Installing the AEV 3.5" Lift Kit on a 2013 JK Rubicon Unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installing the AEV 3.5" Lift Kit on a 2013 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Installing the AEV 3.5" Lift Kit on a 2013 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Hi All, Hopefully a thread pertaining to this lift hasn't been beat to death. I'm getting ready to install a AEV JK DualSport SC Suspension 3.5" lift kit on my wifes (ah, yeh) 2013 JKU Rubicon 10 Year Anniversary. She uses this vehicle for the time being as her DD so I can only have it non operational over a weekend. Because of this I was wondering if anyone that has installed this kit could give me any recommendations and let me know if you hit any road blocks when installing this kit. I won't have the time to buy/order parts once I start the install. I know at a minimum I have to be ready to:

- Replace the wheels with 4.5" offset wheels or use wheel spacers
- Replace the Exhaust Loop or install the short spacers that move the exhaust back
- Replace the Front Drive Shaft

Any help, advice, lessons learned, etc. concerning this would be very much appreciated. I really have to be prepared to start this on a Friday night and have it out of the garage Sunday night ready for her to drive it to work Monday morning. Thanks

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
- Replace the wheels with 4.5" offset wheels or use wheel spacers
- Replace the Exhaust Loop or install the short spacers that move the exhaust back
- Replace the Front Drive Shaft
You don't have to do all of this that weekend.

The wheels should be okay unless you are upgrading to larger/wider tires. A lift alone won't create any new tire rub, just the width and backspacing combination.

The Front Drive shaft isn't going to spontaneously combust, you can wait a little bit to do it if you don't have the time that weekend. Set it up for the following weekend or something.

The exhaust loop would be a must for that weekend though.

But all in all you should have everything you need with the AEV kit, its pretty complete, except some drinks afterwards.
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And as far as the exhaust spacers go, they are very easy to do on a nice new jeep.

Everything is so new on your jeep it should be a smooth install. Just nuts and bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks you guys for getting back on this so quick. I felt the driveshaft could wait until I'm ready to go off road since the main concern is when the suspension drops/droops which wouldn't happen while street driving. I was concerned about the tires hitting something. I heard that on some lifts the tires/wheels hit the end links/stabilizer. I have to still get the exhaust loop or spacers. As far as the spacers go are they reliable and don't look kinda cheapy?

As far as the drinks...they are chillin' (priorities!!)
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Normal people won't notice the spacers, can't see them unless under the jeep.

My friend has a 2012 with almost 5" of lift with very long Fox shocks and runs the factory front shaft for now. Does this without any issues. Running exhaust spacers as well.

image-1145770005.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Take your time drilling the hole for the drag link kit , that is something you don't want to rush a mess up.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Boss, You did hit a tender spot. I hate drilling holes. It seems as if it's a hit or miss with me whether I get the darn pilot hole drilled in the center. My garage is full of tools but I think I need to get them calibrated because they never find the center. It can't be my fault, I'm sure...
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the same lift on my 2012.

The teraflex exhaust spacers didn't provide enough clearance for the stock driveshaft at full droop. With an aftermarket driveshaft it probably would have worked. FYI the exhaust loop isn't the problem, it's the y pipe, where it crosses in front of the trans crossmember. AFE makes a y pipe that will clear any drive shaft, or you can run spacers and an aftermarket shaft. So you get to make that decision.

As stated, be careful drilling the knuckle. If you had time and were really nervous, you could probably just remove the knuckle and take it to a machine shop. Quick work in a drill press or something.

I would advise picking up a synergy or Northridge suspension bolt kit. Replace all of the full length threaded suspension bolts with shouldered bolts. Easy to do while it is all apart, and it saves the trouble (and wear) down the road.

The tie rod adjuster may hang up on the front left sway bar link relocation bracket. In my case I had to hammer the adjuster out of the way so it would just barely clear. Huge safety hazard otherwise that they didn't even mention. Keep an eye out for it.

Be sure to follow the instructions about loosening the control arm bolts and retorquing them after it sits on its own weight.

And, hopefully they've done something to help advise you which bolts go where. The instructions I had kind of sucked. Make sure the coil springs are seated properly. Check and double check the torque, especially on the track bars. Frequently.

I don't remember if aev provided them or if I got them with the synergy bolt kit, but I would get some cam bolt eliminator washers from the front lower control arm axle side mount. The bolts go in a loose square hole, designed to be punched out to adjust caster. It isn't a tight fit, nor a reliable way to set caster on a lifted JK. Get large washers that hold the bolt centered in those holes.

That's all I can think of for now....
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Here is a thread that I made that goes over what I saw during my install. The install of the lift itself took about 8 hours with two of us doing work, plus a lot of testing and making sure things fit right. Which I recommend anyone does when they install the lift to make sure there are no problems in the future. Mine was a 10' so there will be a few minor differences.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j.../#post15967929
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
You don't have to do all of this that weekend.

The wheels should be okay unless you are upgrading to larger/wider tires. A lift alone won't create any new tire rub, just the width and backspacing combination.

The Front Drive shaft isn't going to spontaneously combust, you can wait a little bit to do it if you don't have the time that weekend. Set it up for the following weekend or something.

The exhaust loop would be a must for that weekend though.

But all in all you should have everything you need with the AEV kit, its pretty complete, except some drinks afterwards.
If you do the shaft you wont need to mess with the exhaust.
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
If you do the shaft you wont need to mess with the exhaust.
Well thanks, I didn't know that. I thought I would still have some issues with the shaft but now I can rethink my approach...Hmmmmm
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget to get hoses and worm drive clamps to extend your F + R axle breathers. With the lift you might (I did with 4.5 AEV). The stock hoses were way too short!

You can get hoses and plastic couplers at any auto parts store.
xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
Don't forget to get hoses and worm drive clamps to extend your F + R axle breathers. With the lift you might (I did with 4.5 AEV). The stock hoses were way too short!

You can get hoses and plastic couplers at any auto parts store.
Good point. Forgot all about those. I'll have to dig thru my box of hoses and bins of fittings to see what I have and buy what I need. I'm planning on doing the left install next week and it's suppose to rain. I wouldn't be able to take it out of the barn without the hoses on, H2O + Oil = $$$$$$$$$$. It's the little things like that I space out because I'm looking at the major changes.
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You can definitely drive it without breather extensions. Off road things will pull off most likely. Not the end of the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.