Insulate Floor of JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Insulate Floor of JK

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Insulate Floor of JK

When driving on the highway the floorboard didn’t get too hot; but when driving off road it got very warm, so I decided to insulate the floor of my JK.

I used 4 rolls of Thermo-Tec #14620 which is 60 square feet of material to insulate the floor of my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. This material appears to have very good specifications when compared to similar products.

Last year I insulated the inside of the hard top. Here is that write-up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...ardtop-809376/

Take the recovery gear, seats & carpet out of Jeep. Then clean the metal from all mud & stuff.

I measured then cut the insulation into small pieces for easy installation. I used small pieces about 6” & 12”. The stuff is easy to cut w/ razor blade tool. Then peal the backing on and stick it on the metal surface.

Then use a roller to smash the insulation onto the metal. Then cut out the seat & other holes in the insulation.

Then put the carpet back in. Notice the slight ridge in middle picture; that is where the front drive shaft broke and banged against the floor of the Jeep; but that is another story.

Total cost $200.00. I got this from Auto Barn. I don’t work for, nor get any remuneration from, Auto Barn or Thermo-Tec.

I tested this 3 weeks ago in Death Valley (only 92F – so not that good of a test); but it really helped keep the heat on the feet down to a manageable level.

An added bonus is that the Jeep is now very quiet, I can even hear the stock stereo while on the highway; even over the whine of the tires.

Unread 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

nice job. how long did it take you?

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

All together: tearing everything out, cleaning, installation of insulation & reinstalling everything, 20 hours.
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

cool little project
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you remember, report back this summer when the temp is around 110 degrees. Maybe Iíll do something similar like yours.
Nice right up too.
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

I love what you did and it looks great, but I never have any carpet in my Jeep, so it would end up looking like the inside of a space ship if I did that.
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

How much did it cut down on the road noise? Humming tires?
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think you may need to go back and cut holes over the floor drains. Just in case you need them in the future. Nice job there!

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very cool!

I am looking at doing not only the floor but the Inside of the Hard Top too... Last summer when it hit 117 It felt like I was riding in a Microwave oven even with the A/C on Full blast.

Love my Black Jeep but wow it gets toasty. I was even considering buying a Roof rack and painting the floor of the basket Silver. I'll Just leave it on all summer.
Unread 05-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Russrover
2007 JK Wrangler 

Clean install OP. Very nicely done.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #586
Russrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the positive comments. I know a lot of Jeep folks take the doors & roof off to go wheeling. I wheel mostly in the deserts of the southwest and I like the doors & roof on with A/C running. Last year I did the insulated the roof and that helped a lot. Now, I'm hoping this floor insulation will continue to improve my wheeling comfort.

... I thought about cutting out around the drain holes; but in the 2 years I've had this beast, I haven't needed to drain the water out.

... Between the insulation on the roof and the floor, it is surprisingly quiet in my Jeep.

... "cool" ha ha - I hope so.
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

That is a really good looking job, but

I live in the desert to and I've done my entire top with Acoustic-Thermal insulation, but

The instructions were to make sure the foil side, is on the heat generating surface--so it helps reflect the heat, so mines against the inside of the top--

My JK is very comfy at 115 deg in the Nevada desert and I guess any insulation you add to the insides of these bricks---Helps !!!

good job

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
That is a really good looking job, but

I live in the desert to and I've done my entire top with Acoustic-Thermal insulation, but

The instructions were to make sure the foil side, is on the heat generating surface--so it helps reflect the heat, so mines against the inside of the top--

My JK is very comfy at 115 deg in the Nevada desert and I guess any insulation you add to the insides of these bricks---Helps !!!

good job

JIMBO
So, did you glue the foil side to the inside of the top?
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

When you did your "new headliner" did you wipe down the surface with brakeclean or rough it up ........ or just cleaned it well ? Is it still completely intact after the year ? I am thinking of getting insulation in there for the -40 days LOL ! And am wondering about the longevity of the adhesive , if it stays stuck in your heat it should stay stuck in our cold ..........Thanks
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
When you did your "new headliner" did you wipe down the surface with brakeclean or rough it up ........ or just cleaned it well ? Is it still completely intact after the year ? I am thinking of getting insulation in there for the -40 days LOL ! And am wondering about the longevity of the adhesive , if it stays stuck in your heat it should stay stuck in our cold ..........Thanks
I actually had some mud and stuff on the inside of the roof. I just cleaned it really well with just soap and water. I used quite a bit of the headliner glue installing the headliner. It's still stuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.