Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Intermittent rough idle after mudding

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Neo1130 
#1 ·
When sitting at idle, I've noticed it will start to get rough for a min or two, and then resume back to normal for five or so mins. About a 200 rpm rise when this happens. I don't know if it's necessarily related to mudding, but my engine bay, under the jeep, etc has been pretty dirty lately. Things to check for? I have 1400 miles on the clock

#3 ·
Is your engine bay muddy too?

#4 ·
yes, the engine bay is quite muddy. looks like nothing but steam got to the air intake, but you never know. didnt go through anything deep at all, but it still went everywhere lol. another question: i plan on hosing my jeep off, including the engine bay, this weekend. anything i need to cover besides the air intake?

ill check my oil filter now, thanks, alberta!

#5 ·
I'd open up the air box, see if the filter is wet, or if it has some mud on it, causing some restriction.

I never cover anything when I pressure wash my engine, but I don't blast the air intake either. Spraying off the engine then spraying it with Simple Green and letting that sit for about 10 minutes then pressure washing it again does wonders.

#7 ·
The engine being slightly warm seems to help a bit too.

#9 ·
your oxygen sensors have mud plugging them. they require outside air to get a proper readings and have a hole where the wires go into them.

#11 ·
the oxygen sensor is basically a galvanic battery. it generates a voltage signal (0-1 volt) based on the differential between the oxgen content of the exhaust gas, and the oxygen content of the ambiant air, when the sensor is hot itself. this is why they have internal heaters to get them up to temp to work properly quicker from a cold start up.

if the outside air port it plugged then it wont work properly and the idle will be the thing that is most noticable.

many years ago I was looking into installing a ford fuel injection into my 73 torino with a 351C. this was long before anybody made a drop in kit that are offered today. Back then you had to actually do some research to do things. not have a forum to go to and have a question answered by a bunch of smart ***** that don't know how a fuel injection system really works. if you take offense to this, then tuff.

#13 ·
the oxygen sensor is basically a galvanic battery. it generates a voltage signal (0-1 volt) based on the differential between the oxgen content of the exhaust gas, and the oxygen content of the ambiant air, when the sensor is hot itself. this is why they have internal heaters to get them up to temp to work properly quicker from a cold start up.

if the outside air port it plugged then it wont work properly and the idle will be the thing that is most noticable.

many years ago I was looking into installing a ford fuel injection into my 73 torino with a 351C. this was long before anybody made a drop in kit that are offered today. Back then you had to actually do some research to do things. not have a forum to go to and have a question answered by a bunch of smart ***** that don't know how a fuel injection system really works. if you take offense to this, then tuff.
Sorry John, my buddy was surfing my account. Don't know if he was trolling or not because he should know better... I know I do! :cheers: No butt-hurt here, just need to log off my account I guess...

#12 ·
Will do some research on that, find the locations and clean em. Got to my air box and checked the filter- hardly any mud on it. Cleaned the bottom out but that didnt help with the problem. O2 sensors are next to check

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.