Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #31
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

No lift here, only a stock (for now) JK Unlimited, but I've been doing my research (same kit even!) as well and think I can chime in on some of these things. Also know of a Central PA shop as of today:

1. What tools do I have to have to install the lift?
Been answered

2. With this lift, are there any other adjustments I should do that aren't included in this kit?
Break relocation brackets (home depot style) are the only one I can think of. Otherwise should have what you need.

3. I'm only looking to get 33" tires under my Rubi, is everything else on the rig up to par to run 33s?
You can run 33s on a stock JK, but with the lift is the safest so you get zero rub (some rub without lift), so you are safe from a lift perspective. You may want to consider gears someday if the 4.10 isn't enough to spin the 33s to your liking, but you can definitely live without this $1300-1600 expense for a while, especially with the 4.10s. If you are going to regear, everything I've read has said go 4.56 or 4.88 for 33s.

4. How long would it take 2 people to do the lift?
I'm guessing the recommended time on the RC site is about right. Maybe half day or so working leisurely with 2 people?

5. Does anyone think I don't need this lift to get DC1 wheels on my rig and if so, why not?
Not sure why the DC1 wheels wouldn't fit an unlifted rig? Even with 33s should fit stock height, you'll just get some rubbing at full lock and full flex.

6. Should I tackle this myself or have it installed professionally? (i'm reasonably mechanically inclined with a decent tool outfit)
Depends how good you are and/or how lazy? LOL? 2 reasonably inclined mechanics should be able to pull it off no problem, but if you'd rather fork out an extra couple hundred bucks, I'm sure someone would do it for you.

6A. What should I expect to pay for installation in the central PA area?
Call the place I am about to mention.

6B. Anyone have suggestions on installation shops in central PA?
Mt. Zion Offroad in Dover, PA. Just found out about them today (and judging only from website but thats usually a good first indicator) and looks like it would be a good first bet. Site is here: http://www.mountzionoffroad.com/services.html

7. Will this lift interfere with the electronic Disco or anything else on the '08 Rubi
Some people report problems. Some do not. Not sure if there has ever been a distinguishing reason for the issues. I saw someone talk in depth (even though I didn't read it) about it above though.

8. Oh, AND, if you have this lift, could you either PM me or post the instructions for installation. I can't find anything anywhere on the step-by-step on this lift.
Don't have it, but interested in it someday, so if you install it, do take pics and let me know!!

redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #32
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM_OF_PAIN View Post
Someone got tired of draining out the Rubi huh?
I have nothing to add, just wanted to tell you I may be making the move to a 4dr Rubi soon... When's the next trip?
LMAO! Nah, drainin' the rubi was fun in the most painful and horribly gut wrentching sense of the word. Not sure on next trip bud...PM me and we'll talk about it.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #33
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks RedRockin7...I'm told that the only DC1 wheels that will fit my lugs I need some backspacing or a 2" lift to put stock sized tires on the JK. Not being fully educated on this subject (yet), I'm taking the **** Cepek Rep's word for it. I'll keep you posted on all the developments. Thanks for filling in the gaps for me.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not to revive an old thread, but I'm thinking about this same lift, matched with a set of rancho adjustable rs9000x shocks and the in-cab adjust kit. (We do a -lot- of traveling, and even leaving out the dc->key west trips my daily commute ranges from fast modern highway to 2 miles of bombed out disaster.)

How do you like it after a year?

Did you end up installing an adjustable track bar (or track bar raise bracket?) I was seeing a few posts (about this specific lift) saying there was a slight twist to the rear axle with the stock trackbar & no adjustments/bracket.

How was the installation? We're backyard-maintenance level, but by no means are we auto techs Looks like its simple enough. (And the local shops rent the spring tools for free w/ deposit, so no worries there)

Thanks
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I want to make one comment about the rear track bar bracket. I used the rear track bar bracket from RC and have not had any problems yet. I think brackets get a bad name due to the ones that mount on the axle side. The RC braket mounts to the frame so breakage should not be an issue.
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and it got lost in one of the edits but this is on my 06 wrangler x, so clearly some things will be different
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.