Installing rocker switch.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing rocker switch....

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #16
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
Kill switch won't matter. The boot turns the daystar switches to the OFF position, not ON. So if the kill switch is not engaged, and you want your lights on..... the boot will keep turning them off.

(Unless I'm misunderstanding)
No, I read your comment as 3rd gear turned them on... not off. Meaning that for the highway stuff (which is where this'll be used 90% of the time), it shouldn't be an issue (as I'd normally be in 4th/5th). A kill switch should always be off...

However I'll have to think about this. Why can't someone make a top panel like 12voltguy.com that doesn't cost $400? Something like the daystar but for the upper dash? In fact I could care less where it goes... I don't need all that extra ****, I just want a nice clean panel somewhere to mount some rocker switches...

GE2, not detract from your very clean setup, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for... I like the stuff out there... just not the price tag that goes with it...

riptide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Grimscale
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
Why can't someone make a top panel
Why not just put the Daystar panel above the mirror like I did (and the guy whose pic I borrowed til I find my camera).

Grimscale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Bingo! That is a great option! ^^^^^^
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Can you not utilize the blanks on the panel where the haz lights are located? I was going to add some dash mount lights, and thought about trying to use those locs. Anyone done this?

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
beamme84
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
Can you not utilize the blanks on the panel where the haz lights are located? I was going to add some dash mount lights, and thought about trying to use those locs. Anyone done this?
those blanks are fixed plastic covers. you need this rocker switch Parts-Express.com:SPST Automotive Round Rocker Switch w/Blue LED 12V | automotive rocker switch with led rocker switch with led large rocker switch car switch 12 vdc rocker switch dc rocker switch accessory switch illuminated automotive rocker switc. drill/dremel a hole and pop the switch in there. At the back of the panel is a circuit board that runs the entire length of the panel; don't mess with it. i drilled a small hole on the side (or top/bottom) of the panel, just far enough in front of the circuit board to clear it and routed cable through and soldered it to the rocker switch.
beamme84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
Why not just put the Daystar panel above the mirror like I did (and the guy whose pic I borrowed til I find my camera).

WOW that never occurred to me. The $20 solution to 12voltguy & Spod-guys very nice switch boxes (and unfortunately $400 price tag).

Now more questions about that. How'd you mount that? You do a write up on it? Depending on things, I might even get 2 daystar panels to stuff up there (don't need that many switches... yet)...
Unread 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
Menard666

More pics of the Daystar panel in an automatic.

Menard666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another switch mount option - Above rear view mirror - JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board

This is the write up Grimscale used to mount his switches.
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's less flashy, but I used the Cooltech switch mount specifically because it fit in the same place as the Daystar but worked with the manual boot.

Nice thing was that I was able to mount a junction box on the back side of the plate, and then run a single ground and power line for all the switches.

JK SwitchMount w/LED Tip Switches

So far using four of the five switches with one ready to go when I get the rock lights installed.
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post

I feel kinda dirty and oppressed after clicking into that place
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #26
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
It's less flashy, but I used the Cooltech switch mount specifically because it fit in the same place as the Daystar but worked with the manual boot.

Nice thing was that I was able to mount a junction box on the back side of the plate, and then run a single ground and power line for all the switches.

JK SwitchMount w/LED Tip Switches

So far using four of the five switches with one ready to go when I get the rock lights installed.
I've seen these... and while I'm not set on having to have rocker switches (I've seen other configurations I like), I just don't like how this looks... sorry...
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #27
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
Great idea. Thatís exactly what I did on my TJís, only I made my own box from radio shack. The JKís didnít exist yet, hence no daystar switch panels. I like them up there way better than hacking into the dash. Itís a little more work but the benefits are worth it to me.
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #28
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

I picked up a trailer break light holder for $5.00 yesterday... Its a fairly heavy plastic that should let me mount a bunch of smaller switches... I'm almost tempted to try and make my own dash top switch panel (like what 12voltguy did). Then if I mess it up, I can just buy the daystar dashtop

Or I can put the daystar panel up top... oh the options!
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
bigdaddyh
2009 JK Wrangler 

I got the idea from a guy on the other forum. Thought I'd post here to help someone out.

I took the console panel apart and removed the hazard light/ESP switch panel out (I have an X so plenty of spare switch openings).

This is a great place for switches but these switches are tight fitting in here. I even had to cut the end of the tabs because it was too deep and hitting the circuit board. I found this switch at Autozone.

Unread 01-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #30
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

bigdaddyh--that is PERFECT, just what I want to do as well. I have Sport (X) as well, so there are three blanks I can use. Where do you come through the firewall at?

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
install , JK Wrangler , switch , switch location , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.