Intermittent rough idle after mudding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittent rough idle after mudding

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Intermittent rough idle after mudding

When sitting at idle, I've noticed it will start to get rough for a min or two, and then resume back to normal for five or so mins. About a 200 rpm rise when this happens. I don't know if it's necessarily related to mudding, but my engine bay, under the jeep, etc has been pretty dirty lately. Things to check for? I have 1400 miles on the clock

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check your oil filter for dirty/muddyness. If you're worried it couldn't hurt to drop the oil out and see if it's milky. Then if it is, I believe it would be best to flush some through a couple times. I'm sure others will chip in though!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is your engine bay muddy too?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

yes, the engine bay is quite muddy. looks like nothing but steam got to the air intake, but you never know. didnt go through anything deep at all, but it still went everywhere lol. another question: i plan on hosing my jeep off, including the engine bay, this weekend. anything i need to cover besides the air intake?

ill check my oil filter now, thanks, alberta!
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd open up the air box, see if the filter is wet, or if it has some mud on it, causing some restriction.

I never cover anything when I pressure wash my engine, but I don't blast the air intake either. Spraying off the engine then spraying it with Simple Green and letting that sit for about 10 minutes then pressure washing it again does wonders.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

awesome, my shop has tons of simple green lying around. really appreciate the info
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitsleazy View Post
awesome, my shop has tons of simple green lying around. really appreciate the info
The engine being slightly warm seems to help a bit too.

Unread 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sweet. It's not the air filter, I was told that it could be the throttle. Hopefully not
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

your oxygen sensors have mud plugging them. they require outside air to get a proper readings and have a hole where the wires go into them.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
your oxygen sensors have mud plugging them. they require outside air to get a proper readings and have a hole where the wires go into them.
Ummm, what?! O2 sensors monitor the exhaust gasses, not "outside air."
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the oxygen sensor is basically a galvanic battery. it generates a voltage signal (0-1 volt) based on the differential between the oxgen content of the exhaust gas, and the oxygen content of the ambiant air, when the sensor is hot itself. this is why they have internal heaters to get them up to temp to work properly quicker from a cold start up.

if the outside air port it plugged then it wont work properly and the idle will be the thing that is most noticable.

many years ago I was looking into installing a ford fuel injection into my 73 torino with a 351C. this was long before anybody made a drop in kit that are offered today. Back then you had to actually do some research to do things. not have a forum to go to and have a question answered by a bunch of smart asses that don't know how a fuel injection system really works. if you take offense to this, then tuff.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Will do some research on that, find the locations and clean em. Got to my air box and checked the filter- hardly any mud on it. Cleaned the bottom out but that didnt help with the problem. O2 sensors are next to check
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
the oxygen sensor is basically a galvanic battery. it generates a voltage signal (0-1 volt) based on the differential between the oxgen content of the exhaust gas, and the oxygen content of the ambiant air, when the sensor is hot itself. this is why they have internal heaters to get them up to temp to work properly quicker from a cold start up.

if the outside air port it plugged then it wont work properly and the idle will be the thing that is most noticable.

many years ago I was looking into installing a ford fuel injection into my 73 torino with a 351C. this was long before anybody made a drop in kit that are offered today. Back then you had to actually do some research to do things. not have a forum to go to and have a question answered by a bunch of smart asses that don't know how a fuel injection system really works. if you take offense to this, then tuff.

Sorry John, my buddy was surfing my account. Don't know if he was trolling or not because he should know better... I know I do! No butt-hurt here, just need to log off my account I guess...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.