Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installation Advice; RC 2.5" lift

Ok First, I'm gonna eat some crow on this one so I'll kick myself before anyone else gets a decent chance to do so. Yes, I said I never wanted to lift my rig. Yes, I have even argued why NOT to lift a rig. Yes, I've been a bit judgemental of lifts in the past. For all of these things, and to all who've lifted their JK (rubicon or otherwise)...I am sorry.

That said, I have decided that I need a lift to get the wheels I want on my '08 2dr Rubi. **** Cepek DC1 in black. After reading a whole slew of threads I've settled on the Rough Country 2.5" progressive coil spring lift with the 2.2 shocks. Thank you N2Rock, as you're comments on this lift kit have been most instrumental in my decision. Now, the questions. Please answer as if you were telling your 4 year old daughter.

1. What tools do I have to have to install the lift?
2. With this lift, are there any other adjustments I should do that aren't included in this kit? (i remember something about a brake line relocation brkt)
3. I'm only looking to get 33" tires under my Rubi, is everything else on the rig up to par to run 33s? (all my research says so, but I want your opinions)
4. How long would it take 2 people to do the lift?
5. Does anyone think I don't need this lift to get DC1 wheels on my rig and if so, why not?
6. Should I tackle this myself or have it installed professionally? (i'm reasonably mechanically inclined with a decent tool outfit)
6A. What should I expect to pay for installation in the central PA area?
6B. Anyone have suggestions on installation shops in central PA?
7. Will this lift interfere with the electronic Disco or anything else on the '08 Rubi
8. Oh, AND, if you have this lift, could you either PM me or post the instructions for installation. I can't find anything anywhere on the step-by-step on this lift.

That's long enough, i'm sure the answers will pose more questions. Thanks guys for the assist.

"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet

Last edited by FC2TurboMSS; 01-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: add stuff
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Since this is a spring lift the process will be similar to a BB lift. Here's what you will need:
18mm socket and wrench to remove swaybar links and also lower shock mount.
16mm & 19mm wrench to remove top shock mount.
10mm to remove brake line mount.
Jack & stands

Whole job can be done in less than three hours with one person. I'd suggest someone to help insert the new springs. You may need spring compressors but someone else would have to answer that.

I didn't relocate the brake lines with my 2.5 BB but am probably going to put on longer lines since they take strain at full flex. I'm also going to add an adjustable trackbar to mine soon but not essential with a 2.5 lift.

Make sure to get the alignment done afterwards to get the toe-in back in spec. This seems to be a cause for the DW that sometimes occurs.
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure why you need an adjustable trackbar. What effect does the lift have on the trackbar and will adding an adjustable one prevent some early wear on components? I don't have any experience with suspensions, so I'm not sure what all the components are. Also, you mentioned getting the alignment done post lift. To anyone's knowledge, will I have any warranty issues putting on a 2.5" lift.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
versoel
2009 JK Wrangler 

Glad to see you are seeing the light, and putting some lift on the jeep ! 33s are a great size tire to start out with!

You dont need to worry about the trackbar, you will be fine. I am thinking of adding the currie control arms and trackbar with double johnny joints in order to get better slinky effect when off road. other than that, those parts arent really needed with the 2 1/2 in kit.

I have the 4 door rubi, and put this kit on it, with the stock tires and wheels. (Im too cheap to pay for more when these are good for now) I just needed to get the low belly off the ground. No problems with the sway bar, or the ESP.

the warranty stuff is purely up to the individual dealers, and most are leaving the 2 1/2 the limit, in reality you only void the warranty on the parts you change. as far as that goes, you should be just fine with the progressive coils!

the instructions are really straight forward with good pictures, grab a beer, a friend and well just take your time.

