Install LED Turn Signals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Install LED Turn Signals

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
whitejeep2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

Install LED Turn Signals

Can anyone direct me to specific instructions on how to install the load resistors for my led turn lights on my JK? The instructions that came with them are not model specific.

Thanks,

whitejeep2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Load resistors typically go in series with the wiring as LEDs do not offer enough resistance to the TIPM which will think something is awry with the system. Series resistors will add in the needed resistance so that the TIPM thinks everything is OK.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
whitejeep2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I am missing something, or I was not clear in my post. I understand what they do, and I am looking for instructions on how to install a set that I purchased. The instructions that came with them are not specific to my vehicle (a 2010 wrangler). Thanks.
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

You worded it and RockyC explained it fairly well. In series means in the current path. So, when you replace the stock ones, place the resistor on one side of the wire or the other.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
whitejeep2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have to betray my ignorance of all things electrical. I probably need it drawn in crayon.

If anyone has a picture of what the install looks like, that would be great; if anyone cares to explain what "in the current path" means, that would be welcome as well. I installed them at each location (IE, at each front blinker and at each rear blinker) and I am still getting speedy flashing.
Unread 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Blinker rear, yellow white is left rear white is right rear, black is ground. You will need the load placed in the yellow-white wire for the left rear, and the white wire for the right rear.

----yellow/white wire----resistor----yellow/white wire----connector to light.

Same for the white wire.
Unread 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
whitejeep2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

And what about the front?
Unread 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rigs' not handy. So I cannot check on it right now.

Bob K.
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
ThunderFoot

2007 JK Wrangler 

The way I understand the way the failed light sensors function is it measures current flow. If you wire a resistor in series with the LED it will lower the voltage going to the LED; while it WILL show a current as seen by the sensor the lower voltage will affect the LED output. The shunt resistor should be placed in parallel with the LED. This way the voltage will remain the same through the two parallel portions of the circuit with most of the current flowing through the shunt resistor.

If you deduce the resistance of the LED unit then you can determine the needed value of the parallel resistor. Ohm's Law is E=IR where E=voltage, I = current (amps), and R=resistance. The formula for parallel circuits use:
R(c) = 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)) where R(c) = resistance of the whole circuit, R1 is the LED resistance (it has to be calculated), and R2 is the Shunt resistor.
Freedom Top (Black) Soft Top (Black) 285/75R17 TOYO Open Country AT Pro-Comp 3036 17x9 Alloy Wheels TUFFY Security Drawer Delta Quad-Bar Xenon Headlights JK 6-Switch sPOD Source SuperChips Flashpaq Tune
Diode Dynamics LED License Plate Cobra 75 WX ST 4' Wilson Antenna AIRAID SynthaMax Cool Air Dam Intake System Hella FF 500 Driving Lights Hella Black Magic Driving Lights Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover
9" Billet Antenna RR XHD Bumpers Fore & Aft with Storage Ends and Spare Tyre Carrier XRC8 Winch 2.5" Pro-Comp Suspension Bilstein Shocks RECON LED Smoked Turn Signals & Fender Lens

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1958
NRA Patron Life Member
ThunderFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejeep2010 View Post
Can anyone direct me to specific instructions on how to install the load resistors for my led turn lights on my JK? The instructions that came with them are not model specific.

Thanks,
Resistors waste power. Just run more LEDs for the signal!

Or light ThunderFoot said you just have to wire the resistor parallel to the signal light and all is good from then on.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something, or I was not clear in my post. I understand what they do, and I am looking for instructions on how to install a set that I purchased. The instructions that came with them are not specific to my vehicle (a 2010 wrangler). Thanks.

You were very clear in your post!!

Simple way is to use a "Test Light" from any auto parts store. Very inexpensive and handy tool to have around. Turn on your left blinker and at the turn signal find which wire is blinking. Install the resister on that wire. Do the same for the other side.

You must cut the wire to install the resistor, you can not just piggy back it.
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
whitejeep2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

To make this easier for yours truly, I have uploaded some pics to show what I have done. Hoping that I can receive some correction and get this done right.

Driver's side rear

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/photo4cs.jpg/

Driver's side front

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/photo3yl.jpg/

Passenger side rear

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/photo2viys.jpg/

I figure is someone can direct me on these, I can figure the 3rd one out.
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

as nwbronco stated above, looks like the yellow/white wire is the blinker. So cut it into, then place the resistor in between the cut. Look at his explanation again. That's what I meant in my post by you must cut the wire and not just piggy back it. Electricity is like water, it will take the path of least resistance. So you ,must cut the wire and use the resistor to connect the wire back together.
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
And what about the front?
Should only need to add resistor to either front or rear - once the resistance is there the flasher will work and flash the whole system.

Of course that said - on my 57 I replaced the flasher unit with an electronic that flashes at same speed regardless of load! ergo NO resistors installed inline.
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Should only need to add resistor to either front or rear - once the resistance is there the flasher will work and flash the whole system.

Of course that said - on my 57 I replaced the flasher unit with an electronic that flashes regardless of load! ergo NO resistors installed inline.

I have seen some of the Mopar vehicles require resistors front and rear.

Tags
led , led flasher , LED lights , leds

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.