inline 6 jk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > inline 6 jk?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
dcast

inline 6 jk?

so i am getting ready to renew my man card - after having lost my jeep to chrysler's misfortunes, getting a truck and trading that in for a minivan to save money - and have a quick question regarding the jks. I would prefer an 05 unlimited, but see that those are hard to come by these days, and also, the jk would seat my 3 children on the back bench. however, i do not like the direction jeep went in with the engine choice. i love the reliability of the inline 6.

has anyone ever seen or heard of dropping ol' trusty in a new body style? or is there even room? or should i just keep looking around for an 05?

dcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

It'd be more than just dropping in the 4.0L. Transmission, t-case, all of the drive train would have to be custom. Cross member too. And then there is the CANBUS in the JKs that would not even know what to do with your new drivetrain. Save your heartache, find and LJ.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
It'd be more than just dropping in the 4.0L. Transmission, t-case, all of the drive train would have to be custom. Cross member too. And then there is the CANBUS in the JKs that would not even know what to do with your new drivetrain. Save your heartache, find and LJ.

Bob K.
That and it would be illegal as the 4slow will not pass '07+ emissions.
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had the 4.0 in my XJ for 14 years, and in my MJ for 6 or 7 years.
Initially, I didn't like giving up the inline 6, either.
I have found over the past five years the 3.8 in my JK turns the transmission's input shaft every bit as reliably as the 4.0 did in the XJ/MJ.

Any difference between the two wouldn't be worth the swap, even if it could be done.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That and it would be illegal as the 4slow will not pass '07+ emissions.
There is that, of course. Unless you live in an area where there is no emissions testing.

Bob K.
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

There is that, of course. Unless you live in an area where there is no emissions testing.

Bob K.
Exactly! I couldn't imagine living somewhere where you had to get things tested and inspected all the time. Or have a front licence plate for that matter!
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
Exactly! I couldn't imagine living somewhere where you had to get things tested and inspected all the time. Or have a front licence plate for that matter!
It sucks. I had to put a front plate on mine this year after moving. Not happy about it, either.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why on earth would you do this?

"ol trusty"?? The inline 6 is just every bit as reliable as the 3.8 engine. There are a trillion of these engines all over planet earth.

If the 3.8 is so darn heinous, just put in something which Is actually a pretty convenient kit swap with the Hemi. MUCH more "big boy" engine than any 6 cylinder. Probably cost a heck of a lot less too.

This thread reeks of tj trolling. We've kinda seen enough of that over the last SEVEN YEARS.

Need more space? Keep your minivan. You're a dad. Man up.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Just get a 2012 and stop *****ing. The 3.6 with proper gears will make a 4.0 cry like a *****

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Bob K.
Still is illegal and when you sell it you can still be liable when the new owner takes it to a place that requires emission tests.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper

It's worth it to live in Colorado and wheel trails that most have wet dreams about.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
vgibson80

I find the 3.8 in the JK Unlimited to be just fine. Fits my kids, not terrible on gas for the commute, and yes, living in say, NJ sucks for front plates and emissions...
vgibson80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Still is illegal and when you sell it you can still be liable when the new owner takes it to a place that requires emission tests.
I have friends in 3 states with CJs/TJs with 5.2 Dodge, 5.7 GM, and 5.0 Ford motors. The biggest gripe from the areas that care is the engine needs to be from the same MY or newer.

Bob K.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post

It's worth it to live in Colorado and wheel trails that most have wet dreams about.
Haha ya not really my biggest benefit for living here! As much as I love some places down south here there would have to be something really good to draw me from the Great White North!
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
AveCat
2012 JK Wrangler 

Heres the billionth thread on this. The only reason people love the 4.0 is the reliability. The 3.8 and the 3.6 haven't been around long enough to prove themselves. It would cost sooo much money to do it and you would end up with a nightmare of electrical. Would be easier to put a HEMI in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.