Good Luck.
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2TurboMSS View Post
Not sure why you need an adjustable trackbar. What effect does the lift have on the trackbar and will adding an adjustable one prevent some early wear on components? I don't have any experience with suspensions, so I'm not sure what all the components are. Also, you mentioned getting the alignment done post lift. To anyone's knowledge, will I have any warranty issues putting on a 2.5" lift.
The stock track bar is a fixed length arm that reaches down at an angle from your frame (on the driver side) to the axle (on the passenger side). Its main job is to keep the axle centered under the Jeep. In coil 4-link suspensions, there is no other component that keep the axles from shifting side to side, so that's where the TB comes in.
When the suspension flexes, the track bar rotates on a perfect radius at the pivot point on the frame. As the passenger side wheel lowers the bar is not able to reach out further, so the lower it goes, the track bar essentially pulls the axle to the left side of the rig. The same principle applies in a lift. When you lift a Jeep, you're lowering the axle from the frame and the fixed arm of a trck bar prevents both sides from lowering straight down from the frame. An adjustable track bar offers a longer extension that will "push" the axle back to the right side of the Jeep and keep it centered. The lower it goes (or more lift you use) you'll need to adjust the track bar to have more reach. The more the lift, the more need there is to correct this problem. Its not a big deal on 2" lifts because the amount of shift is minimal. Consider that the back side has a track bar too that goes the other dirrection, so as you lift the axles are moving left to right in an opposite direction and a lift of much more than 2" can create a significant shift in axle alignment.
Not sure if that's the response you're looking for, but hope that helps you understand.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
The stock track bar is a fixed length arm that reaches down at an angle from your frame (on the driver side) to the axle (on the passenger side). Its main job is to keep the axle centered under the Jeep. In coil 4-link suspensions, there is no other component that keep the axles from shifting side to side, so that's where the TB comes in.
When the suspension flexes, the track bar rotates on a perfect radius at the pivot point on the frame. As the passenger side wheel lowers the bar is not able to reach out further, so the lower it goes, the track bar essentially pulls the axle to the left side of the rig. The same principle applies in a lift. When you lift a Jeep, you're lowering the axle from the frame and the fixed arm of a trck bar prevents both sides from lowering straight down from the frame. An adjustable track bar offers a longer extension that will "push" the axle back to the right side of the Jeep and keep it centered. The lower it goes (or more lift you use) you'll need to adjust the track bar to have more reach. The more the lift, the more need there is to correct this problem. Its not a big deal on 2" lifts because the amount of shift is minimal. Consider that the back side has a track bar too that goes the other dirrection, so as you lift the axles are moving left to right in an opposite direction and a lift of much more than 2" can create a significant shift in axle alignment.
Not sure if that's the response you're looking for, but hope that helps you understand.
Actually, this was VERY helpful and informative. When you say the shift is minimal...will it, over time, cause me any headaches if I don't correct this minimal shift? Also, does the trackbar only come into play on the trail and effect maximum flex, or is this something that happens on hard pavement as well?
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, are there any indicators that I need to adjust/buy an adjustable track bar? Weird handling, tire wear etc.?
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, are there any indicators that I need to adjust/buy an adjustable track bar? Weird handling, tire wear etc.?
I have a lot of trouble with the death wobble after my lift. Removing the lift eliminated the DW for the most part. I'm putting on the adjustable track bar to see it resolves the problem. Can't say I've seen any abnormal tire wear or anything else.
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
jimb66
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sway Bar disco's are good, especially when you need to full flex.
jimb66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb66 View Post
Sway Bar disco's are good, especially when you need to full flex.
I've got electronic ones stock on the rig, I'm wondering if the 2.5" lift will interfere with it.
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got electronic ones stock on the rig, I'm wondering if the 2.5" lift will interfere with it.
Lots of guys have had problems with the e-disco after a lift - especially a lift that doesn't come with SB links or rear replacements that bring the front sway bar to parrallel to the ground. I can only imagine that it has to do with the new lowered angle of the sway bar.

I'm not sure what was being implied, but the sway bar has nothing to do with the track bar's duties. The sway bar keeps the Jeep stable through a spring-like connection to each end of the axle through the frame - it minimizes sway and that's about it. When disconnected you get more flex beecuase it lets one end of the axle move without any counterforce from the other side. It has nothing to do with alignment or axle positioning.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this, but I have an 08 Sahara with 35K miles. I've had my SB disconnected for nearly 20,000 miles now. The Jeep isn't a vette, so handling isn't a huge deal for me. You've got to flog it pretty hard for there to be a safety compromise. Besides, its actually fun driving w/o it connected. I wheel my rig a lot for both fun and work, so its never been a big deal. I contemplated an e-disco a while back, but I've heard of too many issues to justify the expense. I've gotten so used to it that I don't care anymore.
Long story short - sway bars are over rated
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
I've had my SB disconnected for nearly 20,000 miles now.
not possible in the '08 Rubicons (without adjusting the computer or doing it the old fashioned way). The electronic sway bar won't disengage unless you are in 4WD Hi/Lo and under 18 (or maybe 20) MPH. Not sure I'd want to run discod, but I don't see it being a problem if I could. Like you said, she's not a vette.
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually, this was VERY helpful and informative. When you say the shift is minimal...will it, over time, cause me any headaches if I don't correct this minimal shift? Also, does the trackbar only come into play on the trail and effect maximum flex, or is this something that happens on hard pavement as well?
The shift is minimal (as stated) and causes nothing more (in a 2" lift) than a cosmetic issue of the tires not being centered- looking at the front of the Jeep, the drivers side tire will stick out slightly more than the passenger side does. Likewise at the rear, the passenger side tire will stick out more than the driver side. As long as your alignment is ok, there is no long term issues. And as for the cosmetic issue, the owner is typically the only one that even notices.

The flex on pavement is almost non existent simply because there is no real need for flex. The swaybar will limit the down travel, but again on pavement there isn't going to be any real flex in normal situations.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cosmetic huh?

will the installation of adjustable trackbars fix the cosmetic issue? As you stated, ONLY the driver will notice. However it will drive THIS driver absolutely bonkers knowing his jeep isn't 100% perfectly symmetrical...LOL. I guess, since you have the same lift I want...Did YOU get adjustable trackbars, N2Rock?
--The Zombie Prophet
Unread 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
will the installation of adjustable trackbars fix the cosmetic issue?
Yes, the purpose of the adjustable track bar is to re-center the axles under the Jeep after the suspension lift is installed.

If you do not install the adjustable track bars, other issues that may arise include the tires rubbing in places they normally would not (inside fender flares, control arms, etc.) when your suspension is flexed out.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.