Issue starting Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Issue starting Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Issue starting Jeep

Hi Guys,

So I have a 2008 Jeep wrangler Sahara and I am having problems starting it. It started a couple months ago when I left the lights on and the battery drained. I got it boosted and everything was fine. A couple weeks later the Jeep was having trouble starting and needed a boost from time to time. I was told to turn my lights on and then start the Jeep and it worked without a boost. A couple weeks after that this trick did not work so I figured it was the battery. I replaced the battery and everything was fine...for about a month, then just yesterday it has trouble starting and when I use turn on my lights then start it, it works. I did not leave anything turned on for the battery to drain. Also, it doesn't always happen just from time to time. Once yesterday and once today. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

f1rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
DILIGAF
2011 JK Wrangler 

Clean the throttle body bet there is a lot of black stuff in there and run a can of seafoam through the tank.
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. Do you know any good write ups on it? Where exactly would I run the can of seafoam through? Thanks!
Unread 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was looking through throttle body forums and I see alot of people saying that the newer jeeps shouldn't need to have this done. Also if I boost the jeep it works so how would that require a TB cleaning. Thanks in advance
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
grim-reaper
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an 08 and have a similar problem which is getting worse (couldn't replicate it when it was at the dealer for service, now that warranty is over it's more common). I think it's a defective Transmission Position Sensor? Anyway, while the key is off shift it into Reverse or Neutral and then back into Park and it will start everytime. Let me know if that cures the problem.
grim-reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
chieferz
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had/have a similar problem as well with my 08 Rubi. Same as what grimm-reaper said, just move your shifter, what I have to do is push it forward a little more and that always works. I would guess that somehow somewhere the neutral safety start switch linkage is slightly out of adjustment. I haven't looked closely at mine yet, cause it rarely happens, and when it does I just push the shifter forward and she cranks right over. Hope that helps
chieferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Put an multimeter on your battery and check the voltage. Watch the voltage as you start it. If it drops too low you know it's your batter. What kind of battery did you put in it?

Turning the lights on doesn't make any sense. I don't have any idea why that variable would correct the problem. It should make it worse sense it is putting a larger load on the battery.

You HAVE to eliminate the battery as the problem before you go chasing more obscure less likely problems.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
motor_car
2010 JK Wrangler 

Uh, yeah, died-in-the-wool car buffs and absolutely all British car afficionados swear that turning on the headlamps helps. The explanation is that the thin positive wire, not the fat one that runs to the starter motor, the thinner wire that powers everything else oxidizes in the crimp terminal. When the vehicle sits, the oxidation creates a high resistance from the battery to the electrics and that prevents the starter relay to close to actuate the starter solenoid, etc, etc.
If you turn on the headlamps, that puts a load on the circuit, the oxidized terminal and wire heat up and burn off the oxidation and then the starter relay gets enough juice.
I am sure Adam Savage, Jamie Hyneman would give this a "plausible"
motor_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
blackpaw

Charge the battery with a battery charger overnight. The vehicle will start very well the following day.
blackpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
WXman
2001 WJ 

You need to regear. Just ask JIMBOX.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

First thing I would is walk out, open the hood and put a meter on the positive side of the battery and see if you have a vampire draw somewhere. It's either that or the new battery you bought is cheap/defective.

You're losing amperage somewhere.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
DidioJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just re-geared and now mine is doing the same thing.
DidioJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
mikejku

Need specifics. When this problem occurs, does the engine turn but not start? If not, when you turn the key, is there an audible clicking noise? Or does it do absolutely nothing at all?
mikejku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #15
f1rocco
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry I didn't reply because I was not having the issue any more...until now. So I decided to move the shifter into neutral and it starts everytime. Thanks for the tip. Now next step is to fix it...

Mikejku not sure if you will get this 2 months later but the engine does turn but does not start and when I turn the key there is an audible clicking sound.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.