing I did was remove the factory front air-dam - those plastic screws in those plastic mounts should be outlawed!! There is NO way they would ever un-screw - I tried - ended up prying them out/off with a flat-head driver - problem solved!! (screws noted in the red annotations)

Don't forget the two plastic screws on the front cross-member facing rear - they also had to be pried off.

Her is a detail shot of the one of the front cross-member plastic screws - did I tell you how much I dislike those #$%@#$% things!

Front air dam removed!!

Next I attacked the outside bumper nuts (not those bolt heads - they hold the plastic outer casing to the bumper - no need to remove those - besides the fog lamps are screwed into that plastic shell) here is the driver side outer two nuts ready to be worked on with an 18mm socket.

The outside bumper nuts are easy to remove on each side - I used a 1/2" drive and a 18mm socket to get them lose and then a cordless impact wrench.

Next I unhooked the factory fog lights - push in the little clip noted in the arrow and it unplugs from the lamp assembly

Here is the fog light unplugged - this is from the driver side - note the vacuum pump in the fore ground (sorry for the soft photo of the lamp assembly)

You can get at the other inside bumper nuts from under the jeep (I didn't jack mine up) - that is all but the top one on the drivers side - you will have to remove the plastic top cover and then use your socket wrench with a deep socket or short extension to get at that last nut by the vacuum pump

At last the stock front bumper is removed - note there is a fog-light harness tie-wrapped to plastic holders on the front bumper - I snipped those off to remove the bumper - cut just the tie-wrap not the plastic harness or the wires!!! - you can see the harness hanging by the front cross member.

Next I marked each fog-lamp with a sharpie noted the up position and P or D (passenger/driver side)

I use a square-bit to remove the factory fog light assembly from the stock front bumper - screws in plastic - they came off real easy!

Here are the two factory fog lamps removed to be re-used in the new bumper.

Next I inspected the factory vacuum pump here is the factory mount

Just a quick shot of the factory electronic sway-bar disconnect - this is part of what you get with a Rubicon badged Jeep - looks a little "exposed" but I think the JCR skid will cover that.

Test fit the factory fog lamp assembly on the JCR bumper - the mounting holes have to be drilled out.

I tried to drill out the lamp assembly with a 1/4" bit - but that is to small - from my research online I think I need a 5/16" bit - which of course I DON'T have (heavy sigh!!) and it is Sunday night - nothing is open so looks like I'll have to finish this up Monday night after work.

This is as far as I got with the install on a Sunday afternoon - the total time it took me from when I pulled the jeep into the garage until I was ready to re-mount the factory fog lamps was about 2hrs. Mind you this is my first install so all in all I didn't think it took that long to get to this point. Stay tuned I'll post the results when I finish up.

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great write-up and nice pictures. The bumper looks good.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

eh everything should line up. Goes to show that even USA made products arent perfect.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Bosun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good write up and pictures. This bumper is on my short list pending more research and money! Looking forward to the rest if the install. Real interested in the pump relocation procedures.
1978 CJ5, Yellow
Bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
brady1929

good info here
brady1929 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

So the bolts that JCR installs in their bumper to retain the factory fog lights do not fit in the factory fog light housing...and this was discovered after one of said bolts up and "fell out"?

I'd be more than a little annoyed...hell even PSCrap got the fog lights right...
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
4DFUN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmos View Post
I looked around for a while at different front bumper options for a 2012 JK and decided to go with a JCR Offroad Crusader mid-width with Pre-Runner hoops and 1/2 sunk winch bumper.
Great install, I'll be waiting for the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
So the bolts that JCR installs in their bumper to retain the factory fog lights do not fit in the factory fog light housing...and this was discovered after one of said bolts up and "fell out"?

I'd be more than a little annoyed...hell even PSCrap got the fog lights right...
Why did you call PSC Crap?, Are they not a good company?
4DFUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DFUN View Post
Are they not a good company?
For the cost, no. They're highly overrated in my personal opinion. I have had problems with cracked welds and bent gussets on their bumper, amongst a few other things.

I gave up on them entirely when they sold me a skid plate for my brawler lite that had been mis-drilled, returned by the original purchaser, and then resold to me, when they were well aware that it would not fit without extensive modification.
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post

JCR just uses a larger bolt. All you have to do is drill out the existing holes in the plastic housing. Simple 2 minute job.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420
Simple 2 minute job.
Until you have to grind away the pretty powder coat you just paid $140 for, so you can re-weld the larger bolt.

But yeah, I get it now
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
monkeyevil
Vendor

First thanks for the great write-up and kind words.

Second a tip for those annoying @$$ plastic screw rivets; if you can get to the backside of them, pinch the expansion part with two fingers while you remove the screw portion... as long as you can reach em it works every time.

As far as the tack on that light bucket bolt getting missed I certainly apologize for it. I think you may have chatted with one of us about it via e-mail, but again we'll do whatever it takes to make it right. If your good with making it work as-is (since you have it all coated and close to mounting) have Jason let me know it's for you on your next order and I'll be sure to take care of him and you. If you don't have anything else in mind from us, just PM me and we'll figure it out I can't promise we never miss things, but we do try our best make everyone happy in the end.

As far as our reasoning for using a bolt size that requires you to drill out the factory lights, since the studs are permanently welded to the bumper (well most of them are...) we upsized them to handle a lifetime of corrosion, assembly and removal, and the occasional stick that jams it's way into the most hard to imagine place on our rigs.

