Installed some ACE Rock Sliders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed some ACE Rock Sliders

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

Installed some ACE Rock Sliders

Finally got around to the installation of some ACE Engineering JK Rock Sliders just before the game stared. Here are some shots of the install - didn't take long at all. I did have to remove the stock Rubi Rails :frown: The new rails seem very solid and I think they will hold up well - time will tell.

ACE Engineering Rock Sliders - came well packaged and UPS didn't beat them up either:

For reference here is the stock Rubi-rail - I was looking for a little more armor (not to mention no more door dings in the parking lot :biggrin: )

First I had to remove the Rubi-rails, then the big frame-body bolts and measure the fit of the bolts inside the new rock rails. Each bolt washer had to be trimmed a little bit on each side to fit into the rock rail:

Just a little bit off on each side of the giant washer - I don't have a grinder so I used a portable hack-saw - no WAY was just a file going to work or a hand hack-saw. (my rube goldberg work bench and vise seemed to allow me to get the job done - workbench is still another project on my list but I couldn't wait)

Let the saw do the work and then clean up the cut with a file:

Check the fit of each body-bolt and washer before you get under the jeep:

Installing them is a two man job (noted from the install video off the ACE site) didn't have a 2nd man so I improvised and use a bike lift to hold the slider in place - worked like a charm.

I torqued the body bolts back on to 80' lbs - front and rear. Here is what they look like freshly installed:

I think the ACE guys have a quality product - the fit and finish is nice and clearance seems nice in the front:

Here is the fit in the rear:

Another bonus - when I get around to getting a lift and some 35s I won't have to worry about rails hitting - just the pinch seam:

Here they are installed:

kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
old12school3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good! I thought you could install them with the factory rubi rails on?
old12school3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Club
Nice job and thanks for the write-up!
I added a link to the JK F.A.Q. for future reference

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by old12school3
Looks good! I thought you could install them with the factory rubi rails on?
You can, installed mine under a set Rubi rails that I picked up for cheap, thats one of the things that sold me one the Aces

Last edited by slider_68; 02-06-2012 at 05:10 AM..
slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ill buy your stock rubi rails
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lol...the Ace Rails are designed specifically to be installed under the Rubi rails.

Nothing like getting to do a job twice(minus the trimming of the washers)!
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

I installed them as well. Had a hell of a time with the last body bolt not catching. Took 20 mins of swearing and sweating to get the bolt to catch.
Jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Very nice! I agree with everyone else though, why did you have to take off the Rubi Rails? They work just fine with them? Either way, you made a great choice. All of ACE's products are great! These rails will stand up to any beating you put them through!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

I need a set of these too, they look very sharp.

Would be nice if ace makes a slightly wider set of fender flares to match them!

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcap View Post
What the hell is going on with that gigantic spider on your vice? I donít care if itís dead or not how in world can you work with that thing there?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice! I want a set of those so bad but unfortunately the idiot previous owner of my jeep got rid of the rubicon rails and installed some gay step rails instead. And these rails look much better with the stock rails on because there's too much of a gap without them. I'll probably end up with a to z's sliders. Ace is the only place with reasonable prices though that I've seen. Everybody else thinks they use gold instead of steel in their bumpers and sliders.

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

spider web

Hahahah your right - big old-spider-web on it. Vice was over in the corner of the garage and I just grabbed it and went to work on the washer bolts right there in the middle of the garage floor. Really need to get a proper bench set back up. When I moved about 8yrs ago I sold off most all my tools etc. Vice was one thing I couldn't let go - Grandpa/ma gave that to me many years ago as an xmas gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
What the hell is going on with that gigantic spider on your vice? I donít care if itís dead or not how in world can you work with that thing there?
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Rubi rails and ACE sliders are made to work together.
2011-08-20_07-26-06_74.jpg  
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes they are and they look good. I may have to revisit the install - what kind of clearance are you seeing between the stock rail and the slider? When
I was bolting on the set I had there was 0 - you couldn't even get a match-book cover between them... and that pesky rear bolt was just like Jeffro said... looking fwd to testing them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
The Rubi rails and ACE sliders are made to work together.
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Jeepjet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Love-em and of course plan to re-tighten after a few miles.
2012 JK Sport, Deep Cherry Red , 3.6 Penastar, 5 spd. auto, 3:21's, 285/70x17 DuraTrac's , Teraflex leveling kit, U.S. Alloy 1.5 spacers, ACE rock sliders, Rugged Ridge front dif skid, quadratec mats, K&N element,+80 headlamps...

Last edited by Jeepjet; 12-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: need pic space
Jeepjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.