Installing rocker switch.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing rocker switch....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
hmartinez
2009 JK Wrangler 

Installing rocker switch....

Installing KC slimlights and was wondering the best way to
cut a hole in the panal. Small bit to start but what do u
guys usually use to install rocker switch?

hmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine. Daystar switch panel.

Unread 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

usually a drill bit, but depends on the type of rocker switch too. if square, you can use a drill to get a hole big enough and then a utility knife or body saw to square it off.

Also, I tried the Daystar switch panel like above, but with a manual, third gear turned the switches on.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
beamme84
2009 JK Wrangler 

i use a dremel.
beamme84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
2jk1cjtj
2008 JK Wrangler 

lites

say how did you get the panel off to get the leds installed in the panel that looks good
2jk1cjtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

The top panel (above the radio) and the bottom panel (where the daystar switch panels is now) just snap out. Lift one corner of each and pull, they will just snap off.

That will expose the screws to get the rest of the panel off to install LED lights.
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjeepjk View Post
Also, I tried the Daystar switch panel like above, but with a manual, third gear turned the switches on.
Really!? ****... I was going to get that... sigh...
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I can attest to that also. I ran the Daystar panel for about a year and it just doesn't work with a manual. You can push the boot down and hold it in place with a ziptie, but you shouldn't have to do that.

I removed the daystar panel and moved my 4 switches to the middle of the center stack, where the power window switches would be (I don't have power windows). I used a dremel for this.

Then I have 6 switches up top, using an sPOD (which is probably one of the single best mods I've seen in 18+ years of modifying vehicles).

ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah... I was going to put a kill switch there (controling the switchs on the DS panel), then have the daystar panel down below...

How far down would one have to push the boot down for it to clear the switches down there? Would it look retarded if done?
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Here are a few shots I took back when I had the panel in.

Unread 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you need a round hole, use a step-drill. It wonít grab and the hole will come out perfectly every time. If you donít have one, you can get a set of three at harbor freight for practically nothing.
If you use it correctly it will also chamfer the hole too.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
hmartinez
2009 JK Wrangler 

one more question, there was a blue thing with the switch, it says 3M 804, 14-18 AWG.....do i need this if so where does it go?
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjeepjk View Post
Hmm I'm still tempted to get it anyway, without pushing down the boot. With a kill switch up by where the power windows go (I don't have power windows), it shouldn't matter if third gear turns them on or off (other than wear on the switches), as these will be lights (a couple different sets) and will all be controlled by the kill switch. As long as that's off nothings gonna turn on anyway...
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
hmartinez
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all your help...finished the install of the lights. Dremel was a great idea! work good.
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
Hmm I'm still tempted to get it anyway, without pushing down the boot. With a kill switch up by where the power windows go (I don't have power windows), it shouldn't matter if third gear turns them on or off (other than wear on the switches), as these will be lights (a couple different sets) and will all be controlled by the kill switch. As long as that's off nothings gonna turn on anyway...
Kill switch won't matter. The boot turns the daystar switches to the OFF position, not ON. So if the kill switch is not engaged, and you want your lights on..... the boot will keep turning them off.

(Unless I'm misunderstanding)

Tags
install , JK Wrangler , switch , switch location , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.