~Daryl
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Great response.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

This is the rest of the JCR bumper install - I didn't get to the skid plate tonight so I'll post that later - besides I have to mount a winch and the skid plate would have to be removed anyway to get at it. Turns out removing the factory vacuum pump bracket was a bit of a challenge for me - I was thinking you could just cut the arms off it and get on the with the bumper install - I was incorrect in that line of thinking... I was driving blind (this is what makes it fun right?) - I could only find 1 web reference to the vacuum pump relocation kit from JCR - I tried to call them today (Monday) nobody was there and I left a message. Here is the rest of the install.

Remove the factory vacuum pump with a 10mm socket:

The other nut was tight and I didn't want to mar up my front grille so I resulted to a wrench

Pump slides right off easy peasy like - I didn't disconnect anything

Next I removed the little metal sleeve from the grommet on the pump (turns out the nuts and bolts JCR sent me wouldn't fit inside the sleeve

As you can see the include pump bolts wouldn't fit in the sleeve

So then I tired to use the bolts they sent without the sleeve and tried to mount the pump to the bracket for a "test fit" They just were not long enough.

I even tried compressing the grommet to get the nut and washers on....

After much fumbling around I got them on compressing the grommet with some vise-grips (this can't be right) - I wasn't happy with this and ultimately I ran to auto-zone later on for some M6-10 X 35mm bolts and nuts (10mm).

Now I had the pump mounted in the relocation bracket (temp) and I wanted to see how much of the factory bracket I had to hack off.
(I test fitted the bumper at this point as well - there was NO way it was going on with the factory bracket and bolts) (you can also see the JCR pocket nut holder sticking up)

I wasn't really chomping at the bit to hack up my 2012 Rubicon so I focused on mounting the factory fog lamps - as noted before you have
to enlarge the mounting holes with something bigger than 1/4" - I used the bolt that fell out to test fit the hole I enlarged on the lamp housings
here is the bolt

With the holes the right size I use a bit of tape to temp hold the bolt in the bumper while I mounted the factory fog lamps.

I was very carful not to over tighten the nuts on the factory lamp housings - I didn't want to crack them

There was no way I was getting a wrench in there to hold the bolt that fell out - besides it had a glob of weld on it and it wouldn't fit anyway. I held the bolt in place with a driver - this worked well and the bolt head locked down.

Took a break (this is when I ran to auto zone for the longer pump bolts and nuts). Here is the pump mounted to the bracket with the longer bolts

I realized I would have to start hacking on the factory pump bracket so I got the trusty old sawzall out with a fresh metal blade and went to work on the bracket...

Took a little work but I got both sides off and test fitted the pump and bracket - I had to do more filling and hack-sawing to get both arms off but there was still a little lip at the top that was not letting the bracket fit flush to the frame. (see the arrow)

Ground some more off it and primed and painted it up.

Let the rattle can primer set and dry and wanted to see how the pocket nut fit with the bracket

Here is another angle you can see the pocket nut holder inserted just above my hack job on the factory pump bracket

Continues..... I can only post 35 Images per admin rules.....
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here is the final steps of the install - (really turned out great I think)

So it turns out that extra pump bracket that was welded over the frame pocket had to be removed -there was NO way the include bolts
which were 3/4" would thread up going through the relo bracket and the factory pump bracket - I even ran to Lowes to get long 1" bolts which were to long and would bind into the frame - I needed a cutting angle grinder or something..... then it hit me - I had a roto-zip in storage so I ran and got that and got to work surgically removing the rest of the factory pump bracket with a metal cut-off tool - the roto-zip cut the bracket like butter....

Here is a shot of most ALL the factory bracket removed (that roto-zip is way slick had never used it before to cut metal but it sure worked well!!)

Primer'd and painted the frame pocket again where I removed the factory bracket with the roto-zip tool

Now the pump relocation bracket fit well and bolted up very nice too the pocket bracket and nuts.

Mounted the pump with the longer bolts I had to get from auto-zone

Didn't want to forget about the passenger side pocket nut that just dropped right in no problems.

Went to work on the mounting the bumper - this took me a LONG time the bolts wouldn't line up - I had to enlarge the factory holes
a tad with 1/2" bit - this took me about an hour and many test fits - I really didn't want to hammer on the bumper and risk damage to the threads on the bumper bolts - I finally got them seated and had to use a little force to get them in - I just put my weight into it I did NOT hammer anything.
(in between I primer'd the holes to stop rust)

Here is the passenger side all lined up ready for washers and nuts

Here is a shot from below you can see the bolts and factory fog lamps and the bumper was tight up against the frame mounts

AT LAST!!! here is the first look of it mounted

One thing - don't forget about the passenger side pocket nut and bolt

Some left over bits from the factory pump bracket.

Here is a finished shot - I really like the looks of this mid-width!

Hooked the fog lights back up and made sure they were in alignment - they all looked good so I didn't have to adjust anything

Here is another shot with head lights (as crappy as they are) on

In summary I am really happy with looks and features this JCR mid-width Crusader bumper has - and I am really happy with my purchase - the winch looks like it will be real easy to mount with the included mounting holes - that will be my next project and then I'll mount the skid plate.
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #15
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

looks great!! nice write up, thanks for sharing. JCR, you guys make great stuff, that everyday ppl can afford, and yes there are bound to be some minor issues here and there, but you stepped up instead of making excuses and offered to do what was needed to make the customer happy. Great job
2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.