Installed my new rugged ridge rear bumper/tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed my new rugged ridge rear bumper/tire carrier

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
kking08
2010 JK Wrangler 

Installed my new rugged ridge rear bumper/tire carrier

just finished the install of the bumper. so far its great, install was very easy with detailed instructions. only took me and hour and a half to install the bumper and new hitch i bought. once you get the factory bumper off its scary how light and flimsy it is compared to this one..here are some pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

kking08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

looks great.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
fightingmajor
2010 JK Wrangler 

looks good, how much did you pay for it?
fightingmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Raudel
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, this is part of my mods list.
Raudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really like mine. Only thing I dislike is that stupid cable that attaches to the locking pin. That damn thing has come disconnected from the pin so many times- no matter how hard I crimp it, it comes off within a month (but it does get frequent use).

Otherwise, it is great. The carrier is rattle free. And the bumper itself- I have beat the hell out of it on rocks, and not dents or dings- just some scratched powder coat.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
rustedxj
2007 JK Wrangler 

looks good!
1992 XJ- Sold
1990 YJ- Sold
rustedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
drvnwheel
2013 JK Wrangler 

I also installed the bumper and tire carrier. First thing I did was REPLACE the little cable that holds the pin with a small "link chain" that purchased at Home Depot. Bought a foot of it (.99/foot) and sized it up for just enough slack to work. Looks better that the cable also.
drvnwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Looks goods... now for some 35's!

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
spleify
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. Where could I find one of those, I definitely like that style.

Thanks
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good man! I'm wondering, does the bumper still have the issue of sitting up higher on the driver's side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I really like mine. Only thing I dislike is that stupid cable that attaches to the locking pin. That damn thing has come disconnected from the pin so many times- no matter how hard I crimp it, it comes off within a month (but it does get frequent use).

Otherwise, it is great. The carrier is rattle free. And the bumper itself- I have beat the hell out of it on rocks, and not dents or dings- just some scratched powder coat.
That little cable fell off for me the first time I yanked on it too hard (which wasn't hard at all). Other than that I also agree, it's totally rattle free and the finish on it is really nice, especially for the price.

I did manage to put a dent in mine though. The whole weight of the rear of the Jeep was concentrated on a 2" tip of a rock. Put a good bend in the bottom of my bumper, but not noticeable unless you're lookin for it!
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleify View Post
Looks good. Where could I find one of those, I definitely like that style.

Thanks
Around Christmas last year I was able to piece it together from two online stores for about $700 shipped.
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
stuckmehere
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, what's the weight on those bumpers. I saw that the tire carrier alone was 45 lbs what is the weight of the bumper with or without the tire carrier. Did anyone notice any sag after install. Thanks
stuckmehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
skyjump136
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post

I got rid of that stupid pin and stepped up to the next biggest size they had at Lowes. Get's rid of the cable and the pin fits in there more snuggly...I just drilled it out a touch to make it fit. BTW, a zip tie works just as well as the cable and when it breaks its easy to replace.
skyjump136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
kking08
2010 JK Wrangler 

i think it was just over 700, and i ordered it through quadratec. Drove about 75 miles today and didnt notice any rattles or anything. now i just have to get 35's asafp. that spare tire looks horrible on there
kking08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #15
JBravo41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks good and I like the fact that you can use the stock hitch with it... alot cheaper than going the Mopar option...

Bravo
JBravo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.