Installed my Kargo Master rack 2dr JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed my Kargo Master rack 2dr JK

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
crankwalk
2014 JK Wrangler 

Installed my Kargo Master rack 2dr JK

I bought a new Wrangler about 3 weeks ago and the first course of action was to get a kayak on it. Racks are expensive but but other cheaper alternatives have their limitations like not being able to put the top up,windows up, clamp to the body etc.

So a friend sends me a link on CL for a Kargomaster rack with Yakima bars for $85 that is complete with every nut and bolt. Thats a savings of about $500 I was about to drop!

Long story short, it was for a 4 door so I ordered the 2 door bars from Kargo Master for $90 bucks. Of course they didn't fit. They were the right length but the OD of the pipe didn't slip into the hoops. Bad machining. (I hope they will take retunrs on Monday) So I took my 4 door pipes to a motorcycle shop and they cut and welded the 4 door bars down to the right length. Finally everything went on.

A little spray paint and and elbow grease and I have about $200 bucks in the full setup. Can't wait to hit the river.

Next to a coworkers stock Sahara:

crankwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
FlyingV82
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been looking for a rack system for hauling 2 kayaks. What are your thoughts on the rack so far, ease of top removal, wind noise with top on / off? Keep us updated on your experience.
FlyingV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
crankwalk
2014 JK Wrangler 

Its going to do 2 kayaks well. Taking the top off would e a pain with 1 person. even with 2 people mayabe a 20 minute ordeal. So I'm just rolling the windows down and calling it a day. Wind noise is definitely increased but wrapping the fron bar with bungee cords got rid of the howl and its more like normal wind noise just a little louder.
Unread 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
jenniferjeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

Where did you get the rack? I looked aon there web site and only found commercial racks.
jenniferjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
crankwalk
2014 JK Wrangler 

You can buy it from Quadratec. I got mine from craigslist.
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks awesome!
Does it seem like the pivots/hinges will stand up over time? (mud,rain,salt,etc) Are they greasable? I'm curious because all of the hardware and fittings on my Jeep love to rust, and I'm hardly ever at the beach:-(

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
crankwalk
2014 JK Wrangler 

I used black silicone everywhere on the fittings and lube the hinges with pbblaster. Should be just fine!
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
mhizzle1341
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've got the Kargomaster on my jeep, I can take it off/put it on by myself but it's kind of a pain, so I usually just go doorless. It would be a lot easier to do if they had put threaded studs on the rack and you just put a nut on it. I'm thinking of going topless more often this summer, mostly for the ladies sake
mhizzle1341 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.