Installed cb today - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Installed cb today

Installed the CB today. Tomorrow I'll go to an open area and hook an swr meter up. Happy with the mount. Check it out!

Compact cb in console

Name:  image-1811168115.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  293.0 KB

Side mount antenna on rear

Name:  image-474658364.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  308.8 KB

FIRECAPT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Jeepit85
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 434
I used the same mount on my TJ. They look real nice.

85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Also mounted a small wedge snapped external speaker. I used a long Velcro strap that I attached to the speaker with a couple of small screws. I then wrapped the strap around the roll bar area


Name:  image-4252246630.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  190.3 KB
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Phool
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Myrtle Point
Posts: 2
Nice. Where did you run the wires?
Phool is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Down the B post, under the carpet, under lower edge of console. I had a small hole drilled in the bottom of console. Lining that up took a few trys
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 PM
djm
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PENNINGTON
Posts: 419
I like the antenna mount - please tell me a little about it ? What model / Where did you get it ? Difficult to install ?

Thanks

Dan
djm is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAPT
Installed the CB today. Tomorrow I'll go to an open area and hook an swr meter up. Happy with the mount. Check it out!

Compact cb in console

Side mount antenna on rear
Well swr was horrible. Went to a large empty parking lot. Hooked up meter and went through channel 1 and 40. 1 was at 4.2, 40 was at 5+. I came home got on the Firestik web page (mount is a Firestik side mount, antenna a 3ft Firestik) they have a swr troubleshooting section. Most all of the suggestions dealt with checking continuity and good grounds. Everything checked perfect. I called Firestik for suggestions. They were very helpful. After verifying my ground and continuity checks, he asked about antenna location on my Jeep and how much antenna was above roof line. He felt the problem was likely due to it being mounted on rear and only six inches of antenna above roof. He said the fiberglass top would not be a huge problem, but the jeep has vertical and horizontal roll bars and they are in such a proximity to cause swr problems. His suggestion was a 4 foot antenna. This would put more antenna above roof and roll bars. Anyone else with a similar set up have this issue.
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton
Posts: 1,798
Was this ant adjustable? Adjustable tip?

You should be able to get better then that in the location you are mounting it. Still makes me think there is a grounding issue. Is the mount/ant assembled correctly? Do you by chance have another ant you could try, maybe a magnet mount?

I haven't even mounted my cb since getting my ham lic. I should go dig it out and see what is missing, it was in my YJ when my brother totalled it. My dad went to the junk yard and pulled what he could before the insurance took it.
duneslider is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM
LoneWolf
Registered User
 
LoneWolf's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 178
Garage
Borrow a friend's SWR meter to get a 'second opinion'. My meter shows a consistently high reading across all channels -- approaching 6! -- but my ground and continuity are fine. Since I get similar readings with different antennas, I'm thinking my meter is bad. (From what I've read, it's fairly common.)

'09 JKX: smokeythejeep.wordpress.com 33" Duratracs│TF leveling kit│CC bumpers
LoneWolf is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Borrow a friend's SWR meter to get a 'second opinion'. My meter shows a consistently high reading across all channels -- approaching 6! -- but my ground and continuity are fine. Since I get similar readings with different antennas, I'm thinking my meter is bad. (From what I've read, it's fairly common.)
That's an option. Just gotta find someone with one.
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Well my original antenna was not one of the Firestiks with a tunable tip. After speaking with a tech at Firestik he felt that the 3 ft antenna I was running would have worked if it had a tunable tip. He felt based on his experience that being on a Jeep, the best I could hope for would be in the swr 2 range and distance would still be an issue, but would be fine for trail purpose, if it were a tunable tip. I ordered a 4 ft firefly(very light weight) with a tunable tip. I also ordered a heavy duty 3inch spring. Well now instead of 6 inches above the roof, I have 21. The SWR, using the tunable tip, tuned to 1.5, channel 1 thru 40. I believe for those not looking this much antenna above the roof, a 3ft firefly w/tunable tip and a 3 inch spring would be perfect. The techs at firefly were awesome , helpful and patient. Hats off the good customer service. As mention in an earlier post, I did not have to grind paint off to bear metal behind the support plate of the mount.
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM
AEVBrute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 82
I did a cross country trip and the cb was the most important aid next to the nav. I played around with the firestiks for a while until I ran in to a 3 foot adjustable tip k40. It was night and day compared to any of the firestiks. I run a firestick on my pick up but the Wrangler loves the k40.

When I take my hard top off the meter readings change so keep that in mind.

Here is a link:

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...itswhips-tips/

pretty sure this is the one I ended up getting as I didn't want it much higher than the vehicle

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...0-watts-black/
AEVBrute is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
FIRECAPT
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: KNIGHTDALE, NC
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute
I did a cross country trip and the cb was the most important aid next to the nav. I played around with the firestiks for a while until I ran in to a 3 foot adjustable tip k40. It was night and day compared to any of the firestiks. I run a firestick on my pick up but the Wrangler loves the k40.

When I take my hard top off the meter readings change so keep that in mind.

Here is a link:

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...itswhips-tips/

pretty sure this is the one I ended up getting as I didn't want it much higher than the vehicle

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...0-watts-black/
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the K40 in mind
FIRECAPT is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton
Posts: 1,798
I really think a tunable tip is mandatory to get it tuned right.

Back in the day my fiberglass ant I had to just cut a little off at a time until it got to where it needed to be and then it was done. If you went too far, oh well.

Glad you got it figured out.
duneslider is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAPT View Post
Well swr was horrible. Went to a large empty parking lot. Hooked up meter and went through channel 1 and 40. 1 was at 4.2, 40 was at 5+. I came home got on the Firestik web page (mount is a Firestik side mount, antenna a 3ft Firestik) they have a swr troubleshooting section. Most all of the suggestions dealt with checking continuity and good grounds. Everything checked perfect. I called Firestik for suggestions. They were very helpful. After verifying my ground and continuity checks, he asked about antenna location on my Jeep and how much antenna was above roof line. He felt the problem was likely due to it being mounted on rear and only six inches of antenna above roof. He said the fiberglass top would not be a huge problem, but the jeep has vertical and horizontal roll bars and they are in such a proximity to cause swr problems. His suggestion was a 4 foot antenna. This would put more antenna above roof and roll bars. Anyone else with a similar set up have this issue.
There was a recent discussion about this in a local forum, and it matches what you got from talking with the Firestik folks.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome