Important jk engine idle repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Important jk engine idle repair

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Important jk engine idle repair

Hi All!

I have an 08 six speed JK 4 Door that has been ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for low speed take off and stalling when backing the vehicle or pulling a load.

Ive had it to the dealer under warranty several times and each time, "previously" they have either said that they couldn't duplicate my issue OR replaced something that FAILED to fix the issue.

My Warranty runs out in Jan SO,,,,,, I have to get this issue solved!!

I did a DETAILED DRIVE with the service manager and made him drive the Jeep.. BAM!! FIRST time he let the clutch out and start rolling,,, the Jeep STALLED and died.. After NUMEROUS stalls,, He agreed that there was an issue that needed to be FIXED!!

They replaced the Cam sensor. NOT FIXED! Today,, they call and said that the PCV Valve was the issue.

WHAT????????????????

They hooked the Jeep up to a real time driving Diagnostic Monitor and found that Throttle Body to be causing the issue. When they contacted JEEP Tech,, they were referred to a TSB for a different KNOWN issue.

NO BULL! They found a Technical Service Bulletin that stated that the WRONG/Defective PCV Valve could cause the issue!

They said that the NEW PCV Valve made the engine run SIGNIFICANTLY Better! There Still working on an AC Issue and I have to wait till thats fixed to see if the PCV fixed the issue.
More to come and I will add the TSB data to the post and all and any amplifying info that I find.

If your JK stalls easily or has a tough time starting off pulling a LOAD when start from a dead stop,, STAY TUNED!!

Bill

BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

No issues here but Subscribed
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Interesting...subscribed
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

If I could fix one thing on the JK, this would be it! My I-6 258 CJ pulls nicely from idle while my '11 JK 6 speed will either flat stall, or sputter sub-idle for several seconds before dying. I know revving more during starts works, just not my driving style. Interested how this pans out for you.
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meon2wheels View Post
If I could fix one thing on the JK, this would be it! My I-6 258 CJ pulls nicely from idle while my '11 JK 6 speed will either flat stall, or sputter sub-idle for several seconds before dying. I know revving more during starts works, just not my driving style. Interested how this pans out for you.
WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, AFTER THREE YEARS of hating my JK's inability to pull off from a stop,,,, All I can say after I picked it up an hour ago is AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. I tried to stall it and it didn't stall.

A damn PCV caused all those issues. I also got 24.3 MPG on the 40 min drive back home. That about 2 MPG better that I usually get on the highway.

I wasn't able to speak with the service manager because the service department was closed on Saturday.

YES,,,,, THAT WAS THE ISSUE and I AM SO GLAD its resolved!!

The new PCV Part number is: 4648973AD (corrected number)

I will speak to the Service manager on Monday and get the info on the TSB. Its deals with Throttle Body repair.

Bill
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool! Let us know how the discussion with the service manager goes. Thanks for the PN too.
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Jeep View Post
The new PCV Part number is: 448973AD
Called to get availability on that part #. They told me its a digit short.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Mopar Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
called to get availability on that part #. They told me its a digit short.
4648973ad
Unread 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the back up. I went ahead and corrected the number in my thread.
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
CGT2358
2008 JK Wrangler 

I notice that it's difficult to maintain or adjust the throttle when releasing the clutch in the JK. Most of the time it's either a very slow start with little gas to avoid the stall or the computer jacks the RPMS up to 1500. Do you feel as though you have more control of the RPMS on the start? I may be next in line to have this done...
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Jeep View Post
A damn PCV caused all those issues. I also got 24.3 MPG on the 40 min drive back home. That about 2 MPG better that I usually get on the highway.

The new PCV Part number is: 4648973AD (corrected number)
Congrats on resolving your issue. I have an 2009 but no stalling problem. 24.3 MPG is a SIGNIFICANT increase! I've seen 21 at best and average 14-17 depending. Wondering if changing PCV's would increase MPG? If so, that would be a great mod.
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My problem was " When I would let the clutch out and throttle up to keep the engine from loosing RPM, the power at low throttle angles wasn't there and the RPMs would fall to a MAGIC RPM and the engine would just run rough and then shutter and then STALL. "

For what ever reason, it was really bad if you tried to reverse up a slight incline.. Unless you hit the throttle hard and then jerked the JK to get it moving, it would stall each time.

After the PCV change,,, I can just about let the clutch out WITHOUT any accelerator and it will move out without stalling. Its like a completly different Jeep now!

When the Service Manager told me it was a PCV Issue causing the problem,, I thought he was being funny..

After going over and over the issue in my head, it kind of makes sense that if the PCV was allowing in too much air, The Throttle By Wire Throttle Body, Throttle blade will be more SHUT that it would be normally (with the correctly calibrated PCV) When its closed that much it has a difficult time managing the air flow at low engine speeds and low load situations.

BC
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
Congrats on resolving your issue. I have an 2009 but no stalling problem. 24.3 MPG is a SIGNIFICANT increase! I've seen 21 at best and average 14-17 depending. Wondering if changing PCV's would increase MPG? If so, that would be a great mod.

tennistom1

If you don't have the stalling issue,, changing the PCV will not have (or) should not have any effect on your engine or engine efficiency.

The air flow thru my engine at part throttle was so screwed up that it was causing engine power issues at low throttle angles. Just like the service manager told me over the phone. Your engine even sounds different when it starts and idles!

If an engine has the stalling issue, caused by the wrong or defective PCV, the correct PCV will make a significant difference.

BC
It DOES sound better!
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
CGT2358
2008 JK Wrangler 

A couple of days ago I changed my PCV out for the recommended per above and it does make a difference. I've noticed more control over the RPMs when releasing the clutch and the idle doesn't choke out as it did before. As for the gas mileage, I haven't been on the highway where I would notice a significant improvement. Driving locally it has improved a couple tenths of a mile but I'm not sure if that's related. All in all, it's a very cheap correction to a very annoying problem.
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
rubizen
2013 JK Wrangler 

1. Recently I have been having trouble with rough idle. I remembered your post about rough idle and bought a
PCV valve at the dealer. I have yet to install it but I hope it helps.

2. BC Jeep, have you had any problems with your '08 burning excessive oil? I have read on this forum that a
bad PCV valve can cause excessive oil burning. I burn 1qt./3k miles. Not excessive in Chryslers opinion but
I still wish it was less.

I'm hoping a new PCV valve will help both my problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.