Installed cb today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installed cb today

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Installed cb today

Installed the CB today. Tomorrow I'll go to an open area and hook an swr meter up. Happy with the mount. Check it out!

Compact cb in console

image-1811168115.jpg

Side mount antenna on rear

image-474658364.jpg

FIRECAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Jeepit85
1985 CJ7 

I used the same mount on my TJ. They look real nice.
85 CJ7, Howell TBI, Twin Stick, 4:10's, 35" Pitbull Rockers, Clifford 6=8, Detroits, Matkins Level II, BDS 4", Summers Brothers. Skynyrd rocks.
06 Rubicon
06 Lance Camper
02 Dodge Cummins
06 VW Jetta TDI
Jeepit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Also mounted a small wedge snapped external speaker. I used a long Velcro strap that I attached to the speaker with a couple of small screws. I then wrapped the strap around the roll bar area

image-4252246630.jpg
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Phool
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice. Where did you run the wires?
Phool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Down the B post, under the carpet, under lower edge of console. I had a small hole drilled in the bottom of console. Lining that up took a few trys
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like the antenna mount - please tell me a little about it ? What model / Where did you get it ? Difficult to install ?

Thanks

Dan
djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAPT
Installed the CB today. Tomorrow I'll go to an open area and hook an swr meter up. Happy with the mount. Check it out!

Compact cb in console

Side mount antenna on rear
Well swr was horrible. Went to a large empty parking lot. Hooked up meter and went through channel 1 and 40. 1 was at 4.2, 40 was at 5+. I came home got on the Firestik web page (mount is a Firestik side mount, antenna a 3ft Firestik) they have a swr troubleshooting section. Most all of the suggestions dealt with checking continuity and good grounds. Everything checked perfect. I called Firestik for suggestions. They were very helpful. After verifying my ground and continuity checks, he asked about antenna location on my Jeep and how much antenna was above roof line. He felt the problem was likely due to it being mounted on rear and only six inches of antenna above roof. He said the fiberglass top would not be a huge problem, but the jeep has vertical and horizontal roll bars and they are in such a proximity to cause swr problems. His suggestion was a 4 foot antenna. This would put more antenna above roof and roll bars. Anyone else with a similar set up have this issue.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Was this ant adjustable? Adjustable tip?

You should be able to get better then that in the location you are mounting it. Still makes me think there is a grounding issue. Is the mount/ant assembled correctly? Do you by chance have another ant you could try, maybe a magnet mount?

I haven't even mounted my cb since getting my ham lic. I should go dig it out and see what is missing, it was in my YJ when my brother totalled it. My dad went to the junk yard and pulled what he could before the insurance took it.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Borrow a friend's SWR meter to get a 'second opinion'. My meter shows a consistently high reading across all channels -- approaching 6! -- but my ground and continuity are fine. Since I get similar readings with different antennas, I'm thinking my meter is bad. (From what I've read, it's fairly common.)

2009 JKX - Stock, for now ...
My videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKB...AoLi1Zg/videos
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Borrow a friend's SWR meter to get a 'second opinion'. My meter shows a consistently high reading across all channels -- approaching 6! -- but my ground and continuity are fine. Since I get similar readings with different antennas, I'm thinking my meter is bad. (From what I've read, it's fairly common.)
That's an option. Just gotta find someone with one.
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well my original antenna was not one of the Firestiks with a tunable tip. After speaking with a tech at Firestik he felt that the 3 ft antenna I was running would have worked if it had a tunable tip. He felt based on his experience that being on a Jeep, the best I could hope for would be in the swr 2 range and distance would still be an issue, but would be fine for trail purpose, if it were a tunable tip. I ordered a 4 ft firefly(very light weight) with a tunable tip. I also ordered a heavy duty 3inch spring. Well now instead of 6 inches above the roof, I have 21. The SWR, using the tunable tip, tuned to 1.5, channel 1 thru 40. I believe for those not looking this much antenna above the roof, a 3ft firefly w/tunable tip and a 3 inch spring would be perfect. The techs at firefly were awesome , helpful and patient. Hats off the good customer service. As mention in an earlier post, I did not have to grind paint off to bear metal behind the support plate of the mount.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
AEVBrute

I did a cross country trip and the cb was the most important aid next to the nav. I played around with the firestiks for a while until I ran in to a 3 foot adjustable tip k40. It was night and day compared to any of the firestiks. I run a firestick on my pick up but the Wrangler loves the k40.

When I take my hard top off the meter readings change so keep that in mind.

Here is a link:

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...itswhips-tips/

pretty sure this is the one I ended up getting as I didn't want it much higher than the vehicle

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...0-watts-black/
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute
I did a cross country trip and the cb was the most important aid next to the nav. I played around with the firestiks for a while until I ran in to a 3 foot adjustable tip k40. It was night and day compared to any of the firestiks. I run a firestick on my pick up but the Wrangler loves the k40.

When I take my hard top off the meter readings change so keep that in mind.

Here is a link:

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...itswhips-tips/

pretty sure this is the one I ended up getting as I didn't want it much higher than the vehicle

http://www.k40antennas.com/products/...0-watts-black/
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep the K40 in mind
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really think a tunable tip is mandatory to get it tuned right.

Back in the day my fiberglass ant I had to just cut a little off at a time until it got to where it needed to be and then it was done. If you went too far, oh well.

Glad you got it figured out.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRECAPT View Post
Well swr was horrible. Went to a large empty parking lot. Hooked up meter and went through channel 1 and 40. 1 was at 4.2, 40 was at 5+. I came home got on the Firestik web page (mount is a Firestik side mount, antenna a 3ft Firestik) they have a swr troubleshooting section. Most all of the suggestions dealt with checking continuity and good grounds. Everything checked perfect. I called Firestik for suggestions. They were very helpful. After verifying my ground and continuity checks, he asked about antenna location on my Jeep and how much antenna was above roof line. He felt the problem was likely due to it being mounted on rear and only six inches of antenna above roof. He said the fiberglass top would not be a huge problem, but the jeep has vertical and horizontal roll bars and they are in such a proximity to cause swr problems. His suggestion was a 4 foot antenna. This would put more antenna above roof and roll bars. Anyone else with a similar set up have this issue.
There was a recent discussion about this in a local forum, and it matches what you got from talking with the Firestik folks.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.