Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 01-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #16
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks jafe...RC sells a rear track bar relocation bracket that repositions the trackbar 1/4" to center up the rear axle. They have a front one "coming soon" I think this is what i'll be getting in lieu of an adjustable one, since I'm getting the lift from them. How do you calculate/figure out how much to move an adjustable one? Where do you take your measurements to make the correct move? (If I decide to get an adjustable one instead)

"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #17
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2TurboMSS View Post
thanks jafe...RC sells a rear track bar relocation bracket that repositions the trackbar 1/4" to center up the rear axle. They have a front one "coming soon" I think this is what i'll be getting in lieu of an adjustable one, since I'm getting the lift from them. How do you calculate/figure out how much to move an adjustable one? Where do you take your measurements to make the correct move? (If I decide to get an adjustable one instead)
If you can be talked into an adjustable, I highly advise it. The rear TB mounts on JK's are notorious for breaking off the axle when mated with a relo bracket. The stress on that bracket is amplified a ton from the increased leverage. If you aren't going to wheel the Jeep or money is tight, then a bracket is a solution, but if you want to do it right, get an adjustable.

The guy who owns my local shop says he's welded no less than 15 broken TB axle mounts in 2008. He pushes adjustables hard, but people still get brackets and he keeps on welding.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #18
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
If you can be talked into an adjustable, I highly advise it. The rear TB mounts on JK's are notorious for breaking off the axle when mated with a relo bracket. The stress on that bracket is amplified a ton from the increased leverage. If you aren't going to wheel the Jeep or money is tight, then a bracket is a solution, but if you want to do it right, get an adjustable.

The guy who owns my local shop says he's welded no less than 15 broken TB axle mounts in 2008. He pushes adjustables hard, but people still get brackets and he keeps on welding.
The fronts are also notorious for breaking off. And they tend to do so at the most inopportune time like going 60mph down the freeway. Brackets are not really advisable.

To answer your question FC2TurboMSS- yes, I did adjustable trackbars. I ran a BB for 6 months without them, and it drove me crazy seeing my wheels off center. So when I switched to the RR kit, I also did the trackbars just because.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

well, this just stinks the big pile of gooey doo doo. Makes sense to me to get something that I won't need to have welded back on I suppose. 4wd.com has adj. trackbars by full traction for $217.00. That's the first place I looked, so I still need to do some comparative shopping. But does that sound about the right price? Those are listed as "ultra heavy duty" and specify their good to go if you're adding a bumper and winch. Which I will be doing. I hadn't heard of needing this for a winch bumper package before. Is there something with the additional weight of the added bumper that makes it a good idea to upgrade the trackbar? Or is this just product hype? sorry, a bit off subject I know.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

You're right- it has nothing to do with the bumper/winch.

I'm using JKS adjustable trackbars front & rear. I got them from Northridge4x4. They list on their website the front is $139 and the rear is $139. I imagine if you call David at Northridge he would make you a package deal on both.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
well, this just stinks the big pile of gooey doo doo. Makes sense to me to get something that I won't need to have welded back on I suppose. 4wd.com has adj. trackbars by full traction for $217.00. That's the first place I looked, so I still need to do some comparative shopping. But does that sound about the right price? Those are listed as "ultra heavy duty" and specify their good to go if you're adding a bumper and winch. Which I will be doing. I hadn't heard of needing this for a winch bumper package before. Is there something with the additional weight of the added bumper that makes it a good idea to upgrade the trackbar? Or is this just product hype? sorry, a bit off subject I know.
I don't claim to know everything about Jeeps, but I think I know enough to get by. I've never heard of any correlation to added bumper weight and the need for a heavier duty TB. Bottom line, the weak link in the entire process will always be that bracket.

You could probably go with EL-CHEAPO brand track bars, or some sick overbuilt hardened titanium bar ...and if anything is going to ever break, it will be that d@mn bracket. Going with an adjustable will just keep the stresses on the factory bracket close to the stock parameters - which has proven to tbe the safest route, hence more desireable. That's the only advantage - if no body ever had trouble with those brackets, adjustable track bar sales might be half of what they are and we'd all mostly be using relo brackets. But as far as I know... a bumper, a winch, or a fat girlfriend should have no influence on your track bar decision.

If you were building a competiton trail rig, with Dana 60's and 40" meats, I'd probably advise not going el-cheapo. Otherwise, I think as long as its adjustable and most are suitable for the job on any JK.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Tricked919- funny post! Love it

Speaking of the weak mounts. I completely forgot- when I did my original BB, I had a buddy of mine weld on some reinforcements gussets to the stock bracket. Back then, there was no one making gussets, so he had to make them for me. But I had read so many stories of people breaking the stock brackets, that I was nervous and really wanted them reinforced. Thankfully I have a buddy that is good with metal and welding.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #23
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good info on adjustable TB installation here from 4x4xplor (as usual):

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #24
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

The RC rear bracket mounts to the frame not the axle. The only reason I got it was for that fact after reading and seeing the pictures of broken mounts on the asle. Planning on the JKS in the future but will have to wait for now. Don't have anything up front with no problems.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #25
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
Good info on adjustable TB installation here from 4x4xplor (as usual):

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Good write-up. One thing though that they don't mention. After measuring both sides you need to halve the difference to get the actual adjustment for the track bar. If the difference is one inch, then the track bar needs to be adjusted half an inch to center everything.
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Tricked919- funny post! Love it

Speaking of the weak mounts. I completely forgot- when I did my original BB, I had a buddy of mine weld on some reinforcements gussets to the stock bracket. Back then, there was no one making gussets, so he had to make them for me. But I had read so many stories of people breaking the stock brackets, that I was nervous and really wanted them reinforced. Thankfully I have a buddy that is good with metal and welding.
George? RockRash 4X4?
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #27
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
George? RockRash 4X4?
Yep... But that was before there was a RockRash4x4

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #28
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Comparing the different adjustable track bars, which would people recommend.

JKS - $160. 1.25" OD x .156 thickness
Black Diamond - $150 OD 1.25" x .300 thickness
Full Traction - $217 - ? x .300 thickness (diameter not mentioned). $180 on auction site.

I haven't used Black Diamond products but this seems to be the best value for money to me. JKS wall thickness is half the others.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #29
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

haven't done my research yet, and I'm sure the .156 wall thickness is fine (that's almost 3/16" thickness), but i agree...pound for pound, the black diamond looks like the best deal.
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #30
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Someone got tired of draining out the Rubi huh?
I have nothing to add, just wanted to tell you I may be making the move to a 4dr Rubi soon... When's the next trip?

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.