Installation of a Midland 75-822 CB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation of a Midland 75-822 CB

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installation of a Midland 75-822 CB

Many still exclusively use CBs to communicate on the trails. The CB along with an external antenna (I have a FireStick Firefly installed antenna installed with the CB: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...mount-1135646/) permits us to join in on the conversations.

This is what you get. It's a pretty flexible CB. You can use the power from the Jeep, or outside of the Jeep with the small supplied antenna and rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries:

Plastic furniture leg caps can be placed on the CB ends to keep the dirt out:

The antenna and CB must be tuned using a SWR meter and cable:

With everything connected, set the CB to Channel 1, key the mic, and with the meter set to FWD calibrate the meter:

With the mic still keyed, switch the meter to REF and check the SWR reading:

Repeat this procedure for Channel 40. If the SWR doesn't match, then adjust the antenna until Channel 1 and 40 are the same. Once they're the same check Channel 19 (Channel 19 is the center frequency and should be the "best"). You want your SWR to read 2 or below on all channels. For more detailed information check out the FireStick Library.

Here's the CB "installed":

I got a bracket to hold the mic:

Iíve used the CB on one run and was told my transmission was clear. I could also receive the transmission from others on the run with no problems.

I recently decided it would be nice to have more volume on the speaker, so I made a cable to plug the output of the CB into my radio. Here are the parts (stereo on one side mono the other - right angle connectors):

Assembled and tied into the radio:

In the Jeep:

AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s

Last edited by joe002; 03-26-2011 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Added info on speaker cable.
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

For what is worth, tuning the antenna isnt really required when using it just on the trail. It transmits fine for a little over a mile depending if its setup right. I can even get the weather channel clearly.

Very cool setup btw, I like how its portable.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
For what is worth, tuning the antenna isnt really required when using it just on the trail. It transmits fine for a little over a mile depending if its setup right. I can even get the weather channel clearly.

Very cool setup btw, I like how its portable.
Thanks. I really liked the portable features, though I haven't used it walking around very much at all.

I agree that you don't need have GOOD tuning for the trail as you really aren't talking over vast distances. Iíve seen where some worry that their SWR isnít right at 1.0. Yeah, donít worry about it. OTOH you really should get out the meter to make sure you donít have any shorts and your SWR isn't so high that you'll blow out your CB. Just keep it under 2 and youíre good to go.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
J_Westy

I saw your post on one of the forums too. Nice job!

Why did you choose this one over the Cobra?

What did you use for a bracket to mount the mic?
J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
I saw your post on one of the forums too. Nice job!

Why did you choose this one over the Cobra?

What did you use for a bracket to mount the mic?
Thanks.

The Cobra 75? Well, I liked that the Midland could be hooked up to power and in the Jeep or with you could walk around with it using batteries, and I liked that the entire radio was in the hand piece. There's no extra little box that needs to be mounted or wires that need to be run (except of course for the antenna wire). I plug it into the power output - no noise issues. The audio from the unit is not great, but OK, though I can run a wire from the hand unit to my radio and I'm sure the sound would be plenty loud. Also, the Midland tends to cost less than the Cobra.

I had a custom bracket fabricated:

Fits nicely with no sharp edges:
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
J_Westy

Thanks for the insight. Basically the same thoughts I had, so thanks for the validation.

Nice mic bracket. Were you able to pull it off more cheaply that the Cool Tech one or was there some other reason or feature you wanted?

Cool Tech LLC. JK VersaMount
J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
...Nice mic bracket. Were you able to pull it off more cheaply that the Cool Tech one or was there some other reason or feature you wanted?...
No, it wasn't the price (about the same with shipping), it was the mounting. The Cool Tech is made for the Cobra CBs. Here's the back of the Midland:

With the Midland you just need a flat mounting surface. The bracket thing on the Cool Tech sticks out and would need to be removed. Once it's removed there's no edge to hold the CB from slipping off to the right, so I had my bracket made with a bend in it. Plus the bent edge is probably a bit more forgiving on your body if you happen to accidently slide down on/hit the bracket.
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Montanamike

Fabricated Custom Bracket

What are the details on the custom fabricated bracket?
Where can I get one?
The place where you got yours have contact info?
Are there blueprints to make my own?
Thanks.
MM
Montanamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanamike View Post
What are the details on the custom fabricated bracket?
Where can I get one?
The place where you got yours have contact info?
Are there blueprints to make my own?
Thanks.
MM
Try jahill69@sbcglobal.net. Tell them you want a bracket like the one they made for joe002 back in August 2009.
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_005.htm alternative..
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Montanamike

Custom Bracket for CB

Thanks. I will give it a try.

MM
Montanamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
TJChef
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your concise and thorough breakdown.
TJChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.