Interior Water Question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Interior Water Question!

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
JordanTheJew
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum as I am a new Jeep owner. I bought a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited a few weeks ago and today I brought it to my summer home to take the hard top off. We planned on putting the soft top on but the dealership didn't give us all of the parts for it so I now have to drive back home to the dealership so they can put it on for me. The only problem is that it is likely I will hit thunderstorms on the way home. If it happens to start down pouring on my head with no top on it, will the inside of my jeep be okay?

JordanTheJew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Wheelz

Yes definitely. My roof was down and my doors were off yesterday while i was stuck in the rain on a boat. Let it somewhat dry out overnight and just had a damp seat in the morning. I put the top and doors back on now, so the only lasting drawback is a musty odor until it airs out completely.
Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I would consider at least driving with the front panel portions of the freedom top on. I've done this before and they do a surprisingly good job of deflecting rain esp at higher speeds. This will keep the front (and you) dry.

I've used just those and at highway speeds the back passengers stayed mostly dry too.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't let water collect in the steering column or on your electronics and it does fine. I had my 13 jkur with 2000 miles on it get poured on for a day with no top. My cup holders were completely full of water. It has 16000 on it now and no problems.

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I would consider at least driving with the front panel portions of the freedom top on. I've done this before and they do a surprisingly good job of deflecting rain esp at higher speeds. This will keep the front (and you) dry.

I've used just those and at highway speeds the back passengers stayed mostly dry too.
If he don't have the freedom panels, I run this way most the time just the panels, makes the best bikini top ever. I would use a large plastic bag over the steering wheel. I carry bags in case. Even with just a bikini top or freedom top hard bikini. it can get real wet in there doorless. you do not want to get the clock spring wet if you can avoid it.
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
JordanTheJew
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew

That's actually a really good idea! I didn't think of that. The only problem is that we've already put the soft top plastic door pieces that go on top on and screwed them in so I'm not sure that the freedom panels would fit.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

How long does it take you to remove them? I think I'd invest the 2 minutes.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheJew View Post
That's actually a really good idea! I didn't think of that. The only problem is that we've already put the soft top plastic door pieces that go on top on and screwed them in so I'm not sure that the freedom panels would fit.
Oh you've put those removable pieces in? Wow you're screwed.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
JordanTheJew
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
How long does it take you to remove them? I think I'd invest the 2 minutes.
I guess you're right haha :P I'm really busy right now but I suppose it would be worth it for a few minutes to remove them
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at a new JKU Rubicon that had the Freedom top left off and it rained cats and dogs. That thing was soaked when I looked at it Sunday. Bet someone at the dealership got a butt chewing. Think there's any permanent damage, especially to nav? I don't care about the carpet. Seats were leather trimmed so don't know about them. Got call in to dealer now.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post
I'm looking at a new JKU Rubicon that had the Freedom top left off and it rained cats and dogs. That thing was soaked when I looked at it Sunday. Bet someone at the dealership got a butt chewing. Think there's any permanent damage, especially to nav? I don't care about the carpet. Seats were leather trimmed so don't know about them. Got call in to dealer now.
Before you start that Jeep up and give it a test drive the one thing you're going to want to do is softly rub the steering wheel and just whisper...."are you okay?".

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Before you start that Jeep up and give it a test drive the one thing you're going to want to do is softly rub the steering wheel and just whisper...."are you okay?".
Do you rub on top or down below, lol!

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't listen to me though, I don't have a JK anymore. (Hopefully in a couple more years I'll be able to rectify that mistake).

Seriously though, I think for what you are doing putting the front panels on would be worth any effort it takes to pull anything else off.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.