Infinity Basslink Subwoofer Install - Info & Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Infinity Basslink Subwoofer Install - Info & Pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Infinity Basslink Subwoofer Install - Info & Pics

Before I sold my Firebird I pulled out my old Infinity Basslink subwoofer and finally got around to installing it in the Jeep today. Just though I'd share some info & pics for anyone who has been thinking the same thing.

This is where I decided to mount it:

I took some shelving board and cut about a 14" by 20" piece which I then slid under the carpet in the back. I place the subwoofer where I wanted it and secured it to the board with some wood screws.

Here you can see the wires entering and leaving the sub:

Since I have the Infinity system which came with a small subwoofer the only two wires I had to run to the front were the Remote and Power wires. The ground and RCA actually run to the back of the Jeep.

Where I tapped into the existing factory sub wires:

I threw out the universal plugs for my Basslink years ago, so I had to use a line level converter to tap into the existing sub wires. Was only about $25 bucks at Best Buy and tucks away nicely behind the carpet. You can also see where I ran my ground wire at the bottom of the picture.

Power and remote wire:

These pictures show where I ran my power wire through the firewall on the passenger side, right behind the side dash panel. You can also see the remote wire coming up from the floor which I ran across the top of the glovebox frame, over the center air vent and then tapped into the 'key' wire that turns on the cigarette lighter when the key is in the ignition. (2nd picture courtesy of MarcusRTJ)

Wider view of the finished thing so you can see where the old stock sub used to be:

Unread 11-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nicely done.
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

How does it sound!? Details...Details!!!... looks good
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJK09 View Post
How does it sound!? Details...Details!!!... looks good
Sounds AWESOME! It actually kinda woke up the existing Infinity system; like it seems that the speakers are actually putting out more power. As for the bass, these Basslink's are awesome.

For being a self powered 200W RMS subwoofer they put out a lotta bass. When I first finished the install I had the doors off and top down and I went for a drive. I could actually hear/feel the bass a bit, where before with the stock sub there was nothing.

Once I put the top up and doors on I had to turn down the gain and bass boost because there was too much bass.
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
weiva
2007 JK Wrangler 

I envy the space you have in your trunk. I have it set up rear facing in my 2 door. Great bass, but it takes up 1/3 of my trunk.
weiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

maybe I need to look at replacing my stock sub with this....

I hate how quiet the stock sub is

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiva View Post
I envy the space you have in your trunk. I have it set up rear facing in my 2 door. Great bass, but it takes up 1/3 of my trunk.
Haha, yeah, one of the pluses of having the 4 door. But it comes at a price what with all the 4dr haters out there saying I don't have a real Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
maybe I need to look at replacing my stock sub with this....

I hate how quiet the stock sub is
Definitely a nice way to go. I was on the fence about it for a while. One day I would think the stock was good enough and the next I thought it sucked haha.

As far as Basslinks go, you could probably find a nice used one on eBay for about 100 bucks.
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

there are a few nice ones on ebay. I have looked

What kind of cables do I need for it if I have the stock infinity system?

I found one without any cables or anything for pretty cheap

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
I found one without any cables or anything for pretty cheap
That would be fine, in fact after taking mine out of the Firebird all I had was the sub. All you'll need is a cheap RCA audio cable, a line level converter like this one I got from Best Buy, some butt connectors, and some 12ga and 14-16ga wire.
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

ok cool. I will look into putting this in the jeep

thanks

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
weiva
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
But it comes at a price what with all the 4dr haters out there saying I don't have a real Jeep
I don't discriminate. If you wave, I'll wave back.

Heck when I have rear passengers I wish I had opted for a 4dr, but parking in DC is a premium and that extra foot does make a difference. Nice to know I can squeeze three adults in the backseat though.

Back to topic, all my wiring is 12ga. I think that's what the Basslink manual suggested.
weiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
fleck
2009 JK Wrangler 

What year firebird did you trade it for ??? I only asked because I am about to do the same thing with my 98 TA Ram Air. I know I will miss it, but I drive my 2000 TJ more than my TA. I am about to Trade both for a brand new Jeep Wrangler.

Are you happy with your decision ???
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
What year firebird did you trade it for ??? I only asked because I am about to do the same thing with my 98 TA Ram Air. I know I will miss it, but I drive my 2000 TJ more than my TA. I am about to Trade both for a brand new Jeep Wrangler.

Are you happy with your decision ???
Hey, I saw you other post which I'll reply to shortly. But to answer your question I actually sold my Firebird to a third party. It was a 1991 with the 5.0L V8. It was in pretty good condition, but need some stuff like a new muffler, power window motor, etc. Got $2500 for it. I miss it, but I got over it pretty quickly since I was able to put the money into lifting and putting brand new tires on my TJ.
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

My Alpine 10" (Powered by my Rockford F 600w) likes to rattle my soft top windows. lol

Sounds great with the top down and doors off.
Unread 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
sean2857
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking about getting that same powered sub last night. I almost bought it but I wanted to look around some more. As for me, I don't have the infinity sound system in my jeep. I'm assuming this sub would still work with mine, I'd just have to use the high level inputs correct??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.