Issues mounting ACE stubby bumper on 2008 JKUR - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Issues mounting ACE stubby bumper on 2008 JKUR

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

Issues mounting ACE stubby bumper on 2008 JKUR

So I just got my ACE stubby bumper with bull bar. Went on easy, had to trim the "crash bar" at the frame rails, but that was it. One issue, I can't get 2 of the bolts(inside ones closest to the fog lights on the passenger side) because the sway bar auto disco motor is in the way? anyone have any suggestions?

xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yup they are a nightmare to get your hand and some type of tool on it to hold nut while someone else tightens.

If they still supply lock washer you can try using a good impact gun that may tighten them up to the point interior nut doesnt spin.

I did mine manually with a buddy, wasnt easy in fact my hand got stuck and had to relax a while to get it out. Think i used a open end wrench on one and socket universal extension on the other to hold the nuts.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

marmo, do you have a rubicon?
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
TSOffroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraypat23 View Post
So I just got my ACE stubby bumper with bull bar. Went on easy, had to trim the "crash bar" at the frame rails, but that was it. One issue, I can't get 2 of the bolts(inside ones closest to the fog lights on the passenger side) because the sway bar auto disco motor is in the way? anyone have any suggestions?
Is their bolt "captured"...meaning, is the bolt through the mounting hole and you can't reach it for a nut, or you can't get the bolt through the frame mounting holes ? Sorry..not familiar with how theirs is mounted....
TSOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

nope, it mounts the front frame horns. I'm probably going to remove the "compatibility bar" that cheap *** piece of metal that goes between the 2 frame rails, that will give me a little more room.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
TSOffroad

Ok...just looked on their site to see the bumper.

This is similar to one of ours I installed on a rubi. If I recall, I used a long 6" or 12" extention, don't recall with the nut inside the socket. If you find yourself loosing the nut before you get to the bolt, put a little axle grease (thick stuff) inside the socket and then put the nut in. It will hold the nut long enough to get it to the bolt. If your simply having trouble getting the bolt in through the frame hole at all....I suggest putting those two in first loose and then the others. Sometimes, even though everything is usually plasma or laser cut, the welding process moves things ever so slightly...

Another option is to remove the two bolts on each side holding the sway bar. This will allow the motor assembly to drop slightly enough to get it out of the way. Hope that helps !
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the tips TS! It's a little bit of a dilemma, the bolts slide in fine from the front, but i can't access the back of it. I'm going to cut out the compatibility bar, that should get me a little space, but honestly the housing for the sway bar disco sits right on the inside of the bumper(acts as a skid) going to be a pain, but i'm sure i'll get it eventually
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
TSOffroad

Quote:
thanks for the tips TS! It's a little bit of a dilemma, the bolts slide in fine from the front, but i can't access the back of it. I'm going to cut out the compatibility bar, that should get me a little space, but honestly the housing for the sway bar disco sits right on the inside of the bumper(acts as a skid) going to be a pain, but i'm sure i'll get it eventually
I would also suggest a "wobble" socket or extention. This allows the socket to still set even if off center. Good luck on the install sir.
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks kinda funny even thou it's on there tight as hell. Getting my ace fenders tmrw. Gonna give it another shot
image-2538522748.jpg  
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes mines a Rubi with electro disco motor, i didnt cut anything out. I do have small hands and forearms though. A bigger guy i could see it being nearly impossible to get hands in there.

Use extensions and universal ( wobble, lol) with grease inside the socket, get nut started on bolt then try using a good impact gun. Lock washer should lock in the nut to allow impact to tighten
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Cosmobull
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the ACE rock rails and love em. How much for the bumper??
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
aftahour
2011 JK Wrangler 

thnx for the tip. my bumper is coming tomorrow.
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've had the same issue each of the three times that I've installed (and re-installed my Rugged Ridge bumper. I decided next time I take it off I'm going to have someone tack-weld the bolts to the back of the frame so I don't have to bother with getting back there ever again.

The trick I found was using a 3" extension, a wobble joint, then a 6" extension, another wobble joint, and then my ratchet. I also had to make sure it was a deep socket that I was using to hold the nut.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

aftahour, you're gonna have to cut the compatibility bar, at least the ends of it flush with the frame rails, i'm most likely going to remove the bumper, completely remove the compatibility bar to give me a little extra wiggle room. As long as you don't have a rubicon the install should go fairly smoothly
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
aftahour
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys just put it on my 11 jku. No trimming anything. Only issue one bolt didn't line up. Had to drill grind the crash bar little bit. Then impact the hell out of all the bolts thnx for the tips guys. Ps small hands long ext. impact and drill. Helps
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.